Custom Drum Racks

Discuss Push with other users.
jsn

Custom Drum Racks

Post by jsn » Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:52 am

Someone asked somewhere if you can load your own samples in the Drum Rack from PUSH. Yes. I have saved an empty Drum Rack preset to my User Library for this purpose (because you cannot load an empty Drum Rack as an instrument into a newly created PUSH MIDI track [for some reason?]) So, instead you just Add a track and choose Drum Rack and load the empty Drum Rack preset you saved (which loads an empty Dr Rack of course ;)) Now press one of the 16 (dimly lit) empty pads and in the above display you need to select the "empty pad" which appears and hit Browse button once again to load something new. From here you need to browse to the item "Samples" and on the next coloumn choose "User Library" and you can load your own samples which are saved in your user library to this empty pad. You will of course see all of your choices to the right of the User Libray column. When you load one of your samples it is of course loaded into a Simpler/Sampler. This is why this is all possible.
Live Suite 9.5 (32-bit), MFL 6.1.3 (416a295), Win7HP

jsn

Re: Custom Drum Racks

Post by jsn » Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:24 am

Also, use your built-in "Drum" Rack functionality of MIDI note trigger assignment to create a melodic step sequencer using instruments capable of pitch in the pads instead of drum samples. Need a bassline step-sequence in PUSH...no problem. It's always been there. You can even make split-layer instruments! You can step sequence loops or whatever you can add in a pad. PUSH rocks
Live Suite 9.5 (32-bit), MFL 6.1.3 (416a295), Win7HP

manutech

Post by manutech » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:57 pm

Thanks for the nice tips man :)

If anyone has more , i am looking forward to them ;)

lyovino

Post by lyovino » Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:02 am

Thanks jsn that was very helpful! I can only imagine how much is to be found while tinkering around.

I really love Push but I have one issue with one of the pads in Note mode it appears to be a little dimmer then the rest, rendering it to a shade of Pink,
and a dimmer shade of Green while playing.. it's bothering the hell out of me. Have you or anyone had this experience.. ? Sorry, not trying to pirate the thread.
Mac (Retina 5K, 27-inch,) Catalina
3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9, 64 GB
Apollo/x6, PUSH 2

coleb

Post by coleb » Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:32 pm

thanks for the tip! in combination with djlimbs tip on how to add custom drum sample folders to the live browse path, this is going to be great for setting up custom drum racks hands free!

djcyph

Post by djcyph » Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:49 pm

lyovino wrote:Thanks jsn that was very helpful! I can only imagine how much is to be found while tinkering around.

I really love Push but I have one issue with one of the pads in Note mode it appears to be a little dimmer then the rest, rendering it to a shade of Pink,
and a dimmer shade of Green while playing.. it's bothering the hell out of me. Have you or anyone had this experience.. ? Sorry, not trying to pirate the thread.
yes, almost my exact problem...except that i didnt get green at all, like in the step sequencer it blank when passed by, in an instrument it would be pink or a darker blue then the rest of the root note blues and again no color when playing. any chance this was your first pad top left?

i came to conclusion that its a bad Green and blue led...they are sending me a new unit.

lyovino

Post by lyovino » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:54 pm

djcyph wrote:
I came to conclusion that its a bad Green and blue led...they are sending me a new unit.
Wow, very sorry to hear that.. mine is nowhere near that condition.
The pad that is ever so slightly darker than the rest is in C Major, counting from lower left and up 3 to the first "G" is the culprit.
I can live with it but the cost of Push may not justify it.. (It's subtle) Push is made very nicely though..
Glad to hear you have a replacement on the way.
Apollo/x6, PUSH 2

geekbeats

Post by geekbeats » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:39 am

jsn wrote:Someone asked somewhere if you can load your own samples in the Drum Rack from PUSH. Yes. I have saved an empty Drum Rack preset to my User Library for this purpose (because you cannot load an empty Drum Rack as an instrument into a newly created PUSH MIDI track [for some reason?]) So, instead you just Add a track and choose Drum Rack and load the empty Drum Rack preset you saved (which loads an empty Dr Rack of course ;)) Now press one of the 16 (dimly lit) empty pads and in the above display you need to select the "empty pad" which appears and hit Browse button once again to load something new. From here you need to browse to the item "Samples" and on the next coloumn choose "User Library" and you can load your own samples which are saved in your user library to this empty pad. You will of course see all of your choices to the right of the User Libray column. When you load one of your samples it is of course loaded into a Simpler/Sampler. This is why this is all possible.

