Who is actually happy with the direction Ableton is going?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
tintala

Re: Who is actually happy with the direction Ableton is going?

Post by tintala » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:22 pm

Blendton wrote:
skatr2 wrote:8O blendton! put down the coke. holy shit!
Done on october 2009.

But that was close : I'm the only French guy taking 4 x 40mg Ritalin LA capsules a day, offers by the highest authority in these cases, because in France, in theory it's illegal to swallow even one each morning when older than 18

Anyway even without legal speed 100% therapeutic certified and legal, I'm often unable to escape that "berbose mode enabled" state, sorry anyway if you find it disturbing, I leave now.

And just in case, try to be careful with coke too dude, :)
send me some ritalin, get some serious work done with that... 8O

Blendton

Post by Blendton » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:29 pm

tintala wrote:
Blendton wrote:
skatr2 wrote:8O blendton! put down the coke. holy shit!
Done on october 2009.

But that was close : I'm the only French guy taking 4 x 40mg Ritalin LA capsules a day, offers by the highest authority in these cases, because in France, in theory it's illegal to swallow even one each morning when older than 18

Anyway even without legal speed 100% therapeutic certified and legal, I'm often unable to escape that "berbose mode enabled" state, sorry anyway if you find it disturbing, I leave now.

And just in case, try to be careful with coke too dude, :)
send me some ritalin, get some serious work done with that... 8O

In fact, if you were able to see how I speak move etc, I don't understand why people would want to take Ritalin, in my case it's unfortunately and without doubt necessary, but I'm often TOO serious and that's it. In case of your brain cemicals being affected THAT way, I'm always calm and "wise-talking slowly" like if I was an elder, shit ... :)
Antoine, aka Blendton.

Ableton Live 9 Suite (64-bit) & Ableton Suite 8 + Max for Live (32-bit)
Toshiba Qosmio F750 + lenticular glasses-free 3D
i7 2670QM 2,20GHz - 2x4GB DDR3-1333 - 5400rpm HDD

kryptonitejesus

Post by kryptonitejesus » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:35 am

Some very thought provoking stuff here, and yes, Live to me is unparalleled at live performance, I'm just personally not happy with any of the strides in the Arrangement side of things, they are making improvements just not at any reasonable speed, in my own opinion I guess, and as for you guys raving about the new compressor and EQ welcome to 2009... the Glue is 4 years old, lol!

lo.key

Post by lo.key » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:59 am

quite frankly, in my opinion the daw-side of live has had far too much of the spectrum of abletons attention over the recent years. Im very pleased to see them devoting more attention to the more interesting and unique aspects of the software. Session clip automation recording is the real improvement here, and it allows for a much different workflow than the arrangement focus.

doctorswiss

Post by doctorswiss » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:58 am

I purchased Live 9, and I am extremely happy with the product. To put it simply, what sold it for me was the following:
-Ableton finally implemented spectogram on the EQ Eight, so now I don't have to rely on VSTs to do proper EQing. And oh did I mention full screen EQ'ing ?
-I can beatbox a rhythm / Melody or play chords right into ableton as an audio track and it will immediately turn it to midi if I choose to do it
-the new implemented Glue Analog based compressor is absolutely dope, it definitely helps putting all the different components of your track in place.
-The interface feels a lot more user friendly, and its finally possible to search through all samples / ableton presets for sounds.
Hope this helps,

Doctor Swiss

brettonwoodsapocalypse

Post by brettonwoodsapocalypse » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:53 am

I have been very satisfied with L9 and I think overall that Ableton is taking the right direction. Other sequencers are all about adding features on top of other features. Live is about 2 workflows : composing and playing your music live. the third workflow ( mixing ) can be done more efficiently with other software.
In that sense Push will probably be at the heart of Ableton strategy as it provides a new way to compose faster and more hands on. I exepect more tools from Abes in the future on the composing side ( scale tool cubase style ) or the playing live side ( master tracks clips with tempo/key changes + envelopes would be awesome for example ).
The only thing that could have really killed my interest in Live ( lack of stability ) seems to be gone. The thing hasn't crashed on me once so far.

