Can't afford to upgrade right now? I have a plan!!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
ethios4

Post by ethios4 » Tue Jul 26, 2005 12:42 pm

Martyn wrote: An old meditation trick that works when trying to quit the cigs is, when you feel the craving, try and hold the thought of that cigarette in your mind for as long as you can, your mind seems to do the opposite and tends to forget it as soon as possible.
Thats awesome!

Hang in there everybody! Take a deep breath..........feel that? Its already getting clearer in there, and getting better every hour!

smutek

Post by smutek » Tue Jul 26, 2005 12:44 pm

I am in my second day here. Just got to work. Day two.

Yes, I like to suggestion to avoid people today. I will just be a machine over here at my desk and do my work.

Martyn

Post by Martyn » Tue Jul 26, 2005 1:23 pm

ethios4 wrote:
Martyn wrote: An old meditation trick that works when trying to quit the cigs is, when you feel the craving, try and hold the thought of that cigarette in your mind for as long as you can, your mind seems to do the opposite and tends to forget it as soon as possible.
Thats awesome!

Hang in there everybody! Take a deep breath..........feel that? Its already getting clearer in there, and getting better every hour!
pisstaker! :wink:

Alternatively, every time you feel a craving coming on, have an under leg, downward motion, overhand wank, switching legs every 12 strokes. Not too good in the work place mind, but seems to work fine in the privacy of one's own studio. Pretty soon you get soo sleepy that cigs are the last thing on yer mind.

Meffy

Post by Meffy » Tue Jul 26, 2005 2:05 pm

Congratulations, and strength to you. It won't be easy. But you can beat the vampires who want you to stay addicted to their poison.

I'm sure you'll enjoy being able to afford Live 5 but that's the least of the benefits that will accrue to you. Good as Live is, a high-quality Life is better still. Your family will thank you.

Keep at it, friend, with determination.

Meffy

dom

Post by dom » Tue Jul 26, 2005 3:10 pm

hey smutek,

the thread, your plan and the response to the whole topic it is just so great and positive that i wanna take part in encouraging you to keep up with it! so, we @ableton will send you a mousepad and a shirt if you achieve your goal and we hold our fingers crossed for you until then!

there's no turning back now smutek, go for it, go go go, the ableton team is behind you :-)

keep me informed every few days how you're doing, support@ableton.com wil take care ;-)

cheers and the best wishes,
dom
ableton hq

smutek

Post by smutek » Tue Jul 26, 2005 3:14 pm

ha ha! That' sooo awesome! Thanks Dom. You guys rule!

conny

Post by conny » Tue Jul 26, 2005 3:43 pm

Martyn wrote:try and hold the thought of that cigarette in your mind for as long as you can, your mind seems to do the opposite
I like that approach!
I can feel I am on the way to the 24h border and it's beginning to build up some stress now.
Another mental thing is to do it only in say 5 mins.
"I wont smoke for the nest 5 mins"
"And not in the next 5 mins"
"And not in these next 5 mins either"
etc

// C
PC Laptop Acer, XP Home SP2, build in crappy sound card.
Bleeps and Blops!
http://bluemoose.greatnow.com/

ethios4

Post by ethios4 » Tue Jul 26, 2005 4:41 pm

Martyn wrote: Alternatively, every time you feel a craving coming on, have an under leg, downward motion, overhand wank, switching legs every 12 strokes. Not too good in the work place mind, but seems to work fine in the privacy of one's own studio. Pretty soon you get soo sleepy that cigs are the last thing on yer mind.
Wow! Have glass of water with that and you've got your inspiration and your health!! Man, live is great!

conny

Post by conny » Tue Jul 26, 2005 5:10 pm

It's something about this thread...
It makes me love you all and the Abe's!
No turning back.
We could make a fortune as some gang keeping an internet site for positive personal developement (and yea, some caps with a logo...)

// C
PC Laptop Acer, XP Home SP2, build in crappy sound card.
Bleeps and Blops!
http://bluemoose.greatnow.com/

The Mysterious Flying Pum

The easy way to stop smoking

Post by The Mysterious Flying Pum » Tue Jul 26, 2005 5:27 pm

Right move Smutek!