I saved the empty drum rack, load it, select the empty pad but when I choose browse, it doesn't show me my sounds I have in the user library. Instead, I see my custom presets for slicing.

mitchell

Post by mitchell » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:55 am

geekbeats wrote:
jsn wrote:Someone asked somewhere if you can load your own samples in the Drum Rack from PUSH. Yes. I have saved an empty Drum Rack preset to my User Library for this purpose (because you cannot load an empty Drum Rack as an instrument into a newly created PUSH MIDI track [for some reason?]) So, instead you just Add a track and choose Drum Rack and load the empty Drum Rack preset you saved (which loads an empty Dr Rack of course ;)) Now press one of the 16 (dimly lit) empty pads and in the above display you need to select the "empty pad" which appears and hit Browse button once again to load something new. From here you need to browse to the item "Samples" and on the next coloumn choose "User Library" and you can load your own samples which are saved in your user library to this empty pad. You will of course see all of your choices to the right of the User Libray column. When you load one of your samples it is of course loaded into a Simpler/Sampler. This is why this is all possible.

I saved the empty drum rack, load it, select the empty pad but when I choose browse, it doesn't show me my sounds I have in the user library. Instead, I see my custom presets for slicing.
, ki
yeah i can only get the .adg preset files to show up not my .wav files, never mind got it to work, kind of a clusterf**k not being able to organize them into folders
Last edited by mitchell on Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

whatisvalis

Post by whatisvalis » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:04 am

Using this method I can crash Live when loading sample with Push. Anyone else getting this?

I'm finding browsing with Push to be really uninspiring and frustrating. Is there a way to pre-hear browsed samples?

geekbeats

Post by geekbeats » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:10 am

They talk about it specifically in this portion of the video (PUSH Event in NYC)

http://youtu.be/ELXV4q6rfyI?t=1h2m23s

Maybe that will help explain what we should expect to see? .adg / .wav etc...

I did a drag/drop of a "claps" folder to the path User Library / Samples / Claps

Not sure if this is the correct place to view them.

(after watching the video again, it shows .adg files on the PUSH display.)

How does this all tie in with the original poster's tip?

whatisvalis

Post by whatisvalis » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:20 am

jsn wrote:Also, use your built-in "Drum" Rack functionality of MIDI note trigger assignment to create a melodic step sequencer using instruments capable of pitch in the pads instead of drum samples. Need a bassline step-sequence in PUSH...no problem. It's always been there. You can even make split-layer instruments! You can step sequence loops or whatever you can add in a pad. PUSH rocks
Is there a guide to doing this around? I'm new to Live

lyovino

Post by lyovino » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:45 am

The more I work with Push the more I see room for fixes. For instance if you add a new track and select the very first patch in the Instrument rack "All Alone Pad" you will see that the Reverb Dry/Wet has been mapped to the Reverb amount macro..
On Push navigate to the Reverb and try adjusting the Dry/Wet. You can't.. The Dry/Wet is mapped to the Reverb Amount knob in the device, now try midi mapping Push / Dry/Wet knob, you can't?

The only way to do it is to unmap all the macro mapped knobs and now start mapping them to Push?
Am I missing something here? I'm only with Ableton since this past year so excuse me if I'm wrong..
EDIT: Just unmap the macro and Push is automatically mapped to this parameter.. :oops:

Push is a great piece of kit as it fills many actions from one place.
I can't play the keys the way I would like to, but still using the device for so many other button pushes and actions without the mouse is still worth the price of admission!
Apollo/x6, PUSH 2