How to make custom categories in Browser's Drum Hits!!

Discuss Push with other users.
djlimbs

Re: How to make custom categories in Browser's Drum Hits!!

Post by djlimbs » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:54 pm

login wrote:IN the main music production forum there was a long post about the browser, how to use it and how to add categories.
can you link? I did a quick search and couldn't find it, but if they have more info, that'd be awesome! thanks

scientist

Post by scientist » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:24 pm

you do realize you just posted a link to this thread, yeah?

re: the older thread, i think login might be referring to the "live 9 browser nightmare" one (viewtopic.php?f=1&t=190475), which iirc has some good information scattered around, but nothing specific to push.

enveehaa

Post by enveehaa » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:19 pm

Awesome! It works! Sweeeet. Great job man! Thanks for pointing this out.
MacbookPro
OSX 10.8.3
Live 9.0.4 Suite
Push
PXT Live
YamahaHS50M monitors

lo.key

Post by lo.key » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:26 pm

ha, yeah, i guess i did ;p sigh. sorry, thatll teach me to post at a glance ;]

enveehaa

Post by enveehaa » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:02 pm

Its weird that this doesnt work for when you want to add a sample from your own "added" folder to a miditrack.
From Push you can just choose "add track" and then find "Drum Hits" again. But the added folder cant be seen from there. So no playing the pitch of the sample with the pads.
Weird!?
MacbookPro
OSX 10.8.3
Live 9.0.4 Suite
Push
PXT Live
YamahaHS50M monitors

login

Post by login » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:31 pm

tecxx

Post by tecxx » Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:08 pm

djlimbs wrote:On a Mac, to get to this file, just "Show Package Contents" then go to Contents\App-Resources\Core Library\Ableton Folder Info\ (Can someone chime in on how to do this on a PC)?
i found it in
"%systemdrive%\ProgramData\Ableton\Live 9 Standard\Resources\Core Library\Ableton Folder Info"

thanks for all your infos, i'll try this out.

coleb

Post by coleb » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:09 pm

is there anyway to do this without having the folder of sounds inside the user library? i have my maschine library not inside the user library and i would like to avoid copying it just to be able to browse like this.

it also seems like it was already possible to do this before. when i hotswap for one pad in a drum rack, its possible to scroll all the way down to user library and then the sub folders will contain any samples that you have added to the user library. djlimbs, does your method make this any quicker? i'm not sure if i'm missing something here.

thanks again

Ginkgo

Post by Ginkgo » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:43 pm

This is an amazing discovery! Thanks, djimbs.
There should even be a mirror of the browser activity in L9 on your computer.
Obviously! Maschine had that in version 1.0!

Like all of you, i'm quite shocked that this wasn't worked out well in advance of release. I remember reading in the "Push: Questions and Answers" forum thread by a beta tester this particular comment, which lead me to believe this wouldn't be an issue:
so much of the early concept for Push's drum workflow was to eliminate having to make 128s.
And yet that is how I am spending my morning- making 128s.

blinkeye

Post by blinkeye » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:39 pm

Ginkgo wrote:
There should even be a mirror of the browser activity in L9 on your computer.
Obviously! Maschine had that in version 1.0!

Like all of you, i'm quite shocked that this wasn't worked out well in advance of release. I remember reading in the "Push: Questions and Answers" forum thread by a beta tester this particular comment, which lead me to believe this wouldn't be an issue:
so much of the early concept for Push's drum workflow was to eliminate having to make 128s.
And yet that is how I am spending my morning- making 128s.
Another point for Maschine here is that you don't even need to make a 128s setup because of the way its browser works. Guess you may already know this but you can just browse through your samples from the Maschine hardware with the 'prehear' button on and scroll thru your samples and hear them instantly without having to load them first so your WHOLE Maschine is now a '128' except that it is more like an 'infinity' setup. :)

tecxx

Post by tecxx » Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:36 am

coleb wrote:is there anyway to do this without having the folder of sounds inside the user library? i have my maschine library not inside the user library and i would like to avoid copying it just to be able to browse like this.
i'm trying to figure that out too. here is my approach: use hardlinks / symbolic links. it's actually quite easy:

1) open a command prompt and navigate to your user library.
2) create a symlink: mklink /j YourFolderName "d:\library\targetpath..."
3) done!

as you can see in the screenshot, this will "link" your custom library from it's original place to the user library, instead of copying and duplicating data.

additionally, this will allow you to browse all these sounds from push.
in a drumrack, select one of your pads, make sure the pad is selected, not the drumrack itself (first row of buttons on the top!).

hit browse, and you're in sample hotswap mode, left column shows all drum categories, to the right you see the samples.

i'm not sure if live/push is now showing all samples from your library, or only those who are categorized in the virtualfolders.cfg file.

apart from the fact, that this works, sample browsing is highly impractical on push. it takes ages to scroll through the lists, especially after adding larger sample libraries. without a "quickscroll" knob or subcategories (e.g. kick hard, sub, analogue, digital, ...) it's much faster to do this with mouse/keyboard.

coleb

Post by coleb » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:48 pm

tecxx -

i had the same idea and tried to do it using an alias link on mac, but it didn't seem to work. i would look further into it, but i agree with you that browsing from push is just not there yet. for now, i'm sticking with mouse to browse my drum samples. thanks for the detailed post!

djlimbs

Post by djlimbs » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:14 pm

coleb wrote: when i hotswap for one pad in a drum rack, its possible to scroll all the way down to user library and then the sub folders will contain any samples that you have added to the user library. djlimbs, does your method make this any quicker? i'm not sure if i'm missing something here.

thanks again
this method makes it quicker for me since I've customized my Drum Hit sub-categories to fit my workflow best..i had divided my kicks/snares etc by library so i could scroll to the sound faster. but i've figured out how to create sub-folders within the "kicks/snares/etc" categories which makes the browser really awesome. i plan to write a tutorial about it soon