Push developer kit: M4L devices for Push!

Discuss Push with other users.
flocked

Re: Push developer kit: M4L devices for Push!

Post by flocked » Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:37 pm

On your picture your set isn't running (see the transport section). Is it only on the picture?

And the 8x8 grid in the m4l interface looks strange. Is it only a picture defect?

soheilovic

Post by soheilovic » Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:43 pm

flocked wrote:On your picture your set isn't running (see the transport section). Is it only on the picture?

And the 8x8 grid in the m4l interface looks strange. Is it only a picture defect?
yeah ur right, but even if my set is running, i cant play any note. :(

how should the 8x8 grid looks like?

flocked

Post by flocked » Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:25 pm

it should look like this:

Maybe you need to reinstall max/msp or you have an old (beta?) version of it.

soheilovic

Post by soheilovic » Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:45 pm

flocked wrote:it should look like this:

Maybe you need to reinstall max/msp or you have an old (beta?) version of it.
i reinstalled 6.1. still my grid doesnt have the blue dot.

maybe wrong port settings in live preferences?

flocked

Post by flocked » Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:03 pm

Okay, found the bug, going to upload the new version later today. sorry about it :) and thanks for your help!

Edit: I uploaded a new version of it on the server. Could you give it a try? :)

soheilovic

Post by soheilovic » Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:11 pm

np :)

still big thx to the developer kits....

coleb

Post by coleb » Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:46 pm

flocked wrote:aftertouch data isn't possible right now. It seems that the python scripts aren't sending any aftertouch values. We need to grab the midi values from the track, which also causes some other problems (are the midi value send from the push or another hardware controller?, etc.)
you're right. oddly enough, when in 'live mode' the push pads send aftertouch data, but not velocity or note data for each pad pressed - those values come through the python scripts. but this actually turns out to be quite convenient when used with live's internal midi routing: i just whipped up a quick patch that combines the push grid object from your wonderful push developer kit with the after touch data sent to live over the live port on a midi track. just make sure that the midi track is set to select midi only from the push live port and that the track monitoring is sent to 'in'. this way, you can use the aftertouch midi data sent from the push to control the CC value (i.e. pressure) along with pad location/velocity information from the grab push device you created to control the CC number. sending the cc midi messages out from the midi channel to an external midi bus and back into live allows you to midi map those CCs as if they were coming in from outside of live.

one thing that i can't yet figure out is how to 'grab' only a portion of live pads. for instance, it would be nice to grab only the bottom right 16 pads to use for a custom patch (like sending cc messages), but have the rest of the pads remain in normal live mode (i.e. launching clips or playing midi notes in scales). any ideas?

this would make it possible to call up a "subgrid" of push's pads to send custom midi messages while still using the native functionality of push at the same time.

thanks again flocked, amazing work!!

flocked

Post by flocked » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:55 pm

coleb wrote: you're right. oddly enough, when in 'live mode' the push pads send aftertouch data, but not velocity or note data for each pad pressed - those values come through the python scripts. but this actually turns out to be quite convenient when used with live's internal midi routing: i just whipped up a quick patch that combines the push grid object from your wonderful push developer kit with the after touch data sent to live over the live port on a midi track. just make sure that the midi track is set to select midi only from the push live port and that the track monitoring is sent to 'in'. this way, you can use the aftertouch midi data sent from the push to control the CC value (i.e. pressure) along with pad location/velocity information from the grab push device you created to control the CC number. sending the cc midi messages out from the midi channel to an external midi bus and back into live allows you to midi map those CCs as if they were coming in from outside of live.
Yes, i know that this is possible, but it isn't a really great solution and I didn't want to include it. The current m4l objects work always, without the need of the user to change anything. With your solution the user would need to change the midi track all the time.
I try to find a solution that doesn't need any changes by the user. - i have an idea…
coleb wrote: one thing that i can't yet figure out is how to 'grab' only a portion of live pads. for instance, it would be nice to grab only the bottom right 16 pads to use for a custom patch (like sending cc messages), but have the rest of the pads remain in normal live mode (i.e. launching clips or playing midi notes in scales). any ideas?

this would make it possible to call up a "subgrid" of push's pads to send custom midi messages while still using the native functionality of push at the same time.
That's possible :) There are several ways to do it, but here is the easiest one:
http://florianzand.de/push/m4l_devices/ ... ttons.amxd
Last edited by flocked on Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

coleb

Post by coleb » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:09 pm

i agree, my solution is more of a workaround and isn't very elegant for the end user. please keep me posted if anything comes of your idea..

i would love to try out the 'get only some buttons' max device, but the link is giving me a 404 error... ?

thanks again so much for all your work.

flocked

Post by flocked » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:20 pm

It works now.

coleb

Post by coleb » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:50 pm

awesome, thanks. i can successfully grab control of one selected pad. how would i grab more than one pad at once?

also, i'm a little bit confused as to how to use this with the push grid object. would the grab message go into the push grid object instead of using a 0/1 toggle or the other methods?

flocked

Post by flocked » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:39 pm

It was just a demonstration. To grab the other buttons, you need to rewrite the code for x buttons. Basically you just to my code x times (for example with an uzi object counting up).

You can't use it with my push_grid object as it grabs the button matrix, not only a few buttons. You need to write your own object/patch.

Dchild

Post by Dchild » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:24 am

Hey Thanks for all you efforts, this is going to get really exciting :)

I'm getting the following errors.

flocked

Post by flocked » Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:16 am

These messages are, because I didn't delete all the old monome code :) it still trys to connect with a monome via a port. as i said, it was a really quick 10 minutes port :) But it should work without problems (make sure your set/project is running).

Dchild

Post by Dchild » Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:08 am

It doesn't work for me....?

Do you have to go into user mode? or is that what 'Push control when track selected' does?

Tried both but nothing.

live 9.03b Max 6.0.1