Maschine style sampling with Push?

Discuss Push with other users.
Dalmu

Maschine style sampling with Push?

Post by Dalmu » Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:45 pm

Hey guys,

I'm looking for any custom scripts that will replicate Maschine's sampling workflow with Push. Does anyone know of such a thing? Hopefully it includes sending the waveform being sliced to Push's display?

cyclicAMP

Re: Maschine style sampling with Push?

Post by cyclicAMP » Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:49 pm

Sorry, but I haven't heard of any such thing. I'm sure the Maschine trolls will be here any minute now to set you straight :wink:

lo.key

Post by lo.key » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:54 pm

the push display is character only.

panten

Post by panten » Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:20 pm

This is something I've made an official request about here:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=190098
This was my attempt to discover the best way of achieving a decent (not necessarily Maschine specific) sampling workflow by using existing Live features as much as possible.
If there's anything you feel is missing or even could be implemented in a better way please support the request. Do Ableton even read that sub-forum btw? I hope so.

Anyway, 'Hark, here comes one in haste'.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:35 pm

Hell, I'd even settle for an ASCII art style waveform via m4l if necessary.

Dalmu

Post by Dalmu » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:32 pm

panten wrote:This is something I've made an official request about here:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=190098
This was my attempt to discover the best way of achieving a decent (not necessarily Maschine specific) sampling workflow by using existing Live features as much as possible.
If there's anything you feel is missing or even could be implemented in a better way please support the request. Do Ableton even read that sub-forum btw? I hope so.

Anyway, 'Hark, here comes one in haste'.
+1 on that. I definitely feel like what you posted is a step in the right direction. I don't like Maschine's UI, nor do I like having that much stuff open to then drag stuff into Ableton, I'd just like to do it on Ableton. push seems like a natural venue for that.

lo.key

Post by lo.key » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:39 pm

yeah, a +1 to pantens method.

I still feel there would be real value in ableton revisiting their sampler device, in a way that incorporated the best of sampler with the best of clip launching. Imagine if each clip could have the same range of easy control that sampler brings, in terms of key ranges, and layering, while still maintaining the warp capabilities that are lacking from the sampler device.

panten

Post by panten » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:00 am

lo.key wrote:I still feel there would be real value in ableton revisiting their sampler device, in a way that incorporated the best of sampler with the best of clip launching. Imagine if each clip could have the same range of easy control that sampler brings, in terms of key ranges, and layering, while still maintaining the warp capabilities that are lacking from the sampler device.
Another great suggestion, This would be awesome. You should add it to my existing request. If you don't, I will and claim all the glory for it :)
Dalmu wrote:nor do I like having that much stuff open to then drag stuff into Ableton, I'd just like to do it on Ableton.
This is one of the major reasons I decided to go with Push instead, less steps in the way to having ideas laid out but remain editable. We'll see, I'm still on holiday with my Push sitting in the store ready to be picked up. Can't wait to get Pushing and continue working on my sample chopping M4L device.

Dalmu

Post by Dalmu » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:53 am

panten wrote:
Dalmu wrote:nor do I like having that much stuff open to then drag stuff into Ableton, I'd just like to do it on Ableton.
This is one of the major reasons I decided to go with Push instead, less steps in the way to having ideas laid out but remain editable. We'll see, I'm still on holiday with my Push sitting in the store ready to be picked up. Can't wait to get Pushing and continue working on my sample chopping M4L device.
That's the same reason I got Push. My Push arrives in 2 days! So excited too. I'd love to see a dedicated sample chopping M4L. Post it up when it's done. Hopefully it's PUSH-compliant :mrgreen:

humnumb

Post by humnumb » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:54 am

Dalmu wrote:I'm looking for any custom scripts that will replicate Maschine's sampling workflow with Push. Does anyone know of such a thing? Hopefully it includes sending the waveform being sliced to Push's display?
Viewing anything graphical like waveforms on Push is impossible since Push's display is only text-based, not graphical.
Dalmu wrote:nor do I like having that much stuff open to then drag stuff into Ableton, I'd just like to do it on Ableton. push seems like a natural venue for that.
You don't have to drag stuff into Ableton to integrate with Maschine. You can control both Live and Maschine from the Maschine hardware and the Maschine GUI will stay out of the way while you're doing your stuff in Live: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WcbjOm1uhY&t=02m55s

lo.key

Post by lo.key » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:57 am

@panten:
claim away amigo, im just out for the functionality ;D

but we should definitely put our heads together over a push-based sample chopper app. I planning on porting over my shfflr monome app asap, and ive been returning to the move_playing_position call for actual clip position chopping, im hoping theres a way to implement it without relying on a playing_position observer (the timing issues re: the low priority of the live.observer made that approach unworkable when we were working on monome-based implementations). I'm hoping a phasor~ with timing inferred from the loop length and synced to the triggering of the clip will be more robust...

@humnumb:
ha, well i dont know, i once watched the world cup over a telnet session transcoded into ascii animation. It was amazing how watchable an 80 character wide telnet stream, could be. The brain interpolates amazingly well ;D

panten

Post by panten » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:55 pm

Thanks man, will make an addendum to my request for the greater good. (Fingers crossed that the info will flow uphill to the Abes)

Also, cheers for the offer; I don't know how much I'll be able to offer back in terms of coming up with an efficient and elegant sample chopper as I only touched Max for Live a couple of months ago. I'm willing to give it a go and learn how to properly do this though. M4L does seem very logical and I found I was able to build something that I'd scribbled down on a notepad 1st without any prior knowledge.

Without going into too much detail (maybe we should start another thread in the Max section) The first thing I tackled was sampling straight to pads. From the controller I was able to record to a buffer~ and control the start/end points, truncate as many times as required and play it across all pads before committing it. Things I haven't figured out yet are what is the best method for playback after committing to a pad but it seems like you've got a few ideas for that. I attempted to save it to a permanent file then read it back to another buffer for each pad. I was using a groove~ which was linked to the waveform object. haha I'm such a noob at this but it worked 'ish' and I didn't notice any latency.

As for a decent two-way Maschine style real-time chopping device. I've not put it into practice yet but it seems that you'd need to create a feeder device that sits on each pad that sends the midi info to another patch sitting outside of the drum rack that holds the sample and all the chop points . Is that even possible do you reckon?

It's going to take a lot of late nights and experimentation on my part but maybe it could move a bit faster with your help. I unfortunately don't have a huge amount of free time these days.

lo.key

Post by lo.key » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:13 pm

ive spent a fair bit of time in the weeds of buffer~ and groove~ to implement a modular 'mlr' style sample chopper for my monome, called smplr

http://monome.org/community/discussion/ ... er-2012/p1

feel free to pull it apart, though its definitely not a great teaching patch ;D

panten

Post by panten » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:26 pm

Thanks a million man, I'll get on this as soon as I can.
Don't worry about it not being readable, I'm used to my own being a mess, it's like that when experimenting.
Beware, I will pester you with questions, I promise.

lo.key

Post by lo.key » Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:19 pm

do it! ;D