finally... BITWIG STUDIO! beta 'soon'...

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
kitekrazy

Re: finally... BITWIG STUDIO! beta 'soon'...

Post by kitekrazy » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:29 pm

Timbeaux wrote:did i missed something? is bitwig released or what u talking about?
Yep, you missed a lot. It is the best DAW ever.

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:43 pm

outsidesys wrote:
friend_kami wrote:now, my live is an effects processor and that's it. the rest is studio one...
This sounds interesting. What's your workflow like when doing this? Are you using Live as a Rewire master?
Rewire yes. Aiming to get an 8/8+ sound card and route everything to live, and output ot from live to another soundcard and master computer running studio one.

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:45 pm

agent314 wrote:
so basically you're saying that all other daws sucks, because all of them are linear timeline based, and thus can't be originsl because they all follow the same "standard"?
Who the fuck even mentioned session view except you so you could come up with some bullshit strawman to rage at?

I'm just saying Bitwig doesn't look original. Logic is original and does its own thing. Studio One is original and does its own thing. Bitwig is unabashedly taking Ableton's thing and tweaking it.

Painting a mustache on the Mona Lisa doesn't make you da Vinci, even if it's the best damn mustache you ever saw

You really didn't think this through, did you? Read the quoute and then re-read what I wrote.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:53 pm

Timbeaux wrote:did i missed something? is bitwig released or what u talking about?
Bitwig has moved out of the world of .jpegs and now exists in the animated .gif dimension. the 2D possibilities are endless.

beatz01

Post by beatz01 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:01 pm

dnbhallifax wrote:To me, I see Ableton finally starting to make that shift in its' business strategy lots of companies do where it becomes about "the brand, and the lifestyle"
Couldn't agree more.This is something i've noticed as well - from the colors and layout of the website, the pathetic Steve Jobs wannabe presentation and so on, it all sreams:

"We want to be Apple!"

Like they're drifting more towards the lifestyle/prosumer/consumer market.

Even Push with its predefined scales and the Audio2Midi seem to be designed to make it "totally easy to make music"..

agent314

Post by agent314 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:11 pm

You really didn't think this through, did you? Read the quoute and then re-read what I wrote.
You first, friend.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:14 pm

beatz01 wrote:Even Push with its predefined scales and the Audio2Midi seem to be designed to make it "totally easy to make music"..
:? as apposed to the totally hard to make music camp and those PRO difficult features that others DAWs have?

are we really going to see complaints regarding how easy things are moving forward??

also, this notion of "we want to be Apple"... that is hopelessly inaccurate. when was the last time that Apple released anything that is not glossy?

Ableton's [ugly] website reminds me more of Windows 8 than Apple... anything.
Live 9 has a matte finish.

i rest my case.

skatr2

Post by skatr2 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:27 pm

H20nly wrote:
beatz01 wrote:Even Push with its predefined scales and the Audio2Midi seem to be designed to make it "totally easy to make music"..
:? as apposed to the totally hard to make music camp and those PRO difficult features that others DAWs have?

are we really going to see complaints regarding how easy things are moving forward??

also, this notion of "we want to be Apple"... that is hopelessly inaccurate. when was the last time that Apple released anything that is not glossy?

Ableton's [ugly] website reminds me more of Windows 8 than Apple... anything. Live 9 has matte finish.

i rest my case.
Interestingly enough, ableton's whole selling point from day one has been "look how easy it is to turn those loops into a song". Its never been a platform for the elitist pro who has thousands of dollars of equipment who cant stand that someone would DARE use anything other than pro tools. They took the idea of loop based performance and made it into a suite that could go even deeper. Yet when they push the envelope to make music making easier/less of a hassle, people complain. If the file system is corrupting peoples hard drives, then there is a problem that abes needs to fix. But to knock Ableton for wanting to expand their base and sell software to more than your pro user environment means you didn't know anything about the companies origins in the first place. I was there at WMC when they were first promoting version 1. They promoted it as a tool for producers to play more live with the songs they were creating. It was this simple program that worked with everything. Live music creation made easily. That's what they promoted.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:32 pm

I would disagree that Ableton is following the path of making things easier (for everybody). I find that many things in Live 9 make working harder. I continue to work in Live 8 because I find that easier.

I find that Live 9 has a more constrained and defined idea of what a user wants, and how a user works. L9 focuses on strategies of a specific type of user, rather than making it easier for a many types of user.

If you conform to their idea of their users, you will not find L9 problematic. If you make music differently than that - you will find L9 more problematic than L8.

beatz01

Post by beatz01 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:51 pm

My point was that it looks as if Ableton want a bigger share of the prosumer/consumer market and hence the positioning in the more lifestyle/fun gadgets/"everything is so easy"(although it's not) category.I'm not saying L9 IS easier than L8 or anything, i'm talking about a shift in their MARKETING.

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:07 pm

beatz01 wrote:, the pathetic Steve Jobs wannabe presentation
couldn't help but :lol:

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:19 pm

Angstrom wrote:I would disagree that Ableton is following the path of making things easier (for everybody). I find that many things in Live 9 make working harder. I continue to work in Live 8 because I find that easier.

I find that Live 9 has a more constrained and defined idea of what a user wants, and how a user works. L9 focuses on strategies of a specific type of user, rather than making it easier for a many types of user.

If you conform to their idea of their users, you will not find L9 problematic. If you make music differently than that - you will find L9 more problematic than L8.
Yeah that's my one hope for Bitwig Studio, that it's geared a bit more towards performance and a flexible work environment.
Push is a great example of what you're talking about, but if you go to meet ups or be around other Live users you realize that most people have a 25 key controller if that, their whole market is so specifically geared towards bedroom beat makers that it makes sense for them to wire the whole program in that direction.

agent314

Post by agent314 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:54 pm

L9 focuses on strategies of a specific type of user, rather than making it easier for a many types of user.
How so?

Or I guess more specifically, which types of users do you mean?

simpli.cissimus

Post by simpli.cissimus » Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:56 pm

SpeedKing wrote: EDIT: Obviously I'm not saying that anyone who doesn't LOVE Ableton is childish, but I'm speaking more of the simpli.cissimus' of the world here.
...and that Edit is just a proof that the way you mentioned me shows that you're the one who's childish !

Had the impression to read a Kardashian tweet... :lol:
No! I'll never use the Push-App Live 9 !!!

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:26 pm

agent314 wrote:
L9 focuses on strategies of a specific type of user, rather than making it easier for a many types of user.
How so?

Or I guess more specifically, which types of users do you mean?
"In a gold rush, sell shovels"