Pandamonium

Post by Pandamonium » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:23 am

doctorswiss wrote:I purchased Live 9, and I am extremely happy with the product. To put it simply, what sold it for me was the following:
-Ableton finally implemented spectogram on the EQ Eight, so now I don't have to rely on VSTs to do proper EQing. And oh did I mention full screen EQ'ing ?
Are your ears untrained/completely fucked?
Visit Pandamonium Records homepage @ http://www.pandamonium.com.au

Site best viewed with stereo cranked.

Blendton

Post by Blendton » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:51 am

lionelrc wrote:I have been very satisfied with L9 and I think overall that Ableton is taking the right direction. Other sequencers are all about adding features on top of other features. Live is about 2 workflows : composing and playing your music live. the third workflow ( mixing ) can be done more efficiently with other software.
In that sense Push will probably be at the heart of Ableton strategy as it provides a new way to compose faster and more hands on. I exepect more tools from Abes in the future on the composing side ( scale tool cubase style ) or the playing live side ( master tracks clips with tempo/key changes + envelopes would be awesome for example ).
The only thing that could have really killed my interest in Live ( lack of stability ) seems to be gone. The thing hasn't crashed on me once so far.
Here we are ^^ !

Everyonehere has his proper interpretations about events and expectations...

For instance, I'm as postitively surprised and working is different in a subtle but efficient way... On the contrary, since I'm on the old combo "Launchpad + APC40", doesn't like touch sensitives encoders because they make me more "jokes" than improving anything, the screen is useless since I'm already anable to recall a Maschine or a SK MK II and I jst know I look at the "big" one, I could just want some "precalc" trucks from Push but they are almost all already available by other means... Even plaing leads on a Launchpad without pressure-sensitibity is replaced by controlling vel stuff with mapped rotaries on the APC...

And as I already said, or supposed, is that the mysterious Vitwig, "in production" from ex-Abe people but two names don't mean two businesses and I feel deception from those who choose to dislike Live because their satisfied mates, when Bitwig'll be out, will have I think a f***ing good surprise... But I don't believe and never will until being eventually and without questions totally wrong... Business has been my easiest job (also the most insane ) and envisioning a "Ableton did it again : after coupling the unthinkable Max with successs, then put it in the bundle, Bitwig could be the 3rd punch in our face in Abe's very smart "money making" dudes...

Push, well, it's like a girl I look at a phtoto of her, "seems good" but I can't afford it and it's obvious that stuff is sexy, and surely very "able to make able to etc", you know, tricking and working differently... But I never asked Abe's for Push, if I had to be obcesssed by hard stuff I probably will go looking at Fairlight CMI-30A or Moog stuff...

Ah yes, automations + "bread / butter" effects updated, nice when I use it but not enough "firework looking" features lol, the one which decided me BEFORE having the Live 9 beta access, I focused on that 499€ OIC collection : what I needed, then "POW, it's a free gift bundled @ the next Suite, I'll buy it. I will" ... and I did, and... time to I go back on my track ;)

Enjoy, kind regards dudes :)
Antoine, aka Blendton.

rluk

Post by rluk » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:02 pm

doctorswiss wrote:I purchased Live 9, and I am extremely happy with the product. To put it simply, what sold it for me was the following:
-the new implemented Glue Analog based compressor is absolutely dope, it definitely helps putting all the different components of your track in place.

Doctor Swiss
Dude you can't do both - admit you need to use your eyes for EQ-ing and commenting how good a compressor is. Choose one.

SpeedKing

Post by SpeedKing » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:21 pm

I'm fine with the direction Ableton is moving, yes. It's still the best DAW out there for me from a songwriting perspective. I will admit I am no master masterer, so if there's weakness in terms of any late-stage fine tweaking and mastering, then it will be unnoticed by me. But yeah, as for songwriting, inspiration, speed and workflow, it's perfect.

