Sitting on the Fence - Push or Maschine

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
skatr2

Re: Sitting on the Fence - Push or Maschine

Post by skatr2 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:56 am

Please learn some basic reading comprehension numbnuts. BY ITSELF, meaning you still rely on live to work a live environment, congrats to deadmou5 on employing a drumkit in his set. You just proved with that example that you can't employ machine or all its automapping crap to do it all. You still rely on other controllers and other environments to get anything worth a damn. But go on douchebag...keep talking! Were all just waiting to be saved!

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:15 am

I've gotta admit. Maschine is really great at what it does. Self-contained, it is full of options. Most of which can be exploited immediately from the controller. And I love it particularly for a non linear workflow. But, no matter how elaborate of a scheme you try to build, it feels like most of the magic stops at the border of the Maschine itself. It handles audio input great, but when doing audio Or pattern out, things start feeling less and less flexible. I cannot stress enough how great it is for itself though. Ugh. I love it. (And it Is a rather versatile midi controller to boot!).

But Push integrates with Ableton fucking Live. Live for me is one of the greatest tools I've ever laid hands on haha. And I just so happen to enjoy attempting to play instruments :).

I am actually pretty torn as to which I'd confidently recommend over the other. It does of course depend on the situation and person, but I also have to let Push sink in a while. See how naturally its standard controls feel over time. Get the freshness outta my system.

blinkeye

Post by blinkeye » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:20 am

skatr2, I get that you're clearly getting worked up by humnumb's antics but you're not really helping this discussion by the way you're going about it.
skatr2 wrote:Please learn some basic reading comprehension numbnuts. BY ITSELF, meaning you still rely on live to work a live environment
You never said "by itself". Your exact words were that it "lacks in ability to support a serious live environment".
skatr2 wrote:congrats to deadmou5 on employing a drumkit in his set. You just proved with that example that you can't employ machine or all its automapping crap to do it all. You still rely on other controllers and other environments to get anything worth a damn.
I know you're just trolling but that's really uninformed and disrespectful to serious performers such as Underworld, Modeselektor, Booka Shade, Plastikman, Mount Kimbie, Bass Klef...etc. that do rely on Maschine for their live setup.

skatr2

Post by skatr2 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:33 am

In the comparison I used live "by itself" where machine "by itself" can't...as numbnuts like to have people believe. That's basic reading comprehension. Truth is nobody is employing machine in standalone in a live environment. They are adding other elements. Its not all inclusive to machine. But he can keep on posting those promo videos Ni has. They make any performance look crisp and perfect!

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:43 am

Machine is just drum machine tool for them. Disrespecful for what? Lol...

humnumb

Post by humnumb » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:47 am

skatr2 wrote:Truth is nobody is employing machine in standalone in a live environment.
skatr2, these guys would like to have a word with you about calling them nobody:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqUb3-tRs_A
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtXHghVH1d4

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:50 am

blinkeye wrote:
skatr2 wrote:Live is a better application as a whole for sound designers who don't want a bunch of presets
Disagree. The truth is that the real answer is going to be a purely subjective one for everyone. I personally prefer Maschine (which is not at all about presets by the way) for sound design because of its inherent hands-on nature. There's something about the immediacy of having all the tactile controls at your fingertips that encourages a certain process and end result that I might not get if I keep getting interrupted by having to grab a mouse or what have you. As much as some people keep going on and on about the mouseless nature of Maschine, there is definitely something there that suits the workflow of many people, especially for sound design.
No that is objective. People don't call it sound design but preset choosing, unless you mean you are searching over 10 pages to find exact knob while creating own preset from the ground.

By the way, a pathetic sales man is still repeating quoting their company ad of their drum maschine :lol:
Last edited by pencilrocket on Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

blinkeye

Post by blinkeye » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:54 am

pencilrocket wrote:Machine is just drum machine tool for them.
Nope. Not true, at least for the live setups that I know of for Deadmau5, Underworld, Modeselektor, Booka Shade, and Mount Kimbie.

skatr2

Post by skatr2 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:56 am

humnumb wrote:
skatr2 wrote:Truth is nobody is employing machine in standalone in a live environment.
skatr2, these guys would like to have a word with you about calling them nobody:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqUb3-tRs_A
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtXHghVH1d4
More NI promo videos. Yawn. Keep trying numbnuts.

mutant23

Post by mutant23 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:59 am

To the guys on both sides of the fence: Let's give it a rest, shall we?

nemoy

Post by nemoy » Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:01 am

You really can't compare these two!
it just doesn't work.

Ableton is something completely different, than maschine.
and in my opinion it's much much much mor versatile.

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:17 am

blinkeye wrote:
Nope. Not true, at least for the live setups that I know of for Deadmau5, Underworld, Modeselektor, Booka Shade, and Mount Kimbie.
Booka Shade explained he loads his main production sample to it to trigger while playing a track. That's what tool called drum machine has been doing no matter how you try to call.

blinkeye

Post by blinkeye » Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:48 am

pencilrocket wrote:
blinkeye wrote:
Booka Shade explained he loads his main production sample to it to trigger while playing a track. That's what tool called drum machine has been doing no matter how you try to call.
They use it to resample loops and trigger them over their tracks. That's not what most people mean when they say "drum machine" but suit yourself. :roll:

dysanfel

Post by dysanfel » Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:07 am

Man, looking closer at the Spark it is intriguing since I already own a APC40. You get the step sequencer on top like Push, it is just a simple drum machine and does not overlap solutions I already have covered like clip launching. I think I would rather have horizontal pads for drumming. The drum pitch and other must haves get dedicated knob. The software looks simple and song mode looks dead easy. It sounds great. It is up to $200 cheaper If you look around.

Whats the catch? Is it buggy as hell? Cheap build?
Gig Rig - rMBP 2.3GHZ i7, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD, OSX 10.13.x, Presonus FS, Live 10.x
Home Rig - i9 eight-core Hackintosh 32GB DDR4, 2nd Generation Scarlett 18i20, ADA8000, JoeMeek SixQ, Live 10.x

panten

Post by panten » Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:39 am

mutant23 wrote:To the guys on both sides of the fence: Let's give it a rest, shall we?
We can't help it man, Maschine is too awesome and Push is so shiny new :D