simple editing trick

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
dirtystudios

simple editing trick

Post by dirtystudios » Mon Mar 31, 2003 10:38 pm

i'm guessing that most people have figured this out already, but it took me 'till now and my life is a lot easier because of it.

when your editing in the arranger veiw and you have, say, a one measure loop that you've extended for a while. if you need to edit just a portion of that loop, such as needing to make volume adjustment on a single hit, or you want to glitch a little section by adjusting some warp markers or something, just select the section that you want to edit, then copy and paste in place. shazaam, you have that little section in it's own clip that can be edited without affecting the rest of the loops.

definately simple, and kinda obvious, but it didn't occur to me for a while so i figured i'd throw it out there just in case.

k

billymozart

Post by billymozart » Tue Apr 01, 2003 8:35 pm

nice trick. havve you had it cause any confusion with dragging and dropping since I think it leaves the original clip underneath it in the same place, but silent?
I'd like to donate my 255 characters to the deep space fund

dirtystudios

Post by dirtystudios » Tue Apr 01, 2003 8:51 pm

as far as i know, if you paste something it erases whatever's underneath. the exception to this is if you try to paste a sequence that has gaps between clips over a section of solid clips, the underlying clips will remain in the pasted sections gaps.

k

billymozart

Post by billymozart » Sat Apr 12, 2003 11:15 pm

thanks for the clarification
I'd like to donate my 255 characters to the deep space fund

logickal

Post by logickal » Tue Apr 22, 2003 11:37 am

Is this not the same thing that happens if you use the "Split" command (CMD-E)? One fewer keystroke...

dirtystudios

Post by dirtystudios » Wed Apr 23, 2003 7:38 pm

well, you learn something new everyday don'cha? i suppose it is. i had no idea that was even there, thanks man.

k