Launch Pad S or Push.....

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
fifedawg

Launch Pad S or Push.....

Post by fifedawg » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:14 pm

I just saw a demo on DJWORX for the new Novation Launchpad S.

It lacks the bells and whistles and sliders and knobs and what not...but it seems to have similar functionality. And at a price tag of $170...its easier on the $$ than $599....

Any thoughts? What do the Admins think??? Holla back and make it plain.....competition makes everything better!!! :D

Peace!!

yur2die4

Re: Launch Pad S or Push.....

Post by yur2die4 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:19 pm

First and possibly most important question.

Are you looking for portability?

I think you can definitely compare the devices, and in flat out comparison the Push would probably be a lot more awesome. But, the Launchpad is indeed quite the flexible little device, and fits into many bags easily, weighing very little. It also has a good number of people making unique scripts and software for it, plus the S can be used on an iPad (do you have one??).

So it comes down to asking what you are looking for, and what extents you are willing to go to for customization, or which functions you don't mind sacrificing.

lo.key

Post by lo.key » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:27 pm

to me, the central appeal of push which cant be found in other extant devices are the pressure sensitivity of the pads, and the pad density. Maschine and the Quneo offer pressure, but have too few and too large pads. The launchpad and the monomes offer great control density, but are not expressive. Push sits in the middle (id include the livid base along with the push, but their web-based editor is currently broken and just foolish).

drez

Post by drez » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:35 pm

fifedawg, I am on the fence with this exact decision as well.

I think what my ultimate decision comes down to is waiting to see what the Liine guys do with the impending Live Control 2.0 release. From what I saw in their promotional video, I believe they will have a step sequencer that mimics what is available on Push. The other aspects of push don't really appeal to me (at this point). I'd rather scroll through the presets and play them on my actual keyboard controller instead of the Isometric layout. Also, with the style of music that I write, I will be tweaking whatever I do anyway and things like changing velocity settings via push seemed very tedious. I feel like I'd be editing the loop soon anyway. Being able to step sequence ideas in quickly, however, keeps the creative flow rolling. The big thing, as lo.key pointed out, is the Velocity Sensitive keys. That would be nice for drum programming.

So, since I already have an Ipad, I think I'll wait for LiveControl 2.0 to see how much thunder it steals from Push. If its good for my needs, then I'll pick up a LaunchPad S as the triggering device. If not, it might be where Push comes to shove ;-)
http://www.soundcloud.com/dreznicek
MacBook M1 Pro Max, 64Gig RAM, 4TB internal SSD, Live 11, Push1/2/3, Reason, VST O'Plenty

Willyum

Post by Willyum » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:04 pm

I think it is awesome that Novation is fighting back!!!

With LaunchPad being one of the first official Ableton instruments... then getting tossed on the shelf in all the PUSH promo pics... without even any updates to the official Ableton/LaunchPad script... I am happy to see them branch out and go 'Class Compliant' and advertise FruityLoops on the LaunchPad page. I'm also glad they came out with their own LaunchPad app. They barely even mention Ableton and I guess if there weren't any contractional obligations, they would have probably taken the Ableton logo off too.

I'm always for the underdog!

SuburbanThug

Post by SuburbanThug » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:58 am

The choice seems simple to me. If you've got the money go for the Push. If you need to save some cash and can live without the functions Push offers over the Launchpad then 400 bucks is 400 bucks. Push is expensive but I don't think many will regret the purchase. I'm broke as hell right now but I'm glad I didn't go for the cheaper alternatives even though I wouldn't have even known what I was missing. I might even miss Movement this year ( :( )because of my purchase and it's the best lineup for me that they've had in ten years.

oneder

Post by oneder » Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:05 pm

A launchpad and NativeKontrol's LPC-Ditto script emulates most of Push's functionality except of course without the velocity sensitive pads...

SuburbanThug

Post by SuburbanThug » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:04 pm

Right. But buttons standing in for the encoders doesn't really do it for me. Transport buttons, velocity and aftertouch, general build quality and playability. If all you are really after is the step sequencer and the scale mode the Launchpad is obviously the way to go though. I was seriously considering this for the APC as that would be a little closer to a Push (or better depending on what you're going for) since it's got the knobs and faders and transport buttons. I would suggest considering the APC too since it's a pretty bad-ass solution for performance.

dna598

Post by dna598 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:36 pm

Damn, i was expecting something cool. You know, something that might actually contend with Push.
This is just launchpad v1 all over again.

No velocity, no colour. WTF.
ctrl + left/right = select transient

ctrl + shift + left/right = select between transients

ctrl + space = play selection

Jay_NJ

Post by Jay_NJ » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:52 pm

I was on the fence with Push. The big turnoff for me was the high price. Honestly, all I'd have probably wanted to use it for would have been the step sequencer for laying down beats. I'll have to look into the new Launchpad's capabilities for this!

humnumb

Post by humnumb » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:25 pm

Jay_NJ wrote:I was on the fence with Push. The big turnoff for me was the high price. Honestly, all I'd have probably wanted to use it for would have been the step sequencer for laying down beats. I'll have to look into the new Launchpad's capabilities for this!
There's already a Push emulation for the Launchpad: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=190692

Eventful

Post by Eventful » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:08 am

I'll just put this here. In case you're interested.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=192384
funken wrote: The whipping must put air in and this stops it exploding.