Consciousness

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
rakim87

Re: Consciousness

Post by rakim87 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:07 am

there are plants that react to human life, that suggests they have some type of consciousness, it seems like an endlessly debatable thing though.
ImageImage

knotkranky

Post by knotkranky » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:50 am

Ok, you need more than just a nervous system, which plants don't even have.

Does this dog have consciousness? > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FEhVGrf0yI

Forge.

Post by Forge. » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:35 am

viewtopic.php?f=40&t=188160&start=0

this question is going to get more and more important over the coming decades as the singularity approaches

ikeaboy

Post by ikeaboy » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:29 am

I have to say I think that the singularity the AI people talk about is so remote it may not happen before we bomb the planet back to the dark ages.

It seems to be based on what we think the computational power of the human brain is (while disregarding any quantum computational power it might have) , when a computer(s) reach that level it'll suddenly go 'Hello Dave'. IMO a huge underestimation of what consciousness is.

I think it's a symptom of the over confidence of modern science and it's our age looking to the future and seeing moon bases and jet packs just like we did thirty - forty years ago.

It's also a symptom (IMO) of the fear of death, as the next step would be uploading your consciousness to a capable computer as a way to live forever. Providing you could experience embodiment inside the ultimate Facebook profile (Which I sincerely doubt).

It would be cool if I (and many others more informed then me) was wrong, I love Sci-Fi (So sad about Ian M Banks)

ikeaboy

Post by ikeaboy » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:34 am

To the Op, many regard consciousness as an undivided continuum, like space, without any real identity. A lot of theoretical conclusions can be drawn from that.

crumhorn

Post by crumhorn » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:37 pm

Is consciousness a necessary prerequisite of intelligence? Maybe a machine can be intelligent without having to be conscious.

do we even know what we mean by intelligence?
"The banjo is the perfect instrument for the antisocial."

(Allow me to plug my guitar scale visualiser thingy - www.fretlearner.com)

ikeaboy

Post by ikeaboy » Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:05 pm

crumhorn wrote:Is consciousness a necessary prerequisite of intelligence? Maybe a machine can be intelligent without having to be conscious.

do we even know what we mean by intelligence?
I don't think so, you could have a set of adaptable problem solving routines that could be added to as new situations arose that probably would be just as effective as consciousness without having the need to develop a "something" like self awareness.
So if all of life could be replicated by something without consciousness why, if the Dawkins style epiphenomenom theory is to be believed, did it arise in evolution? Seems to lack economy.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:38 pm

crumhorn wrote:do we even know what we mean by intelligence?
do we even know what it is to know?

crumhorn

Post by crumhorn » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:57 pm

H20nly wrote:
crumhorn wrote:do we even know what we mean by intelligence?
do we even know what it is to know?
I was coming to that question later.
"The banjo is the perfect instrument for the antisocial."

(Allow me to plug my guitar scale visualiser thingy - www.fretlearner.com)

rap masta rj

Post by rap masta rj » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:31 pm

I like where this conversation is going so far. It makes me so curious because we really are limited by our own perspective and what we "know".

d.reamonn

Post by d.reamonn » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:03 pm

rap masta rj wrote:I like where this conversation is going so far. It makes me so curious because we really are limited by our own perspective and what we "know".
Precisely. For example, rakim87 believes he should be allowed to sit in the front of the bus.
https://soundcloud.com/maybe-logic

"I wanted to not like your [music], but it's actually pretty awesome. Banana hammock."
- eddiex

rakim87

Post by rakim87 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:47 pm

d.reamonn wrote:
rap masta rj wrote:I like where this conversation is going so far. It makes me so curious because we really are limited by our own perspective and what we "know".
Precisely. For example, rakim87 believes he should be allowed to sit in the front of the bus.
...? do me a favor and forget i exist. that would be lovely. you're not even making sense at this point.
ImageImage

d.reamonn

Post by d.reamonn » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:55 pm

rakim87 wrote:
d.reamonn wrote:
...? do me a favor and forget i exist. that would be lovely. you're not even making sense at this point.
Forgive me, I was merely giving a perfectly apropos (albeit unscientific) example of a typical, common belief that could potentially limit the scope of our imagination, and in particular in regards to Little-Shop-Of-Horrors-esque scenarios, in which plants can talk and Bill Murray.

"I wanted to not like your [music], but it's actually pretty awesome. Banana hammock."
- eddiex

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:25 pm

d.reamon - i don't know where you get off... you've got a lot of nerve posting this type of incessant misinformed and completely inaccurate information... it was Rick Moranis, not Bill Murry.

d.reamonn

Post by d.reamonn » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:35 pm

H20nly wrote:d.reamon - i don't know where you get off... you've got a lot of nerve posting this type of incessant misinformed and completely inaccurate information... it was Rick Moranis, not Bill Murry.
"Bill Murray is not in LSoH" - H2Only

"Bill Murray is in LSoH" - d.reamonn

"Banana hammock" - eddiex

"Bill Murray is in LSoH" - Wikipedia (http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_S ... #section_2)

:x

- eddiex