hps-octane - MaxForLive step sequencer

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
Hielo Patagonia Sounds

hps-octane - MaxForLive step sequencer

Post by Hielo Patagonia Sounds » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:10 pm

Hi,

UPDATE : this m4l device has now its own page on my website with a download link - http://www.hpsounds.com/octane-step-sequencer/

Here is a small teaser of a project I'm working since several weeks now.

:D

This project is in fact a very old personal project that I've started to develop in Max before Live or MaxForLive, and even VST exist ... But I've got recent influences from my Sequentix P3 and Cirklon sequencer.

hps-octane is a MaxForLive MIDI step sequencer designed with a modular point of view. Each step is divided in 8 main parameters families:
- GATE : the note event is played or not, with a probability parameter for each step;
- REPEAT : the note event is repeated or not, with micro-step edit;
- NOTE : set the value in semitone of the note, with note randomizing;
- OCTAVE : set the octave value of the played note, with octave randomizing;
- VELOCITY : set the velocity of the played note, with velocity randomizing;
- DURATION : set the duration of the played note;
- CONTROL 1 / CONTROL 2 : set the MIDI controller or remote Ableton Live parameter.
Each of these parameters has a TAB. Each TAB is in fact an independent sequencer with its own start and end step (so each sequencer can have its own lenght) with different motions (up, down, up&down, random, random w/ no repeat) or can be linked to the GATE TAB.
There is a nearly full remote and tactile control of up-to 8 instances from a custom Liine Lemur layout through OSC protocol, with an automatic iPad Lemur detection. Most of the parameters are MIDI controllable and clips "automatable" too.
Each instance has preset memories, and can be synchronized to Ableton Live or clip triggered which is a much more flexible way to play (a modular step sequencer with the full benefit of clip launching :-)

Here are some screenshots of the iPad Lemur editor layout:

Here are two video teaser of this MaxForLive device (btw, nothing quite musical here):

http://vimeo.com/49719313

http://vimeo.com/49782319

In the second video, the sequencer here is triggered by MIDI clips, which can include the step duration (with groove possibility), a reset at step one trigger, an on the fly preset change (via MIDI program change).
In the first part, hps-octane is remote controlled by a custom OSC Lemur template on an iPad. You can see presets and TABs parameters switching without the use of the mouse.
On the second part, we are using MIDI clips to switch presets.

This device might be released as a "contribution freeware" (I don't know how to call it ...). I'm now looking for a couple of serious beta-testers for this device. Feel free to send me a PM.

:wink:

Hédi K.
Last edited by Hielo Patagonia Sounds on Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Hielo Patagonia Sounds

Re: hps-octane - MaxForLive step sequencer

Post by Hielo Patagonia Sounds » Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:50 pm

Here is a screenshot of the last version:

... and a new "more musical" screencast teaser too : http://vimeo.com/49942397

You will first notice that the GUI has been reworked a lot - the top tabs have been removed and changed for a series of buttons that free up some screen space for a value strip read-out in each tab/buttons.

I had a lot of problems with the preset system and heavy data feedback on the OSC implementation so I remove most of the OSC functions at the moment. The code has been also cleaned.
____

This track is an old tune that used to be sequenced on a P3 Sequentix hardware sequencer. Here, I'm using two instances of hps-octane (track 1 and 4).

On track 1, presets are switched on the fly with MIDI program change included in clips and I'm switching (on-off) steps with a Lemur layout on the iPad (off screen).

Track 4 is using mainly the Random Gate function on a simple sequence, creating unpredictable, but still musical, variations.

If you are interested in beta-testing this MaxForLive device, please send me a message with your interest and personal information.

Enjoy (... if somebody is still reading this forum ... :? ) !

Hédi K.
Last edited by Hielo Patagonia Sounds on Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

revoltcrew

Post by revoltcrew » Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:32 pm

man this looks truly amazing!
100000greenCanaries are either violin0rGreen
http://sunfalls.org ||http://soundcloud.com/sunfalls || http://vimeo.com/sunfalls

bonomius

Post by bonomius » Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:31 pm

wow can't wait to try it, looks very promising especially for the lemur integration!

Sibanger

Post by Sibanger » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:30 am

Great work Hielo. I would love to give this a go. :)

Hielo Patagonia Sounds

Post by Hielo Patagonia Sounds » Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:00 am

Sibanger wrote:Great work Hielo. I would love to give this a go. :)
Hi Si!

I've just sent you an email. Welcome onboard ! :D

Hédi K.

Hielo Patagonia Sounds

Post by Hielo Patagonia Sounds » Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:01 am

bonomius wrote:wow can't wait to try it, looks very promising especially for the lemur integration!
If you are interested, please send me a PM with your email.

:wink:

Hédi K.

Hielo Patagonia Sounds

Post by Hielo Patagonia Sounds » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:31 pm

After a lot of tests considering hands-on controls and "tactile fun", I've removed the Lemur/OSC m4l code and I've implemented a new LaunchPad remote control possibility. The OSC/Lemur remote control was much easier to patch in m4l but I've never liked the "flat glass touchscreen feeling" and the fact that you have to always look at the screen before using a Lemur control object. But I do love the physical properties of the objects (bouncing stuffs ...). It will support up to 8 simultaneous instances editing for octane sequencer, but also for other m4l devices I'm working on.

