Ableton 9 Manual's Section on Push

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
aioffermann

Ableton 9 Manual's Section on Push

Post by aioffermann » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:44 pm

So we only get those 30 or so pages to figure out how to operate Push? Nothing more in depth? I'm loving push so far but a more in-depth manual would be nice. Also, seems like you can't turn most filters on and off via push (the filter onthe reverb plug, the sampler's filter etc)

Asymmetricalmusic

Re: Ableton 9 Manual's Section on Push

Post by Asymmetricalmusic » Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:28 pm

......Sucks D

It's basically Dennis's presentation video on paper.

I don't think the manual sez anything Dennis doesn't in the You tube videos.

I need info on how the fuck to use Push with my other MIDI controllers, Like yesterday!

Dalmu

Post by Dalmu » Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:48 pm

+1, there's certain things I'm seeing on my push and I'm wondering if some of them are bugs! Sometimes my clips won't record, the play but and the loopstart/ position encoders seem to do the same thing in the clip view(they shouldn't! but it seems like they're mapped that way). when are we getting PUSH updates to also map to other VSTs and correct bugs within ableton?

geekbeats

Post by geekbeats » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:50 am

At least I know I'm not the only one.

I saw the videos on line and received an email saying to grab the manual to get more in depth about PUSH. I was super-hyped when I thought I was downloading a 611 page manual for PUSH. =]

Someone stands to make a small fortune by creating a user-friendly manual for PUSH. Just saying...

Asymmetricalmusic

Post by Asymmetricalmusic » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:25 am

some company stands to be a Dick for not releasing functionality in documentation

I'm more pissed there is no-one from Ableton saying this is how it is.....everything I've read sez we made major changes 9.0 > 9.0.2

I'm afraid to start work only to have them make major changes the browser leaves volumes of functionality to hope for.

Where is push gonna end up? consensus is No-One knows.....that sucks, I want to know.

I guess I'm waiting for arm rec/solo exclusive fix......I've been told thats coming. otherwise I have no idea if I'm gonna regret starting to work with Push in my Live set-up

I figured out my MIDI channel problem but it a hefty work around compared to what I was expecting based on all i've read.

Ableton Official stance is they're not taking an official stance. That's just great!

Dennis DeSantis

Post by Dennis DeSantis » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:04 pm

Hi folks,

Thanks for the feedback on the manual.

The goal is to make it comprehensive - it's definitely not meant to be a rehash of the videos. It starts with a walkthrough of the workflow, but then ends with a complete button reference.

That being said, it's definitely getting updated regularly, as are Push and Live. Please check out the latest beta - it includes an updated manual with a lot of additions to the Push chapter.

What would be good to know, however, is what specifically you feel is missing.

Thanks,

SuburbanThug

Post by SuburbanThug » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:18 pm

I'd like to check out the beta but can't seem to find a link for it on the site.

geekbeats

Post by geekbeats » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:32 pm

SuburbanThug wrote:I'd like to check out the beta but can't seem to find a link for it on the site.

Here is the latest beta
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=180996

Dennis DeSantis

Post by Dennis DeSantis » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:34 pm

SuburbanThug wrote:I'd like to check out the beta but can't seem to find a link for it on the site.

There's a sticky forum post for it at the top of the Music and Audio Production forum. It should always have links to the latest beta:

Best,

Blendton

Post by Blendton » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:43 pm

I think Dennis said "the actual beta for Live 9" as you seem to wait or search for "an actual beta revision of Live 9 use manual".

Install Live 9 beta, as I'm writing we are on 'Live 9.0.3 beta 3' edition, then do a "Help > see in manual" trick to check fpr so waited updated sections ;)

But as for now and I just compared before posting three [FRENCH] user manuals : one opened from Suite 9.0.2 64-bit ; one from Beta 9.0.3b3 the latest beta release at the time ; and the one coming from Ableton website, in "Learn Push" sections from Help main sub-site : the three PDF the same size and '647 pages' (FR version I repeat > when this will be submited I'll go check for the english one) ... No changes so far at least from a French and "not having checked ENG pdf forms)

To Dennis : I won't detail the how/why my life etc : I just say I understand what kind of work you do. Painful and mind-blowing. I'm about to see how well you do the job but in fact, even if I only know Thierry's work, perfection in the translated user manual for professionals universe, I'm sure the job you do is as Thierry's stuff : always evoluting perfection. Thank you Dennis and Thierry (I mean "Fisch" ^^)

Cheers SuburbanThug.
Antoine, aka Blendton.

