All times are UTC

Post subject: Managing VSTs and MIDI looping
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:25 am 

I am looking to create songs consisting of several loops created from the Synth VST. The kicker is that each loop would use a different preset, so I wouldn't be able to simply use one MIDI track and simply keep layering stuff on top of the rest. At this point in time it seems that the only way to achieve this is to run several MIDI tracks (each with it's own VST) so that I could create the different loops using different presets.

This isn't a very elegant or CPU-efficient method, and I'm assuming Live has a better way of doing this where I only have to run one single instance of the VST. What can I do?

P.S.: I tried following those videos online to allow my Launchpad to do LED feedback on the User 1 channel, but I can never find the Launchpad on the "Audio To" dropdown menu. I am using Live 8 Intro, is this something only available in the full version? I have the Launchpad set-up and working otherwise.

Post subject: Re: Managing VSTs and MIDI looping
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:30 am 

PFN78 wrote:
I tried following those videos online to allow my Launchpad to do LED feedback on the User 1 channel, but I can never find the Launchpad on the "Audio To" dropdown menu.

That sounds wrong. See my written tutorial with routing diagram here:

Mapping drum racks to the Launchpad

This also shows an extra track which is a visual metronome in the top right corner of the 'Pad.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:56 am 

Funk N. Furter wrote:
PFN78 wrote:
I tried following those videos online to allow my Launchpad to do LED feedback on the User 1 channel, but I can never find the Launchpad on the "Audio To" dropdown menu.

That sounds wrong. See my written tutorial with routing diagram here:

Mapping drum racks to the Launchpad

This also shows an extra track which is a visual metronome in the top right corner of the 'Pad.

I attached a photo of my screen to illustrate my problem.

The dropdown menu never seems to allow me to choose the Launchpad as a MIDI output. I am stuck using Live 8 Launchpad Edition until I can purchase the full Live 9, so maybe that is the cause. I can't seem to print screen my MIDI Sync screen, but for Control Surface, Input, and Output I chose "Launchpad".

Thank you!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:03 am 

In MIDI Preferences, on the bottom half of the page, turn the Launchlad ON for Track. Remote too if you feel inclined.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:23 am 

yur2die4 wrote:
In MIDI Preferences, on the bottom half of the page, turn the Launchlad ON for Track. Remote too if you feel inclined.

I did for both Launchpad input and output, but what's odd is that the button for "On" for "Track" for Launchpad output is highlighted in white as opposed to the normal yellow when selected. Why is that?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:58 am 

Are you also using Automap? Aside from that possibility, I'm not entirely sure. I also do not know if it has to do with using Launchpad Edition, but I wouldn't imagine that it would be one of the limitations.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:52 am 

yur2die4 wrote:
Are you also using Automap? Aside from that possibility, I'm not entirely sure. I also do not know if it has to do with using Launchpad Edition, but I wouldn't imagine that it would be one of the limitations.

I can't tell if I'm using Automap, although I've never had problems before with Launchpad and Ableton. How do I tell if it's in use?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:26 pm 

Actually to get back to the topic...

Ideally I want to be able to only run one instance of my VST but be able to use it to create three entirely separate tracks using different presets. At the moment the only way it seems that I can achieve this is by having three separate MIDI tracks each with it's own instance of the VST in question, but this isn't very efficient and Ableton's gotta have a more elegant solution (especially since I'm stuck using Intro and have a limit on the number of VSTs I can use at once).

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:08 pm 

A few vst's let you have multiple instruments within them (Native Instruments Kontakt is an example).

In that case, you can set each instrument within it to a separate midi channel. Then each midi channel routed to that vst would have selectable channels. (Or sometimes a list of the loaded instruments)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:07 pm 

Are you doing this live? If not why not just have an audio track that records the output of the synth. Then you can have all the preset sounds in one track.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:09 am 

Theo Void wrote:
Are you doing this live? If not why not just have an audio track that records the output of the synth. Then you can have all the preset sounds in one track.

I considered doing that. Only thing that would hold me back would be concerns about audio quality, clipping, bad timing causing mistakes, etc. I'll have to try tomorrow after work.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:16 am 

PFN78 wrote:
Theo Void wrote:

I considered doing that. Only thing that would hold me back would be concerns about audio quality, clipping, bad timing causing mistakes, etc. I'll have to try tomorrow after work.

When I'm producing I basically bounce EVERYTHING down to audio eventually. Ill make things in midi bit I like working w audio better