I stoped 4 years ago after reading a book called "The easy way to stop smoking" from Allen Carr. I know a bunch of people that stopped after having read this book too... I recommend this one to anybody that wants to stop that sh*t. No need for substitute when you understand all the nicotine mechanisms...

Good luck!
13" MacBook - 1Gb RAM/OSX10.4 - Live 6

telekom

Post by telekom » Tue Jul 26, 2005 5:36 pm

C'mon guys! GOGOGO!
Now that dom has kindly offered som Ableton goodies I reckon there'll be a flurry of quitters... and a flurry of spoofers too...
It's really cool. I really hope you all get through the difficult bit to begin with. Apparently it's a lot easier after that... :)
MacBook Pro Retina, Live 9.5, Reason, UC33, KRK RP5s, Teenage Engineering OP1, Korg ESX2, Korg Prophecy, Clavia Nord Lead, Bass, Guitars.
http://soundcloud.com/motorradkinophone

Nav

Post by Nav » Tue Jul 26, 2005 5:40 pm

Good Luck Dude!

I gave up 5 years ago you wont regret it, I find it horrible now and I spend the money I save still regularly on sample packs and stuff.

Keep it up, and keep us posted!

zion15

Post by zion15 » Tue Jul 26, 2005 5:52 pm

smutek,

good luck for your task!

it's actually little less than a year since i quit - because i had to prove myself i could, because i realized how nasty product the cig companies have in their hands (once they manage to sell a few packs for you, they start getting a steady cash flow from you... and it's all legal)... and because the habit was starting to feel not-so-good-anymore and it was one reason i was somewhat depressed back then.

the first few days were the most critical but maybe not the worst - i had to keep my hands full of interesting things to do all the time so i wouldnt've thought of cig breaks. having long bike trips, making really crappy tracks, etc.

after that it helped to be proud of the achievement so far and not to give up even if i slipped (i think i smoked half a pack or a pack being very very drunk at a halloween party something like two months later... but next day it was none again)

i can't say i have any more loose money after quitting (but i do eat better food and buy more records and "toys" :) ) but after quitting i managed to start swimming, jogging and all that again and now i'm hopefully a bit healthier and definitely somewhat less depressed than i was a year ago. i can't say if it's been a big improvement or not but at least more of my money now goes to the peoples' pockets who deserve it... like ableton :wink:
| http://www.lumeet.net/ | neverstoplovingmusic |

smutek

Post by smutek » Tue Jul 26, 2005 7:00 pm

You know, I am most amazed that I am doing this w/o a nicotine patch or gum or anything like that. Usually, when I have tried to quit in the past, on the second day I find myself completely jumping out of my skin.

Man, I just decided to get the nicotine out of my system as quickly as possible and chewing nicotine gum and wearing nicotine patches is not the way to get it out quick.

Amazing enough, I am definitely feeling the effects of nicotine withdrawl, but I am not crawling and jumping out of my skin. Ate like a pig today, the wife packed me a huge tuna sandwich, a bowl of vegan stirfry, and a shit load of snacks, etc.

Also have a couple of straws that a sweet old lady here at work gave to me to chew on. They have been helping.

The positive responses in this thread have been awesome and have also become a very strong motivator.

3:00 p.m. day 2, smoke free, hanging tough!

kennerb

Post by kennerb » Tue Jul 26, 2005 7:09 pm

Way to go Smutek!

Both times I quit smoking I had to decide that is what I wanted to do and that was it. I couldn't see any other way. It was tough but after about a month it was easier. I kept reminding myself how inconvenient it was to take time out from the darkroom or audio lab for a smoke.

Conny, get some sunflower seeds dude. I started chewing tobacco since I was 8 until I was 16. It is just as bad as smoking in some ways. It really messes your mouth up. Looking back I can't see how I ever did it but the old timers near me thought it was cute to give an 8 year old chew. boy times have changed quickly!
3ghz Pentium 4 (Prescott), XP Sp2, 1gig Ram, Dual Monitor with Matrox Millenium, MOTU Traveler, Event EZ8 Adat card. Also IBM THinkpad t40 1.6 1 gig ram