Ableton Live 9 Suite (64-bit) & Ableton Suite 8 + Max for Live (32-bit)
Toshiba Qosmio F750 + lenticular glasses-free 3D
i7 2670QM 2,20GHz - 2x4GB DDR3-1333 - 5400rpm HDD

Dennis DeSantis

Post by Dennis DeSantis » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:52 pm

Blendton wrote:But as for now and I just compared before posting three [FRENCH] user manuals : one opened from Suite 9.0.2 64-bit ; one from Beta 9.0.3b3 the latest beta release at the time ; and the one coming from Ableton website, in "Learn Push" sections from Help main sub-site : the three PDF the same size and '647 pages' (FR version I repeat > when this will be submited I'll go check for the english one) ... No changes so far at least from a French and "not having checked ENG pdf forms)
Yes, the translated manuals are always slightly behind the English ones. They should be quite close to the English in the upcoming beta (b4).

Best,
Dennis

geekbeats

Post by geekbeats » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:53 pm

Dennis DeSantis wrote:Hi folks,

Thanks for the feedback on the manual.

The goal is to make it comprehensive - it's definitely not meant to be a rehash of the videos. It starts with a walkthrough of the workflow, but then ends with a complete button reference.

That being said, it's definitely getting updated regularly, as are Push and Live. Please check out the latest beta - it includes an updated manual with a lot of additions to the Push chapter.

What would be good to know, however, is what specifically you feel is missing.

Thanks,
Thank you for the information regarding the updated manual, I will check it out and provide feedback, positive and areas of possible improvement.

After reading the "PUSH" chapter, I felt like I was reading a reference guide to a stereo receiver. This button does this, etc.
Is it assumed that the user reads the previous chapters before beginning to use PUSH? If so, maybe a separate manual for PUSH?

Although more of an addendum to the manual, a help file or project file the user could load and follow along with the step-by-step features. Perhaps one that matches your published videos.

SuburbanThug

Post by SuburbanThug » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:59 pm

Dennis DeSantis wrote:

There's a sticky forum post for it at the top of the Music and Audio Production forum. It should always have links to the latest beta:

Best,
Thank you very much, sir! Your updates and hard work are much appreciated.

Blendton

Post by Blendton » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:02 pm

Dennis DeSantis wrote:
Blendton wrote:But as for now and I just compared before posting three [FRENCH] user manuals : one opened from Suite 9.0.2 64-bit ; one from Beta 9.0.3b3 the latest beta release at the time ; and the one coming from Ableton website, in "Learn Push" sections from Help main sub-site : the three PDF the same size and '647 pages' (FR version I repeat > when this will be submited I'll go check for the english one) ... No changes so far at least from a French and "not having checked ENG pdf forms)
Yes, the translated manuals are always slightly behind the English ones. They should be quite close to the English in the upcoming beta (b4).

Best,
Dennis
Confirmed without doubt nor reading the "Push ch. 27 section".

9.0.2 english pdf : 607 pages

9.0.3b3 english pdf : 611 pages

Comparison between both 'file size + number of pages' in all french versions are all the same, as you say Dennis, for the moment.

Keep doing such pleasurable "books" to work with ; if T. Fisch comes around send him some grats, I don't think you guys to receive enough appreciattion 'cause you being behind the scene (specially true for translators may be).

Warm Regards.
Antoine, aka Blendton.

Ableton Live 9 Suite (64-bit) & Ableton Suite 8 + Max for Live (32-bit)
Toshiba Qosmio F750 + lenticular glasses-free 3D
i7 2670QM 2,20GHz - 2x4GB DDR3-1333 - 5400rpm HDD