Live 9 will not allow me to drag mp3 to audio track

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
tintala

Live 9 will not allow me to drag mp3 to audio track

Post by tintala » Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:22 pm

I have done this before in Live 9, but now something has changed, I can no longer import the same exact mp3 I did before...

I did not need to convert this before,,, all I did was drag a track from Itunes into an audio track in Live 9, now it wont let me .. what should i do damnit??? :x

I cant even drag an audio clip into session view or arrangement from my library now..... what gives>/? anyone else ?

Also can no longer drag an audio clip into the session view OR to a sampler....

Does this have anything to do with getting rid of Live 8 library? I imported ALL of my Live 8 library to my user library.. but that shouldn't have anything to do with not dragging an audio clip into Live!?????

theophilus

Re: Live 9 will not allow me to drag mp3 to audio track

Post by theophilus » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:18 pm

this is well known.... are you running on windows? are you running live as administrator? then the window explorer can't drag to ableton because of security settings.

if that is the issue, you'll need an external explorer you can also run as admin... i'm using explorer++.

if that doesn't apply to you... don't know, sorry.

ezelkow1

Post by ezelkow1 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:28 pm

also if its windows make sure you have quicktime installed. Ive had issues back on live8 where it would tell me it couldnt drop an mp3 track because it was 'corrupted or possibly secured', something like that. Really it was just because I was trying to avoid installing quicktime at all costs and once I did then it went away

miekwave

Post by miekwave » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:31 am

tintala wrote:I have done this before in Live 9, but now something has changed, I can no longer import the same exact mp3 I did before...

I did not need to convert this before,,, all I did was drag a track from Itunes into an audio track in Live 9, now it wont let me .. what should i do damnit??? :x

I cant even drag an audio clip into session view or arrangement from my library now..... what gives>/? anyone else ?

Also can no longer drag an audio clip into the session view OR to a sampler....

Does this have anything to do with getting rid of Live 8 library? I imported ALL of my Live 8 library to my user library.. but that shouldn't have anything to do with not dragging an audio clip into Live!?????
Have you tried converting the mp3 to native WAV or AIFF format?

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:21 pm

Tintala, what OS do you use? Are you on windows or Mac?

Also, you said you got rid of Live 8 library. What do you mean? If you say you imported your library into your user library, what do you mean? As far as I know, using the add folder button means that you just enable Live's browser to 'see' your existing folders. If you deleted that library, the mp3s will be gone.

scottie b

Post by scottie b » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:13 pm

i partially relate to this
i can drag,but its EXTREMELY slow to lay it in
i have to sit in there for a almost 10 seconds sometime before it starts appearing
if i move early,it doesnt appear
strange,for everything else is considered faster
on mac,btw

tintala

Post by tintala » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:07 pm

The Finn wrote:Tintala, what OS do you use? Are you on windows or Mac?

Also, you said you got rid of Live 8 library. What do you mean? If you say you imported your library into your user library, what do you mean? As far as I know, using the add folder button means that you just enable Live's browser to 'see' your existing folders. If you deleted that library, the mp3s will be gone.
w-7 64 bit
Yes I deleted and uninstalled Live 8, it was wasting space on my main HD. I imported all of my Live 8 presets into User library and got rid of Live 8... Although it's still showing in the browser.. as for my mp3, they are on a seprate hd, an exclusive folder for music.. I listen in Itunes, drag a track from Itunes into Live 9... The other day I could not do that.. I'm not sure what happened , I thought it was because I uninstalled Live 8, but that can't be the case as "audition" still works fine in browser, I just could not drag a clip, wav., aif, it would give me the "NO" symbal either way... So just restarted Live 9, and it worked, but now Ableton Index .exe wont work dont know what the hell that's about and its says it's missing..?!?

