Live 9 browser NIGHTMARE !!!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
darkenedsoul

Re: Live 9 browser NIGHTMARE !!!

Post by darkenedsoul » Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:55 pm

maky355 wrote:Guys..is this a bad joke or something..

I am demoing Live 9 and browser is..WHAT THE HECK.

In Live 8 i could place Windows folder shortcuts in Live library and live 8 browser can see it. And every time i want to browse, drag to, save to, my folders which are on different drive, in Live 8 i can just browse to my shortcuts and drag to it and everything is saved where it needed to be.

Live 9 does not recognize Windows folder shortcut at ALL - That has to be a joke. They said that they improved it, but for some reason under "improved" they removed superb functionality..that has to be a joke right...i am simply missing something...

Do not tell me that i should just drag these folders to new browser because even if i do, live 9 does strange things and copies something whatever..

Why i can't use windows folder shortcut anymore??

In case anyone want to ask why i am using windows folder shortcut in my live 8 broweser, it's because it is super intuitive and i can keep my "real" files in place where i want (which is scheduled for periodical backup etc.etc.etc.)..

anyway it worked in live 8 beautiful..
It isn't copying anything when you put a folder/point Places to your samples, it is indexing them into the database. It's a known issue that they are still working on. And yes, a lot of people are rather ticked off at this *regression* in browser functionality....I agree with most of it. But my Loops folder is only 32GB....lots of samples/loops...and my NI Libraries are on the same drive but Live doesn't care about those unless I want to use some of their samples (Battery drum kit stuff for instance) for clips in Impulse or Drum Rack. I don't think I'll be pointing to those locations any time soon.

Mike
http://www.darkenedsoul.net - main website
Ableton Live 8.x/9.x : NI Komplete 8 : Home built 4690K 16GB 500GB SSD, 1TB 7200, 2x2TB.

djcyph

Post by djcyph » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:09 pm

anyone know if there is anything found in the binary that could be used in options.txt to make the browser able to scroll horizontally? i hate having to widen the browser window to see the names of things.

gosinisha

Post by gosinisha » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:42 pm

ableton started shittin when they started selling instruments instead solving vital workflow things in soft and grabbing after the 64bit need trend, but this browser thing is the top of it. i do not understand how can someone release such an idea, didn't anybody in ableton see this feature is contraproductive? what are they doing there? i mean my sample hdd has 2TB! i can not even see the samples if no scan is done?! that's a good joke this time...
thinkpadT520/win7.64/studioONE2/firefaceUC/akaiMPKmini/VSTinstruments/sampleCDs

Goddard

Post by Goddard » Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:30 am

Just wondering... Is it allowed to use Live 8 Suite after installing Live 9 Suite? There is no information about any technical precautions in this matter...
I've noticed kind of a strange behaviour while openning Live 8 project for the first time after Live 9 installation (the Suite version...).
Live 8 scans entire library and it takes quite long time. I haven't noticed any new presets in the Live 8 browser, so I guess it scans it's own library, the old one...
Just wonder if it could influence in any way Live 9 performance?

I've reinstalled Live 9 Suite without most of the included sample packs as Woodwinds, Brass and so on, keeping only M4L stuff and drum packs and I've noticed that spinning wheel spins not that often as before...

Haven't tried it yet with Kontakt, but synths (Reaktor, Absynth, ...) worked just fine...

Updated to 9.0.2 last night. Will test it after work...

Skål!
"Machines are the weapon employed by the capitalists to quell the revolt of specialized labor" Karl Marx

maky355

Post by maky355 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:38 pm

Jesus Christ this new browser thing is total DRAMA. I don't get it. Simple OFF switch for indexing and be done with it.

I really don't get it. Not all of us are stupid and we do like our own organization of folders and no i do not want intelligent (haha i see how intelligent indexing algorithm is) indexing application which is somehow supposed to help me but as far as i can see it:
IT DOES NOT HELP AND A LOT OF PEOPLE THINK SAME

:evil:

gosinisha

Post by gosinisha » Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:12 pm

as far as about me, i moved completely on studio one2 - less clicks than live, browser is fast, no indexing shit, drag n drop works also for external vsti, custom commands... i have faster workflow than live. one2 got me completely and it's stable as a rock.
thinkpadT520/win7.64/studioONE2/firefaceUC/akaiMPKmini/VSTinstruments/sampleCDs

