Import audio file without Warp PROBLEMs

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
fourstar

Import audio file without Warp PROBLEMs

Post by fourstar » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:32 pm

I am trying to import a 3 minute wav file exported from Pro Tools. It is the vocal track that goes along with my Live 9 session. I was using Live in rewire mode, and recorded the vocals using Pro Tools HD 10. Now I want to use Live in normal mode so that I can use Max for Live, and other features not available in rewire.

PROBLEM: The track is not lining up properly when I import it into Live. The timing is off. It should have a certain amount of dead-time at the front of the song, but it is starting a measure or so too soon? There is a second vocal track which is even further out of time.

I am experienced in exporting Pro Tools tracks, but just getting used to Live's features. Is there something I need to set in order for it to be imported without any warp or time stretch? I have tried turning off the WARP button once the track is imported, but it is still not lining up right.

Any advice appreciated. I sent this question to Ableton a couple days ago. Haven't heard back yet. Hoping to work on track tonight.

thanks,
Steve

artpunk

Re: Import audio file without Warp PROBLEMs

Post by artpunk » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:38 pm

In preferences turn off 'automatically warp long samples' hopefully that will do the trick. Youtube have some good tutorials on managing warping in Live. I'd post a link, but I'm at work and youtube is verboten :D

“... it was just to make an average listener go: ‘What the fuck is this?’ That’s a real inspiration for me and something that I will explore more on upcoming recordings.”
- Wally De Backer (Gotye) quoting Ween's intention behind making records

infernal.machine

Post by infernal.machine » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:39 pm

In the Rec/Warp/Launch tab in preferences, there is an option to turn Autowarp off so that when you add in samples they will be unwarped by default. However, turning warp off should have had the same effect. The BPM should be the same for the live set and your vocal, so I would just play with the clip start brace (or even just drag the clip itself around) until it lines up.

fourstar

Post by fourstar » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:34 pm

So simple!!!! Thanks very much. Im embarrassed at the amount of time Ive spent trying to figure that out. :o

gabiroque

Post by gabiroque » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:30 pm

THANK YOU that fixed it for me

meena387

Post by meena387 » Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:49 pm

infernal.machine wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:39 pm
However, turning warp off should have had the same effect.
Thank you this saved me a lot of time! It makes sense there is both a global and track setting for warping.