Only trigger selected clips on scene launch?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
dboy

Only trigger selected clips on scene launch?

Post by dboy » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:30 pm

I don't see any way to do this. Why isn't there an option to do this in the clip launch prefs? Am I missing something simple?

Asymmetricalmusic

Re: Only trigger selected clips on scene launch?

Post by Asymmetricalmusic » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:37 pm

I think the idea is the make another scene.

dboy

Post by dboy » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:48 pm

I get that but why not have this functionality? One scene per song, improved flexibility, etc.... Such a simple thing to do really and would open up many more options. I see that this has been requested for quite some time now, why are the devs so reluctant to add this in? Seems like a no brainer...

catsandwich

Post by catsandwich » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:07 pm

FWIW, I would hate this behavior.

Asymmetricalmusic

Post by Asymmetricalmusic » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:08 pm

There is a clip ON/OFF button in the clip window next to the Launch window (Lower Left hand corner area)

The clip wont launch until you turn it on manually. (cant MIDI map that thou)

I might mention I'm using Live 7.

dboy

Post by dboy » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:03 am

I really don't see how adding a simple clip option to "not" launch on scene selection would add any kind of latency or be that difficult to do. There are plenty of follow actions and other things that allow clip behavior to behave in certain ways already. This simple command would allow much better flexibility live while not having to spread a song out over several scenes. IMHO this is an oversight on Ableton's part and as many have stated before, should be implemented.

infernal.machine

Post by infernal.machine » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:12 am

catsandwich wrote:FWIW, I would hate this behavior.
+1

dboy

Post by dboy » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:20 am

infernal.machine wrote:
catsandwich wrote:FWIW, I would hate this behavior.
+1
You wouldn't have to use it then :roll:

infernal.machine

Post by infernal.machine » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:22 am

Fucking write your own max patch. Or use clyphX.

dboy

Post by dboy » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:13 am

infernal.machine wrote:Fucking write your own max patch. Or use clyphX.
Nice, very eloquent and completely useless... :mrgreen:

dboy

Post by dboy » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:23 am

ShelLuser wrote:
dboy wrote:I really don't see how adding a simple clip option to "not" launch on scene selection would add any kind of latency or be that difficult to do.
Have you even read Asymmetricalmusic's post (2 hours before yours) ?

Because this option is already there. Also keep in mind that it's completely different from what the OP was asking (only starting selected clips during scene launch). That's what I responded to.
FWIW, I am the OP...... Having the option to not launch a specific clip would be give me exactly what I asked for. And no, disabling the clip is not the option at all. You can't launch it without enabling it which defeats the purpose.

infernal.machine

Post by infernal.machine » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:41 am

Michael Hatsis

Post by Michael Hatsis » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:57 am

Curious how you would select a clip from a controller?

But since you are selecting clips anyway, what would be the difference between what you are asking for - Fire only selected clips on scene launch- vs Just selecting any clips you want, from various scenes and hitting enter to launch the selected clips.

Mike

dboy

Post by dboy » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:07 am

ShelLuser wrote:
dboy wrote:Having the option to not launch a specific clip would be give me exactly what I asked for. And no, disabling the clip is not the option at all. You can't launch it without enabling it which defeats the purpose.
8O

That's totally bogus because all clips are enabled by default.

Edit:

Second; your current "objection" goes right against the initial question because if you can't launch them without enabling it; why did you enable the clips you didn't want to launch in the first place?
I don't think you understand what I'm asking for. I'd like to launch a scene containing say six clips. Two of those I want to manually trigger at a specific or even random time. I can't disable those clips because then I'd have to enable them before launching them. It's pretty simple really, take a look at this thread: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=190534 maybe it makes it clearer.

dboy

Post by dboy » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:14 am

mike@TrackTeam Audio wrote:Curious how you would select a clip from a controller?

But since you are selecting clips anyway, what would be the difference between what you are asking for - Fire only selected clips on scene launch- vs Just selecting any clips you want, from various scenes and hitting enter to launch the selected clips.

Mike
I want each scene to be one "song" in a live application. Each one has it's own meter and tempo settings and can be setup to stop or continue on to the next scene (song) easily. Changing the setlist around is simple as well since each song is is limited to one scene and not multiple ones. You would have simplicity and added flexibility with this method.