Playing the same note twice at the same time - Note cutoff

Discuss Push with other users.
SKerkewitz

Playing the same note twice at the same time - Note cutoff

Post by SKerkewitz » Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:30 pm

Hey guys,

my Push arrived yesterday and it is really fun to play with it. But I noticed something strange and I wonder if it is a bug or if I least can turn it off:

Take a finger from your left hand and play a note in note mode. While you still hold the note take your right hand and press one off the green pads to trigger the same note again. So far so good. Now there are two possibilities which finger you will lift first:

1) the left hand finger which played the note first.
2) the right hand finger which played that note second.

Now, I understand that in case 2) the note will cut off and not be played anymore even though I still hold the note down with the other hand. But case 1) is in my opinion very annoying because if you play chords with a melody on top or a fast base line it will quite often happen that suddenly a note drop because it is cutoff by lifting the first finger.

I hope you understand what I mean.

Is it supposed to work that way or can I change that behavior?

Stefan

Tarpinian

Re: Playing the same note twice at the same time - Note cutoff

Post by Tarpinian » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:21 pm

I think I know what you are referring to, and I think it's unavoidable in current software? because you're not really supposed to be able to play the same note twice at the same time. On a regular keyboard this would not really be possible. I have experienced the same thing on my monome in live using the pitches app. Hopefully there will be some kind of fix/workaround for this as we never would need to play the same note twice but the cutoff can get annoying when you are just playing around on the pads

SKerkewitz

Post by SKerkewitz » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:17 pm

Tarpinian wrote:I think I know what you are referring to, and I think it's unavoidable in current software? because you're not really supposed to be able to play the same note twice at the same time. On a regular keyboard this would not really be possible. I have experienced the same thing on my monome in live using the pitches app. Hopefully there will be some kind of fix/workaround for this as we never would need to play the same note twice but the cutoff can get annoying when you are just playing around on the pads
Yes, your are right. On a regular keyboard I could not do it. I would have to release the key first before I could hit it again. The problem with Push is that a) it is possible and b) it happens quite often even by accident when you play a chord with your left hand and a melody with your right on top or a fast base line with two hands.

And it makes me sad because it is so easy and fun to play the thing but that note cutoff thingy ruins the experience for me. ;)

But I'm glad I'm not the only one facing this issue.
Stefan

koranek

Post by koranek » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:19 pm

I noticed this within the first few minutes of using Push. I loaded a piano VST and started playing. I kept getting these strange kind of cutoff notes. It took me a while to realize that I was playing the same note (like C3) with 2 different pads, and I hadn't released one of them. You really don't notice it so much if you play with the sustain pedal down.

I'm not sure what I would want to actually happen. It just seems that the notes that get cutoff seem wrong. Maybe the best thing would be to sustain the first note, but then what would constitute a Note Off event for the first note? The Note Off from the last duplicate turns off all the previous hits?

For now I try to be careful to not overlap left and right hand playing.
https://soundcloud.com/johnkoranek

2020 27" iMac i9 10 core, 64G Ram, OS 10.15.7
Push 2
Novation SL MKIII
iConnectAudio 2+, iConnectMidi 4+
Live 11 Sweet

lo.key

Post by lo.key » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:23 pm

it would be nice if duplicate notes sent out on different channels, that way each channel could have its own instrument, and its own timbre. Like playing the same note on different strings of a guitar.

ezelkow1

Post by ezelkow1 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:30 pm

Yea noticed this last night when I finally got a chance to play around, didnt realize I was probably hitting the same note twice.

Its interesting since it could definitely lend itself to a new kind of playing, would be nice to have option modes, i.e. legato(or whatever its called when it retriggers on release) playing where the new note would retrigger if its currently held and on release the old one would retrigger again, or just have a single retrigger on the duplicate hit, or do nothing at all. Either way just having a note cutoff seems useful to no one

cyclicAMP

Post by cyclicAMP » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:18 pm

koranek wrote: For now I try to be careful to not overlap left and right hand playing.
Yeah...this just might be a matter of learning Push as you would a more traditional instrument.

lo.key

Post by lo.key » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:09 pm

although again, it might be fun to make a patch which actually breaks up the hands into two separate channels with different instruments on each...

Tarpinian

Post by Tarpinian » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:14 pm

cyclicAMP wrote:
koranek wrote: For now I try to be careful to not overlap left and right hand playing.
Yeah...this just might be a matter of learning Push as you would a more traditional instrument.
This is part of it I think, as it only really happens to me when I am randomly fooling around, once I have set patterns I'm playing it does not seem to come up, because I have no musical need to play the same note at the same time. But it does seem like a flaw in the design, not a quirky instrument limitation :)

infernal.machine

Post by infernal.machine » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:57 am

Obviously you should just get TWO pushes, one for the left hand and one for the right.

And maybe also a few for your feet, knees, elbows, and forehead.

lo.key

Post by lo.key » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:02 am

id rock the fuck out of a single glowing forehead smash! button