Advanced: Losing vibrato when copying/duplicating midi notes

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
CancerRidden

Advanced: Losing vibrato when copying/duplicating midi notes

Post by CancerRidden » Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:53 am

I have a melody that I manually played on the MIDI, which has a vibrate-like after effect programmed into the synth.

However, when I copy/duplicate those notes over to the rest of the pattern it loses the vibrato.

What is the issue here and how do I copy/duplicate while keeping the vibrato ?

Adrian Myers

Re: Advanced: Losing vibrato when copying/duplicating midi notes

Post by Adrian Myers » Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:06 pm

Depending on the synth/library in question, it's possible that the vibrato is controlled by CC1/CC2 or some other controller which is not being copied in your selection.

For example, a number of Kontakt sample library developers put vibrato depth on CC2. If you assign that to a fader, then play a passage where you ride the fader but bring it down at the end, that will all get recorded. If you copy the notes and paste them inside the same clip without also manually copying over the CC2 envelope data, then it will hold the final, low value throughout the second block of notes.

In your case, the detailmay be different, but it's probably just something to do with CC data.

Cheers,
-A

outsidesys

Post by outsidesys » Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:25 pm

Adrian Myers wrote:it's possible that the vibrato is controlled by CC1/CC2 or some other controller which is not being copied in your selection.
If that's the case, then editing at the clip level instead of editing at the midi event level will fix the issue. If you're working is session view, copy the clip to the arrangement view, and split the clip up into the parts you want to keep. Then duplicate and combine the clips to get the length you want.

If you want to stay in session view, change the start/end points of the clip, crop the clip, and then duplicate the clip loop to your desired length. This last part assumes you're using Live 9.

CancerRidden

Post by CancerRidden » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:33 pm

This indeed was the problem, instead of copying over the individual MIDI notes, I copied over the entire "clip" and the vibrato did come over.

Thanks guys.