I personally am not one who will be interested in Push or any other controller, so I hope that they don't put to much emphasis on that side of things. I do all my stuff with traditional instruments, however, I realize that tons of people use controllers and things like that, so I get why they'd put more emphasis and focus there.

davidsl222

Post by davidsl222 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:19 pm

I play guitar at home for myself for enjoyment. I like to record my playing and produce different music - all for myself and I often will work on something for a day and then not save it. I just don't care about the end result. I enjoy the process. I have a good enough understanding of music theory and midi and sampling that I can create some truly interesting and also some terrible music all for fun -- like drawing or any other artistic hobby.

So for two years I struggled with Pro Tools 8 and 9. I could make it work just fine and then for no apparent reason it would just stop making sound and I'd spend an hour or more figuring out what I did or what configuration was wrong or what driver was missing and why. Over and over it zapped my creativity and fun. What a waste of money and time. I get angry just remembering those days.

The last time I had trouble with Pro Tools was the first time I loaded Live. I figured out how to use it I've never looked back. It's an easy way to create in pieces and all on the fly and I have never had technical difficulties with Ableton and my hardware or other software.

So whatever they are doing or not doing it works for me. When I get the PUSH in a day or two (yeah, I'm actually supposed to get one) I am anxious to create tracks with the drum sequencer and keyboard and play my guitar with it and then do it again and again because for me that is entertainment. I'm just someone who wants to play guitar and make music. I can't say whether it's the best at doing this or that because I don't know but it works for me.

So I am happy with Ableton and the direction they are going. It works for what I do.

gosinisha

Post by gosinisha » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:45 pm

NOT HAPPY - already changed the software before L9 came out and sold L8. it was a good decision i see now.
thinkpadT520/win7.64/studioONE2/firefaceUC/akaiMPKmini/VSTinstruments/sampleCDs

distaudio

Post by distaudio » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:17 pm

My biggest complaint if I had any is not so much with Live itself but Push.

When Live first hit the scene it was what everyone was using for Live performance but cause of the ability for improvisation and stability of the software itself.

Now Push hits the scene. We start hearing words like "workflow"? I've watched many videos of what are described as live performances but all I've seen are guys pressing buttons and scrolling through menus.

Yeh sure you can use user mode and create your own mappings and Max4Live integrates with it blah blah blah. But from what I have seen of user mode it takes a damn lot to get user mode setup to provide any visual feedback and light functions which would be a requirement for live performance. Yes all of this can no doubt be achieved with scripts and what not, but not being able to override mappings in instrument or drum rack mode?

I dunno, to me it just seems that Ableton is moving away from what Ableton used to be. Yes you cant continue to stay in the same spot but you can improve on your original guiding principals.

Granted it is great from a composition point of view and certainly gives Maschine a run for its money.
Last edited by distaudio on Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Blendton

Post by Blendton » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:38 pm

It's kind of funny having myself thinking about what you write from your point of view and I understand as a diapointment from yourr own way to consider until Push what Abe's might have something unique, like an specific aura...

If allow myself to say I agree but my positive way of the global situation : you think talking about Push / workflow linked debates are foolish ? I agree.

Wow, a shoty post and indeed it's obvious for me I just may agree with you, but be happy in spite of Push, necause that Push stuff, I f***ing don't care about at the point it's both useless and not "Live" new feature, it's a box from Akai, I already saw this kind of thing, it's boring, uninteresting, hasn't any feature involving even a ridiculous way to argue about innovative complicity between the box and the soft ... Yeurk.

Live Suite 9 is and will constantly be the most advanced and pleasant tool we used to like or love.

Push ? It's a midi thing with pads from akai showwed on Abe's website I thing, énot sure you know, midi control and bidirectional (and kinf of as for present days a little "exclusive") way of signal transmitting, wouaaaaah, OK now I can go to sleep, no sex tonight, thanks to the last word being soooooooo boring to think about, even if it's looking nice, I'm pretty much focused on this years 1st monome oredering queue opening tomorrow dude. And to eventually having a 256 @ home because a Launchpad or other, it can "do like" but won't do monoming as monomizingly than a real Monome 256 ;).

BTW, Push wears its name, it's food for buyers, not a musicians dream :mrgreen:
Antoine, aka Blendton.