Push quality issues, how to adress them, and UI requests.

Discuss Push with other users.
skatr2

Re: Push quality issues, how to adress them, and UI requests.

Post by skatr2 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:34 pm

These are the worst of the lot.

As for the side backlights, you will have the same effect from every angle you move. I imagine not much will change that. These though are not deal breakers to me akin to a tv that's missing pixels. You buy a tv for the viewing experience. You buy push for its ability to work with live. Not that they could justify it in this environment, but people woulda bitched about the lack of color if they went Apc40 colors again just as fast as they're complaining about shade issues. But to compare it to a less than functioning television is a tad overdramatic.

djcyph

Post by djcyph » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:24 pm

my one top left pad doesnt display correct color or any color at all when clip launced...def hardware issuse as the green led flickers once in a while...i also have pinkish tint for the "white" pads, but i don't think that would call for replacement. I think my non working Pad will though.

Hopefully my white ones will be little better on new one, i think that could be fixed via a firmware update though.

just fyi....contacted tech support immediately on thurs, didn't get response till yesterday. had to send some report, firmware version, and i also included a video showing the issue. I received an email that my problem has been escalated to 2nd level tech support. I think they are just delaying the process because they are sold out. With the video it's way obvious it's a hardware issue. probably wont get replacement till next batch of shipments.

besides that, i have to saw i do love push. sensitivity does take some getting used to, but i feel after i mess around with settings can get it nice

panten

Post by panten » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:09 pm

Not trying to be a smartass here at all but I wonder if in years to come these 1st slightly wonky (talking only about slight differences in the shades)Push devices will be collectible, highly sought after vintage rarities.

I actually really like the slight idiosyncrasies between the units, makes each one unique :D
It'd be a totally different story if my pads had differences in the pad sensitivity though, that'd make me grr.

StarcAt

Post by StarcAt » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:35 pm

That's how mine looks after some tweaking. Color problem not bothering me anymore)) At least it's not that obvious like it was with white color skin.

lo.key

Post by lo.key » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:08 pm

ooh yeah. That looks dead sexy.

StarcAt

Post by StarcAt » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:14 pm

I've made a topic with instructions.

Ableton_David

Post by Ableton_David » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:51 pm

Hi all,

Thanks for the feedback and for taking the time to communicate with us about Push. Regarding the LEDs, please understand that it is difficult to maintain perfectly consistent color across 64 pads. We conducted extensive usability testing with Push, and found that the minor variances in color did not detract from Push's usability. Additionally, please note that, due to the nature of RGB LEDs, variances in color may appear more pronounced when the LEDs are set to white.

Regarding pad sensitivity issues, please get in touch directly with tech support about this, at http://ableton.com/support/contact.

Thanks again for your feedback.

audiogeek

Post by audiogeek » Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:24 pm

Ableton_David wrote:Hi all,

Thanks for the feedback and for taking the time to communicate with us about Push. Regarding the LEDs, please understand that it is difficult to maintain perfectly consistent color across 64 pads. We conducted extensive usability testing with Push, and found that the minor variances in color did not detract from Push's usability.
Not exactly true, there are norms for Led binning http://lithonia.acuitybrands.com/Files/ ... andLED.pdf
I suppose you did not source Leds with lower tolerance because those batches are more expensive.
Sad cost decision, does not fit the good overall quality of Push :-(

lo.key

Post by lo.key » Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:43 pm

i would urge ableton to place priority on implementing a per-led calibration in the firmware. It's an aesthetic issue, but its not a minor issue.

Aken

Post by Aken » Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:29 pm

Thank you for this topic... I'm still wondering if I'm going to spend 600 dollars for a unit with this kind of misconsception...
Maybe a Launchpad would be wiser if the quality of the components is finally not that great :o

rud

Post by rud » Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:47 pm

Here is the first follow-up (from Ableton's FB page):

"Ableton Thanks for the feedback and for taking the time to communicate with us about Push. Regarding the LEDs, please understand that it is difficult to maintain perfectly consistent color across 64 pads. We conducted extensive usability testing with Push, and found that the minor variances in color did not detract from Push's usability. Additionally, please note that, due to the nature of RGB LEDs, variances in color may appear more pronounced when the LEDs are set to white."

I don't know how to take this.
Competitors make RGB LED based controllers too that don't have such defects.
Hell, I make RGB LED controllers and hand-pick EACH LED to ensure I don't get such defects.
Both cases, we're talking devices ways cheaper than Push.

Conclusion, right now, I'm even more pissed.

Ps: Still awaiting feedback on the ticket I sent a couple days ago, so far all I had in response was:
"Thanks very much for getting in touch with us and sending through pictures of your Push.
We're going to investigate this issue and get back to you as soon as possible on this.
We appreciate your patience on this matter."

What should I do ?
Except .. waiting ..

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:01 am

lo.key wrote:i would urge ableton to place priority on implementing a per-led calibration in the firmware. It's an aesthetic issue, but its not a minor issue.
on the fly scaling of every RGB value might not be feasible in the firmware though...

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:56 am

I got the impression of the inconsistency of the response curve of pads in this product's video too. So is it the common issue among the devices made in China?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikegrjfaSac#t=401s

rud

Post by rud » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:31 pm

8 days
8 friggin days since i received the pseudo-human response for my opened ticket.
8 days I still have no response

The forums are crippled with messages and complaints about the LEDs

And ALL promo shots / videos show PERFECT WHITE LEDs devices.
Should we assume all promo vids / shorts are edited, cleverly covering the faulty LEDs ?
Is this a defective batch we were un-lucky to receive ?
Come on Ableton, say something!

I'm sorry, but now, 8 days later, I'm pissed, really pissed.

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:52 am

rud wrote:8 days
8 friggin days since i received the pseudo-human response for my opened ticket.
8 days I still have no response

The forums are crippled with messages and complaints about the LEDs

And ALL promo shots / videos show PERFECT WHITE LEDs devices.
Should we assume all promo vids / shorts are edited, cleverly covering the faulty LEDs ?
Is this a defective batch we were un-lucky to receive ?
Come on Ableton, say something!

I'm sorry, but now, 8 days later, I'm pissed, really pissed.
quoted for posterity.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... 44keM1mvrU#!