IR Measurement Tool

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
gazo

IR Measurement Tool

Post by gazo » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:45 am

I'm confused on how the IR Measurement Tool works.

I want to record some claps in a room and then add these as an IR into the Convolution Reverb. I have recorded my claps and have then pulled them into Convolution Reverb. But was wondering if I should not be using the IR Measurement Tool for this. I have tried to figure it out, but am getting a bit lost.

I am using a Mic to record the source. So I have set the Chan to Mono to Stereo as it is a Mic using only one cable (so mono) source).

I have clicked on Input. But am confused with the Sweep and Impulse buttons. I see on the device when you open it in Max it says that Sweep is recommened for real spaces and analog devices. When I click on Sweep a tone is generated, even if I don't have Tone enabled.

Then after this when I audition the progress measurement I don't hear anything.

How do I record an impulse with the IR measurement tool to use in the convolution reverb? Am I missing a step or something?

erikomic

Re: IR Measurement Tool

Post by erikomic » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:38 am

I haven't used that tool yet but I think the "impulse" is the sweep or the burst noise > it is by recording the way the room react to this impulse that it can extrapolate the reverb of anything. So basically you should record the sweep noise at some dB spl in the room. You can probaly turn around and isolate just from a clap but as I say earlier... I haven't even downloaded the plugin yet. But I might when I have the time... :mrgreen:

Valiumdupeuple

Post by Valiumdupeuple » Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:20 pm

Erikomic is right, that's how it works.

steko

Post by steko » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:24 am

Live -> Menu: Help -> Help-View -> "Show all built-in lessons" (@ bottom) -> Max for Live Essentials -> Convolution Reverb -> IR Measurement Device
Rahad Jackson wrote:My Awesome Mix Tape #6

gazo

Post by gazo » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:15 pm

Thanks for pointing me to the lessons.

If I do a sweep in a room does anyone know what a suggested db SPL level for the sweep in room should be to record the it?

erikomic

Post by erikomic » Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:05 am

Okay, here is a dumb question follow-up...

Can't find the convolution reverb in LIve 9... can someone point me a link ? Or where is it supposed to be in that hellish browser ?

And the IR measurement tool while i'm at it... :wink:

Thank ya'll

steko

Post by steko » Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:43 pm

Browser -> Categories -> Max for Live -> Max Audio Effect -> Convolution Reverb (Pro) / IR Measurement Device
Rahad Jackson wrote:My Awesome Mix Tape #6