I'm interested to see how people take Push as an instrument.

Discuss Push with other users.
Upright

I'm interested to see how people take Push as an instrument.

Post by Upright » Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:41 pm

Sense Push is so playable and it's very easy to learn chord shapes..it's going to be interesting to see how dedicated people will become to playing Push as their primary instrument. As a guitar player I feel like Push is a great way for me to better express myself on keyboard instruments. What do you guys think about Push as an primary instrument?
Last edited by Upright on Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

yur2die4

Re: I'm interested to see how people take Push as an instrument.

Post by yur2die4 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:07 pm

Yes.

Right now though, every time I try things, it always ends up sounding like a guitar band in Africa. Damn those thirds. ...but I like how it sounds still :P

BobTheDog

Post by BobTheDog » Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

As a guitar player myself it makes more sense than a piano layout to me. I have a harmonic table keyboard http://www.c-thru-music.com/cgi/?page=prod_axis-49 and push is much easier for me than that is.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:18 pm

I'm very envious of whatever the hell is inside the heads of experienced guitar players right now. I can see, and understand how it is so similar, and matches their thinking style. And it makes me imagine their eyes lighting up as they just play the shit out of it like it is nothing haha. I can clearly see the correlations, but for me, all of it is new since I do not have guitar experience :/

I want that :P. I guess I'd better practice!

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:41 pm

Watching someone play it last month in a seminar I would say that of the top of my head my impression was that it's ripe for soloing with all that key signature binding it does.
Whether that's good or bad is individual choice. I'm not that in to solos, but even as a guitar player primarily I find it easier to solo on keyboard, because the note layout is so linear.

I have a hard time believing it's going to make for more interesting choices chord wise, but that's me.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:45 pm

Yeah, chord wise.... beyond the scales available, I don't know how creative one would really get in Chromatic mode. The spacing bugs me a little.

In Key however, if I'm playing simple triads, I can see myself plodding along with embellishments, or using my free hand to do sip my coffee and play solitaire on the computer.

humnumb

Post by humnumb » Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:53 pm

Great. I was glad to see the self-indulgent guitar solo wankery fad die out and now we get to hear it resurrected with Push solos. Just what we need more of. :roll:

:x

BobTheDog

Post by BobTheDog » Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:23 pm

yur2die4 wrote:I'm very envious of whatever the hell is inside the heads of experienced guitar players right now. I can see, and understand how it is so similar, and matches their thinking style. And it makes me imagine their eyes lighting up as they just play the shit out of it like it is nothing haha. I can clearly see the correlations, but for me, all of it is new since I do not have guitar experience :/

I want that :P. I guess I'd better practice!

As you should know there's not much going on in a guitarists head :wink:

Asymmetricalmusic

Post by Asymmetricalmusic » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:20 am

I haven't enjoyed playing a new instrument this much in a long time.

Im teaching myself triads again it's actually really fun and great for creating progressions and voicings I might not have played otherwise

I love it.

I really hope I can work it in with rest of my MIDI controller in my live set-up

panten

Post by panten » Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:00 am

humnumb wrote:Great. I was glad to see the self-indulgent guitar solo wankery fad die out and now we get to hear it resurrected with Push solos. Just what we need more of. :roll:

:x
Maybe NI can catch up and give their next Maschine controller more buttons and we can all wank together ;)

artpunk

Post by artpunk » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:12 am

Guys & Gals, those of you who actually have a PUSH (unlike Mr Humbum) - don't enjoy using it too publicly in the forum, we might rain on his one man sour grapes parade... That would be thoughtless of us. :wink:

“... it was just to make an average listener go: ‘What the fuck is this?’ That’s a real inspiration for me and something that I will explore more on upcoming recordings.”
- Wally De Backer (Gotye) quoting Ween's intention behind making records