Stupid question - searching samples

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
MrTingleby

Stupid question - searching samples

Post by MrTingleby » Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:42 pm

Hi guys
Embarrassing that my first post is this question but I'm banging my head against a brick wall here.

I've just moved from 8 suite to 9 suite and I'm trying to search for samples. I've located my Live 8 library and can browse this as an independent location in the browser. However, when I try to search, say for "kick", it doesn't bring up all the hits as would happen in 8. Instead it acts as a filter so that when browsing the Live 8 library only kicks can be found - that's not particularly helpful as my samples are split into a large number of folders.

Is there any way to make it so that search results bring back all hits for that keyword in the folder/sub-folders being searched?

Apologies if I've missed something obvious.

Thanks

H20nly

Re: Stupid question - searching samples

Post by H20nly » Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:39 pm

when i google "dog" i don't expect results with other pets to come up too. it seems to me that if a full list of kicks comes up when you do a search for "kick" that you got what you asked for.

if you want more why not search for more? i.e. search: +kick +snare

MrTingleby

Post by MrTingleby » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:36 pm

Sorry I probably haven't explained the problem correctly. Searching for "kick" brings up nothing. You can still browse the folder structure and all that will be shown are kicks - fine. But in 8 when you searched it would bring up a list of all the kicks. Here you still have to browse the folders rather than getting a complete list. Does that make sense?

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:32 am

MrTingleby wrote:Sorry I probably haven't explained the problem correctly. Searching for "kick" brings up nothing. You can still browse the folder structure and all that will be shown are kicks - fine. But in 8 when you searched it would bring up a list of all the kicks. Here you still have to browse the folders rather than getting a complete list. Does that make sense?
ah. that makes much more sense... see funk's post above.

MrTingleby

Post by MrTingleby » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:39 am

Funk N. Furter wrote:search for kick and then click on All Results at the bottom of Categories. That should give you loads. Where are your samples? Are they in Places as a custom samples folder, or are they in the Live 8 Library?
Thanks, I've tried as you suggest but the only results in the "All Results" section at the bottom of Categories are the standard Live offerings - none from my samples folder. My samples are all in the Live 8 Library (which shows up in Places as I've pointed Live to this in the preferences). I've also tried adding the specific folders to Places as a custom folder but this doesn't affect the search results.

I guess I must be missing something but not sure what!

Thanks

MrTingleby

Post by MrTingleby » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:37 pm

Thanks for the reply Frank - appreciate your help on this.

I've tried copying all my samples from the folder in the Live 8 library to a separate samples folder. This folder has been added to "Places" and I can browse it. However, when I try to search, none of the results show up in the "All Results" section.

I've also tried as you suggested with one folder and it doesn't work. I'll try again a bit later in case it needs to index the folder or something but it's not looking great...I'll try to upload some pictures to show you the issue.

MrTingleby

Post by MrTingleby » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:26 pm

Hi Frank

Thanks for your continued help with this. Turns out that Live seemed to need a bit longer to analyse the folder. So after leaving the sample folder as a new "place" for a while (and after taking it out of the Live 8 folder structure) it seems to have done the trick and now works as it should do.

Thanks a lot for your help!

psyfi

Post by psyfi » Fri May 17, 2013 5:06 pm

So why can't live 9 include results from the live 8 folder structure in the @all result'' filed? This seems a bit stupid and troublesome. I don't want to move my sample folders out of the live 8 structure as I still need to use 8 for many things.

psyfi

Post by psyfi » Wed May 22, 2013 6:38 pm

Funk N. Furter wrote: Of course if you drag the whole Live 8 Library into Places, which is not possible directly, but is if you drag in the folder which contains it, things will show up in All Results.
This simply duplicates / copies your library to the new location. in effect cutting your storage space in half.
This is prooving a real stumbling block to my work flow right now. If it is a case of the library not actually being finished do we have an eta for it to be resolved. After they made a big song and dance about the new library features but in the process have destroyed the useability of it.

psyfi

Post by psyfi » Wed May 22, 2013 7:37 pm

Dear me what an outburst :wink: