Sound Effects Smoke Machine

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
sounds

Sound Effects Smoke Machine

Post by sounds » Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:26 am

I had a search for smoke machine sound effects but didn't find exactly what i was looking for.
Looking for some background noise like the sound of dry ice been pumped into a room, club.
Like fffssssssssshhhhhh lol to add atmosphere during buildups, uplifting the track.
Music Live Sets: http://www.myspace.com/vue3d
I love my tunes!!

antarktika

Re: Sound Effects Smoke Machine

Post by antarktika » Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:52 am

You mean something besides filtered white/pink noise? because I think that would come pretty close, no? Cut out the bottom end, put a little rez on a HP filter and sweep it a bit?

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:05 am

Three things

#1 I am 6 feet away from my smoke machine.
# 2 no, I will not sample it.

It's really just white noise with some emphasis on certain frequency bands (I'd guess about 150hz and 1k), but the crucial thing is the ttsssstt tsssssstt amplitude thing it does. Even when you keep your finger on the trigger it isn't a smooth jet, it stutters a little.

I tend to shape sounds like this on the timeline in arrangement. I stack up some effects such as eq8 and a reverb set with just a little ER, affecting a clip of noise or a synth - and I use the automation to sculpt the sound . It's easier to get natural variation than by using just the few modulation parameters that lives synths and sampler have. Those things are too closed and limited to do serious sound design.

Vios

Post by Vios » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:16 pm

Here's how I would go about it:

Find a similar pink/white noise recording from real life - waterfall noise, fan noise, etc.

Play with Auto-Pan tuned to mono to create the 'stuttering' effect.

Equalize as needed.

Add Frequency Sweep with Auto-Pan.

Be aware that most of what makes the effect shooting dry ice fog cannons into a crowd that cannot be duplicated in the audio of a track - feeling of moving air, cool air, visual fog filling the air, even the sound.

It's a bit like a grand piano, it's impossible to get a recording that comes anywhere close to capturing the sound properly.

MarksBasementRecords.com

Post by MarksBasementRecords.com » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:51 pm

contrary to what everyone else is saying, I'm going to suggest maybe adding some super low clipped bass notes around 50-100hz during the section you want the sound in

with any luck it should blow the speakers, and blow real smoke all around the listener.

much more dramatic effect I think

cheers, MBR

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:17 pm

That's how I got my copper forehead piercing.

sounds

Post by sounds » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:38 pm

Thanks yea I found some white noise that fades out so I copied and reversed it at the end for a nice effect.
Music Live Sets: http://www.myspace.com/vue3d
I love my tunes!!