"Playing" Impulse or Simpler with MIDI keyboard/dr

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
joeleby

"Playing" Impulse or Simpler with MIDI keyboard/drum pads?

Post by joeleby » Fri Jul 22, 2005 3:51 pm

I'm trying to use the impulse instrument as a sampler-like controller for my Trigger Finger, but when i click the MIDI button (to map midi info) the impulse instrument does not highlight the sample-triggers as "mappable". why is this? can impulse/simpler only receive sequenced midi data? it seems so simple. anyone know about it?

zion15

Post by zion15 » Fri Jul 22, 2005 4:10 pm

both are triggered by midi notes. simpler responds to the whole note range, impulse has predefined note values - i think they're something like C2 D2 E2 F2 G2 A2 B2 C3 or maybe octave higher. you can't change it so you'll have to either use the pitch / scale midi plugin before impulse or (preferably) map the trigger finger keys to the correct midi notes.

otherwise, you control them like you control vst instruments - arm the track for recording and start playing. :wink:

if you didn't understand, the manual is probably pretty helpful on this one too.
| http://www.lumeet.net/ | neverstoplovingmusic |

john_sweet

Post by john_sweet » Tue Jul 26, 2005 5:58 pm

Make sure you've installed the presets into Trigger Finger from the Enigma software, then press Command+Pad 10 on the Trigger Finger (thinks that's right, but I'm working from memory). This puts the pads in the right octave for you as a nice jump-off point. Tweak from there.

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Tue Jul 26, 2005 6:02 pm

To make a short story...short, the notes aren't mappable. They just work. Just arm the track, load up preset 10 and play.
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.