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:52 pm

whatever works ???
if S1 rocks your boat.. why not?

for me the browser is annoying in concept ..true
but it isn't a deal breaker...
before L9 I've used the L8 browser to handle Live content (projects/Sets/racks/m4l)..
and this is still the only thing I use it for...
and it does it fine.. (although not how I'd prefer)
this browser doesn't leave much for personal preference...
(as mentioned)

I have to say though ...
that the browser responsiveness has been greatly improved since (pre-release) beta time
still. not good enough for me to add all my external samples and content and not have to wait for the browser..
not being able to sort the lists with all the info I need..
not being able to know if a clip is audio/midi except dragging it to the set...

that said I'm confident they'll improve as we go..
so far pretty rapid beta releases...
I hope they'll also (really) listen to users requests/input on this..
as the browser should be an integral part of the workflow.. and not something you should need to "throttle"
8)

scientist

Post by scientist » Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:33 pm

i'm a little late to the bashing party, but it just dawned on me that now until the end of time i'm going to have a folder called "Live 8 Library" sitting near the top of the places list.

and my slicing presets are for some reason sitting at the top of the "drums" directory.

also, anyone know if there is a way to delete unwanted folders/presets from the "official" library? i simply do not need "drums", "clips", or "samples" and never want to see them again.

christ, what a mess.

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:58 pm

I'm generally ok with the new browser. It was bothering me that it was a bit slow at start up but 9.02b is waaaaaay faster! Pretty much instant. Much happier now with the new beta.
Professional Shark Jumper.

artpunk

Post by artpunk » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:13 pm

scientist wrote:i'm a little late to the bashing party, but it just dawned on me that now until the end of time i'm going to have a folder called "Live 8 Library" sitting near the top of the places list.

and my slicing presets are for some reason sitting at the top of the "drums" directory.

also, anyone know if there is a way to delete unwanted folders/presets from the "official" library? i simply do not need "drums", "clips", or "samples" and never want to see them again.

christ, what a mess.

I'm not sure why you think it's such a mess, simply right click and select 'delete'?

“... it was just to make an average listener go: ‘What the fuck is this?’ That’s a real inspiration for me and something that I will explore more on upcoming recordings.”
- Wally De Backer (Gotye) quoting Ween's intention behind making records

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:47 pm

You can't do that with the "categories" , which are what he mentions

sp0bjogu

Post by sp0bjogu » Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:04 pm

Please, at least add support for links/aliases/shortcuts in the User Library folder structure. Having to move folders around to suite the software is... beyond words.

Sad. Just sad.

scientist

Post by scientist » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:05 am

funken wrote:I think categories will be of more immediate appeal to new users than to people who have spent years developing their own systems. It's the same with any new stuff.
yeah, for new users this will all be just fine. but as it stands for the rest of us, we're stuck in a position where we essentially have two libraries now.

i tested the feasibility of migrating the old library into the new by re-installing an older live pack (sonica taiko). it's about 1gb in size and just the install process took 15-20 minutes. old sets have no way of finding the new sample paths, so either i keep the old live 8 library intact (duplicated samples and all) or i have to reload every single patch. the clincher: no alert or "missing sample" errors when opening old sets containing these patches. so if i follow through with migrating the library i won't even know when i open an older set with missing samples.

we shouldn't even have to think about this, really. that they didn't sort out a simple migration method is kind of insulting to long time users. i'm counting myself lucky that most of my sample libraries are in third party formats and not live packs.

maky355

Post by maky355 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:05 am

sp0bjogu wrote:Please, at least add support for links/aliases/shortcuts in the User Library folder structure. Having to move folders around to suite the software is... beyond words.

Sad. Just sad.
Yes + 1

Add support for links/aliases/shortcuts i miss this from Live8..

androids

Post by androids » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:18 am

Just noticed today that the new browser is limited to 2 collumns : one for the name, and the other user-selectable.

That's very annoying.

In Live 8 I always used name + date modified + size collumns to find my samples,
now I always have to switch the 2nd collumns from 'date' to 'size' to do the same ...

FRUSTRATING !!!

This + the fact that the browser doesnt 'remember' the last opened folder make
Live 9 browser is def. a big step backward :evil: :evil: :evil:

EDIT :

one more 'bug' ? :

clicking on preview/headphones level pot to inc/dec preview volume STOPS preview play !!!
That sucks !