I think I will release it as a "DonationWare" (just pay what you want or can).

The Launchpad integration is on its way now. Even if it's far from been finished, I really enjoy using it much more than the iPad stuff ...

Here is a quick overview of the Launchpad control of Octane, in user 2 mode:

Hédi K.

Hielo Patagonia Sounds

Post by Hielo Patagonia Sounds » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:35 pm

Cross-post from a question I was asked on Muffwiggler's forum.
What advantages does your sequencer have over the one that comes with Live 9 by default?
I've started developing my octane step sequencer before Live 9 was announced. The old monosequencer was, at that time, lacking a lot of functionalities I was looking for (I used to use Sequentix and Cirklon hardware stepsequencers).

Each Octane instance works with 8 independant sequencers (different loop points and directions, but always same time division), each dealing with:

- Gate and random gate for each step;
- Repeat (number of repeats of each step) with pitch and velocity accumulators for each step;
- Note (on one octave) and random note for each step;
- Octave and random octave for each step;
- Velocity and random velocity for each step;
- Duration;
- MIDI Controller 1, with random function;
- MIDI Controller 2, with random function.

Each instance follow Live transport control and tempo : [HOST] MODE. But each sequencer can also be triggered with MIDI clips in [CLIP] MODE (the lowest MIDI note is used as a reset control, the second lowest note is used as step trig) : this mode is REALLY useful because you can start, stop and/or reset each sequencer instance independently on-the-fly using simple MIDI clips (not even the Cirklon can do that, ... I guess).

Each instance has also 24 presets memories that you can switch on-the-fly too using simple program change included in MIDI clips.

Also, the final version will included a Launchpad remote control with the possibility to control up to 8 octane instances (I'm working on other sequencers' types with also some Launchpad remote control).

I don't say mine is better that the one in Live 9 (developed by Stretta). It's just different approachs.

I hope these short explainations might help.

Hédi K.

revoltcrew

Post by revoltcrew » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:10 am

i knew i kept my launchpad around for a good reason..
and your sequencer is it!

thanks for your hard work... can't wait!
100000greenCanaries are either violin0rGreen
http://sunfalls.org ||http://soundcloud.com/sunfalls || http://vimeo.com/sunfalls

mauronedj

Post by mauronedj » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:46 am

Will the push work with this? :D

Man it's really amazing :twisted:

Hielo Patagonia Sounds

Post by Hielo Patagonia Sounds » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:15 pm

mauronedj wrote:Will the push work with this? :D

Man it's really amazing :twisted:
Thanks ! :D

About Push - I'm not planning at the moment to implement a Push remote integration, because ...
a) I don't "click" with the Push/Live integration (no real use in my workflow);
b) Push is a bit pricy for me (at the moment);
c) I'm still on Live 8.34 and Max/MSP 5.1 and will wait a few months before upgrading both softwares, to let the Ableton team to solve most of the early Live 9's bugs ...

Hédi K.

mauronedj

Post by mauronedj » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:41 pm

Thanks for the reply, will it work with some monome too?
So I can pick up a monome emulator and send the midi to your app! It's a bit tricky but I think it's gonna work!

Hielo Patagonia Sounds

Post by Hielo Patagonia Sounds » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:36 am

mauronedj wrote:Thanks for the reply, will it work with some monome too?
So I can pick up a monome emulator and send the midi to your app! It's a bit tricky but I think it's gonna work!
Sorry, but it will only work with the Launchpad for 2 main reasons:

1) The monome is "just" an 8x8 grid, the Launchpad IS an 8x8 grid with 2x8 "functions" buttons that are used to switch between 8 instances of this step sequencer. The only monomes that could be used might be the monome 128 or 256. monomes are way too expansive for me ATM.

2) As much as I like to work with the OSC protocol (way more flexible than just MIDI), monomes are too expensive for me. Please keep in mind that this step sequencer is not a commercial product (m4l devices can not be locked ... but that's an other topic) so I will only support the controllers I've already have or the ones I'm interested in. BTW, this m4l device will be just a "Donation-ware" (pay what you want or what you can, if you want to pay something ...).

Sorry to ask, but I don't really understand why you would like to use a monome emulator piped through MIDI to use this device ? Launchpad are the cheapest 8x8 grid controllers on the market, older ones will get even cheaper with the new launchpad S coming ... :?

Hédi K.

mauronedj

Post by mauronedj » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:46 am

Hielo Patagonia Sounds wrote:
mauronedj wrote:Thanks for the reply, will it work with some monome too?
Sorry to ask, but I don't really understand why you would like to use a monome emulator piped through MIDI to use this device ? Launchpad are the cheapest 8x8 grid controllers on the market, older ones will get even cheaper with the new launchpad S coming ... :?

Hédi K.
Hi, I only want this because I sold my launchpad and my APC for the Push :P
But I have an Ipad, so I'll use OSC, no problem at all, and again thanks for your work :D