Live 9 browser NIGHTMARE !!!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
artpunk

Re: Live 9 browser NIGHTMARE !!!

Post by artpunk » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:52 am

Angstrom wrote:You can't do that with the "categories" , which are what he mentions
hmmm... didn't realise that, I know you can remove packs and other items...but I might have been thinking more about his comment:
it just dawned on me that now until the end of time i'm going to have a folder called "Live 8 Library" sitting near the top of the places list
- it can be removed from the sidebar quite easily...if having "Live 8 Library" sitting there too traumatic...

“... it was just to make an average listener go: ‘What the fuck is this?’ That’s a real inspiration for me and something that I will explore more on upcoming recordings.”
- Wally De Backer (Gotye) quoting Ween's intention behind making records

snakedogman

Post by snakedogman » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:50 am

scientist wrote:
i tested the feasibility of migrating the old library into the new by re-installing an older live pack (sonica taiko). it's about 1gb in size and just the install process took 15-20 minutes. old sets have no way of finding the new sample paths, so either i keep the old live 8 library intact (duplicated samples and all) or i have to reload every single patch. the clincher: no alert or "missing sample" errors when opening old sets containing these patches. so if i follow through with migrating the library i won't even know when i open an older set with missing samples.
I dunno man, if you move your samples I don't think there's any software out there that will magically adapt all your projects to new file paths, there's gonna be some manual work involved, unless you always save your projects self contained with all samples in the project. Live should point out any missing samples if you use the project managemement features. From there I find it's pretty easy to have it search for the correct samples, especially if you point it to the right folder. Now I haven't had to do tons of relinking/searching samples so your mileage may vary. But the times I did have to do it, Live did what I expected it to do pretty easily.
Also, just to provide a different experience: since I've upgraded from Live 8 to Live 9 Suite I've been installing a bunch of the big Live Packs that come with it, and at no point did installing multi-gigabyte packs take more than a couple of minutes.

Amaury

Post by Amaury » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:55 am

snakedogman wrote:
scientist wrote:
i tested the feasibility of migrating the old library into the new by re-installing an older live pack (sonica taiko). it's about 1gb in size and just the install process took 15-20 minutes. old sets have no way of finding the new sample paths, so either i keep the old live 8 library intact (duplicated samples and all) or i have to reload every single patch. the clincher: no alert or "missing sample" errors when opening old sets containing these patches. so if i follow through with migrating the library i won't even know when i open an older set with missing samples.
I dunno man, if you move your samples I don't think there's any software out there that will magically adapt all your projects to new file paths, there's gonna be some manual work involved, unless you always save your projects self contained with all samples in the project. Live should point out any missing samples if you use the project managemement features. From there I find it's pretty easy to have it search for the correct samples, especially if you point it to the right folder. Now I haven't had to do tons of relinking/searching samples so your mileage may vary. But the times I did have to do it, Live did what I expected it to do pretty easily.
Also, just to provide a different experience: since I've upgraded from Live 8 to Live 9 Suite I've been installing a bunch of the big Live Packs that come with it, and at no point did installing multi-gigabyte packs take more than a couple of minutes.
Hello,

Actually, if, say, you install the Live 9 Session Drums pack and open a song you made in Live 8, using the Live 8 Library Session Drums, Live will first look for the Live 8 Library, but if the corresponding sample is not found there, it will look for the equivalent sample in the Live 9 pack, without asking a question.

As you can only "save as" the Live set, because it is a Live 8 Live set, your original Live set is unaffected by this change of sample reference.

This should work for all Suite packs and Partner Instruments.

Kind regards,
Amaury
Ableton Product Team

scientist

Post by scientist » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:23 pm

artpunk wrote:
Angstrom wrote:You can't do that with the "categories" , which are what he mentions
hmmm... didn't realise that, I know you can remove packs and other items...but I might have been thinking more about his comment:
it just dawned on me that now until the end of time i'm going to have a folder called "Live 8 Library" sitting near the top of the places list
- it can be removed from the sidebar quite easily...if having "Live 8 Library" sitting there too traumatic...
the point is a i have to have it there because its content was not merged with the current library. hence, two parallel libraries, one of which is full of stuff i don't want or need and cannot be deleted.
snakedogman wrote:I dunno man, if you move your samples I don't think there's any software out there that will magically adapt all your projects to new file paths, there's gonna be some manual work involved, unless you always save your projects self contained with all samples in the project. Live should point out any missing samples if you use the project managemement features.
certainly, except in this case it's me moving samples around because it is the only option, as ableton has provided no facility for doing so. live has essentially changed file paths for us, the only solution to which is keeping the old library intact. i'll repeat: i tested be reinstalling a live pack and moving the old one, and not only did an old project not reconnect, it didn't give any indication that there were missing files. not even using "manage files".
Amaury wrote:Actually, if, say, you install the Live 9 Session Drums pack and open a song you made in Live 8, using the Live 8 Library Session Drums, Live will first look for the Live 8 Library, but if the corresponding sample is not found there, it will look for the equivalent sample in the Live 9 pack, without asking a question.