Now I try to drag a max live effect in a track and Live 9 crashes each time .. very wierd

tintala

Post by tintala » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:09 pm

tintala wrote:
The Finn wrote:Tintala, what OS do you use? Are you on windows or Mac?
w-7 64 bit
Yes I deleted and uninstalled Live 8, it was wasting space on my main HD. I imported all of my Live 8 presets into User library and got rid of Live 8... Although it's still showing in the browser.. as for my mp3, they are on a seprate hd, an exclusive folder for music.. I listen in Itunes, drag a track from Itunes into Live 9... The other day I could not do that.. I'm not sure what happened , I thought it was because I uninstalled Live 8, but that can't be the case as "audition" still works fine in browser, I just could not drag a clip, wav., aif, it would give me the "NO" symbal either way... So just restarted Live 9, and it worked, but now Ableton Index .exe wont work dont know what the hell that's about and its says it's missing..?!?

Miek
I never needed to convert the files ever... Live plays mp3 fine from Itunes... till now... Yes I tried converting it, still did not work..
Now I try to drag a max live effect in a track and Live 9 crashes each time .. very wierd

darzhliebek

Post by darzhliebek » Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:27 am

EDIT: this is only true for 64bit!

I'm sure I read somewhere there is no longer mp4 support (or whatever it is iTunes and other encoders put in the mp4 wrapper).

There was in Live 8 (I can open my Live 8 and drag and drop like you say) but not in Live 9.

It is a bit of a pain in the arse to be honest - I load into Live 8, render to WAV then put that in Live 9. For a better solution you need to source an mp4 encoder elsewhere - there are some free ones but I've heard they can be dodgy, so it may cost $20 or somthing to get one installed so that Live can use it.

I've just run into the problem away from home after recording to soundcloud with my phone and then downloading that to import into Live 9, but it wont because it is mp4, damn it.

Dave

J0n35y

Post by J0n35y » Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:59 pm

Sorry for dragging up an old post but I was having the same problem this week and finally thought of running Live in Windows 7 compatability mode and hey presto working fine. If this has been dealt with in a more recent thread then apologies! Just going by google search.

Donnie

Post by Donnie » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:38 pm

I emailed support about this a little while back and they suggested using a different codec (with link) since Quicktime isn't supported in 64-bit. The thing is, I am already using a 64-bit compatible codec pack. I can copy and past mp3s into live but still can't drag. I'll have to try the compatibility mode suggestion above to see if that works.

oblique strategies

Post by oblique strategies » Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:32 pm

I have found that dragging songs & sound files from iTunes into Live works a good 95% of the time, then for some unknown reason it just won't work. I get the universal "No" symbol. I think it can happen with any kind of audio file. I'll look at this more closely the next time it happens.

I usually quit the apps & start again. If that doesn't work do the usual computer voodoo: repair permissions, clean caches, shut down & restart, etc. Then it works again.

I've experienced it for a few years now. I just figure it's a quirk of either Live or iTunes & move on. :|

Mac OS X 10.6.8
Live 8.4

I often use an external hard drive, & will check to see if that is a factor the next time it happens.

XSIMan

Post by XSIMan » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:04 pm

In iTunes right click a song then click create WAV version.

None of my iTunes songs have been able to show in live for a long time but WAV is the universal format for music production so all is well.

mrobare

Post by mrobare » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:22 pm

hi

right click on the mp3 file
choose open with and select live
and check always open with

that should fix it

devobtch
Windows 7 64bit I7 970 3.2 Ghz
12 GB 8 TB storage ASUS 6970 video card
ASUS Rampage Extreme motherboard
Ableton Live 9 Suite Komplete 7 Mach 5 3
Garritan Jazz and Big Band FL Studio and numerous
FL plugins Ozone 5, Autotune 7 Gibson SG
Fender Strat APC 40

Duplexmario

Post by Duplexmario » Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:51 am

If you are running live "as an administrator" you will not be allowed to drag any audio into the program. Just make sure to not run it as an administrator.

1. Right click on Ableton Live Shortcut (Or whatever icon you press to open the program)
2. Click on "Properties"
3. Go to the "compatibility" tab and uncheck "Run this program as an administrator." It should now work.