new launchpad

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Zygi

Re: new launchpad

Post by Zygi » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:10 pm

My guess is that the old hardware, based on low-end chips, got pricier to manufacture.

Leon Tricker

Post by Leon Tricker » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:14 pm

Personally I'm really disappointed in Novation. I was hoping that a LP update would bring multi-coloured pads. That would make it worth upgrading for me because I could abandon the screen completely. I don't need half the stuff Push does, but I guess it's the only way to get coloured pads.

v00d00ppl

Post by v00d00ppl » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:20 am

intensemojo wrote:no velocity pads? total missed opportunity Novation
Livid base is the only one with balls when it comes to competition. 32 full size velocity sensitive pads with aftertouch. I'm almost caving in soon and getting one.
SSL X Desk / Apollo Twin Solo / Sherman Restyler / Ensoniq EPS Classic / Analog Keys / Handsome Audio Zulu

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:37 am

Er... They didn't even update the Ableton logo in the top right corner. What's that all about? While I'm happy that they're keeping the LP alive, it's weird that they didn't take any cues from the LPC mod: they should have put a SHIFT button in the top right corner, which could, for instance, turn the bottom four rows of buttons into temporary stop, "track activator," solo and arm buttons on a per-track basis.

If I were handed one of these for free, I'd be happy to start using it (possibly even alongside my old one), but I don't see myself buying one.

pro.tone

Post by pro.tone » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:25 am

intensemojo wrote:no velocity pads? total missed opportunity Novation
Leon Tricker wrote:Personally I'm really disappointed in Novation. I was hoping that a LP update would bring multi-coloured pads. That would make it worth upgrading for me because I could abandon the screen completely. I don't need half the stuff Push does, but I guess it's the only way to get coloured pads.
+1
Well, seems that MAudio or AKAI should come around with something own/new within "min 16 weeks"...or NI (?)....Oh no, please, don't start, MACHINE-Fanboys.... :roll:
HW: MacbookPro, PUSH, US-144, Equitek e300, Yamaha NS10, AKG 271
SW: Live 9 Suite, PXT, Sibelius 7, Pianoteq 4, Komplete 8 ult., Cinem. Strings 2, EWH Strings diamond

"Music is art - audio is technology"

distaudio

Post by distaudio » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:15 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong be seems this "new" Launchpad has come out with no velocity sensitivity Push is still the only 8x8 pad controller with velocity sensitivity?

login

Post by login » Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:30 pm

worth reading: the details of the launchpad s:

http://focusritedevelopmentteam.wordpre ... unchpad-s/

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:54 pm

"A great advantage of being able to change the program space is that we can now add a configuration page. This allows a number of new features. One of the most important is that a user with more than one Launchpad S can now label them to give them different IDs, so that they can enumerate differently and software can determine which is which."
As a user of several launchpads with custom max patches, this will solve one of my main issue.
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1

nowtime

Post by nowtime » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:40 am

^ yeah at what cost? This could be a free firmware update. Strange product launch for sure. Looks like Ableton booted Novation out of the inner sanctum.

login

Post by login » Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:36 am

nowtime wrote:^ yeah at what cost? This could be a free firmware update. Strange product launch for sure. Looks like Ableton booted Novation out of the inner sanctum.
They changed the chip, board and leds
Last edited by login on Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:33 am

nowtime wrote:^ yeah at what cost? This could be a free firmware update. Strange product launch for sure. Looks like Ableton booted Novation out of the inner sanctum.
I agree, it's not very spectacular. But from a very personal point of view, regarding my live setup, i couldn't go for a Push or anything else. The smaller the better. And i need two of them, flipping the first one 90° counterclockwise. That's why i'll stick with LPs.
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1

timday

Post by timday » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:48 am

Having talked to a novation rep and seen one there's a fair amount under the hood to make it class compliant - new chip etc. And the brighter LEDs do look good, and the ipad mode looks good as well now there's a launchpad ipad app. All this non-ableton stuff may be because focusrite/novation are no longer the UK Ableton distributors, they now do it direct apparently, although novation still seem keen to integrate stuff with ableton - the new launchkey has a very nice clip launch mode.

Not enough to make me replace my old one, though if I was buying a new one I think I'd be happy enough especially at the price.

Apparently velocity sensitivity would have cost a lot more although I still think there's a market for a velocity sensitive LP at say £170 if the pads were good.

#1thelark

Post by #1thelark » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:00 pm

login wrote:
I wonder if it would be possible to solder the new chip to the old board... dont need no new leds, just more speed would be nice ....

login

Post by login » Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:19 pm

#1thelark wrote:
login wrote:
I wonder if it would be possible to solder the new chip to the old board... dont need no new leds, just more speed would be nice ....
I doubt it, since the PCB board for it is new also.

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:22 pm

#1thelark wrote:
login wrote:
But ... WHY?