As you can only "save as" the Live set, because it is a Live 8 Live set, your original Live set is unaffected by this change of sample reference.

Kind regards,
Amaury
thanks for your response. do i need to re-download the live pack for this to work? i installed using the original "SonicaJapaneseTaikoPercussion_v1.0.alp" file i downloaded three years ago. it took 15-20 minutes to "update" as it installed, and the old project did not detect new sample locations. it just opened with no warnings, the samples are not identified in the "missing media files" browser, and when selecting "simpler>sampler" in one of the instruments it says "Sample is offline". maybe a bug?

housemusiclover

Post by housemusiclover » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:30 pm

K1D1M35N wrote:There's a program called "Everything" (Win) which finds every file on your HD in seconds (by name) wihtout indexing, if Live had something like that implemented there wouldn't be days of indexing.
thanks, that program is a lifesaver
just for the record: i of course hate the new browser :cry:

Timbeaux

Post by Timbeaux » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:57 pm

just 4 information, what is the problem with the indexing? i have 250 gb loops and samples and didnt mentioned something is "indexing" ? Where can i select this option?

Amaury

Post by Amaury » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:02 pm

scientist wrote:
Amaury wrote:Actually, if, say, you install the Live 9 Session Drums pack and open a song you made in Live 8, using the Live 8 Library Session Drums, Live will first look for the Live 8 Library, but if the corresponding sample is not found there, it will look for the equivalent sample in the Live 9 pack, without asking a question.

Kind regards,
Amaury
thanks for your response. do i need to re-download the live pack for this to work? i installed using the original "SonicaJapaneseTaikoPercussion_v1.0.alp" file i downloaded three years ago. it took 15-20 minutes to "update" as it installed, and the old project did not detect new sample locations. it just opened with no warnings, the samples are not identified in the "missing media files" browser, and when selecting "simpler>sampler" in one of the instruments it says "Sample is offline". maybe a bug?
You have to download the Live 9 version of these packs for the mapping to work.

Regards,
Amaury
Ableton Product Team

androids

Post by androids » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:08 pm

Timbeaux wrote:just 4 information, what is the problem with the indexing? i have 250 gb loops and samples and didnt mentioned something is "indexing" ? Where can i select this option?
Indexing is automatic when you add your folder under "places".
You know that indexing is running because left to the label "Places" there is a round icon running, like a clock ...
There is no "option" to set in on/off [ yet ;-) ]

250go indexing will take around 3 hours to complete with v9.0.1 before you can fully browse it ...

Timbeaux

Post by Timbeaux » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:01 pm

thx 4 the reply, but i downloaded live 9, installed it, added the folder and it was there, no 3 hours of waiting. so is my library not indexed yet?

su

Post by su » Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:03 pm

Timbeaux wrote:thx 4 the reply, but i downloaded live 9, installed it, added the folder and it was there, no 3 hours of waiting. so is my library not indexed yet?
what? You mean two people actually had different experiences? 8)

As long as you added the folder with your sample to "places" indexing happens automatically. You can access your samples within the browser right?

Timbeaux

Post by Timbeaux » Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:16 pm

sure i can

Goddard

Post by Goddard » Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:28 pm

I've noticed kind of development with 9.0.2 on my MBP... Keeping my fingers crossed.
Unfortunately it's not the same story with my iMac. It crashed during the first session after updating to 9.0.2.
It happened while openning Kontakt 4 (samples?)... I repeated it a few times and got the same response.
Crash reported to Ableton...
Skål!
"Machines are the weapon employed by the capitalists to quell the revolt of specialized labor" Karl Marx

snakedogman

Post by snakedogman » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:08 pm

housemusiclover wrote:
K1D1M35N wrote:There's a program called "Everything" (Win) which finds every file on your HD in seconds (by name) wihtout indexing, if Live had something like that implemented there wouldn't be days of indexing.
thanks, that program is a lifesaver
just for the record: i of course hate the new browser :cry:
uh, sorry but Everything uses indexing. It just happens to be very fast.

From the Everything FAQ:
1.2 How long will it take to index my files?

"Everything" only uses file and folder names and generally takes a few seconds to build its database.
A fresh install of Windows XP SP2 (about 20,000 files) will take about 1 second to index.
1,000,000 files will take about 1 minute.
Great little program though.

One Reason

Post by One Reason » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:33 pm

beatz01 wrote:
Amaury wrote:No indexing at all is not an option.
Why not?

...and if not, you guys better get ur indexing \ browser woes fixed soon, or I foresee quite a drop in your bottom line as people migrate other DAW's that dont slow, or restrict workflow.

beatz01

Post by beatz01 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:49 pm

One Reason wrote:
beatz01 wrote:
Amaury wrote:No indexing at all is not an option.
Why not?

...and if not, you guys better get ur indexing \ browser woes fixed soon, or I foresee quite a drop in your bottom line as people migrate other DAW's that dont slow, or restrict workflow.
Amen to that.

People might not neccessarily switch to other DAWs but very likely just stay with L8.