New user who bought Ableton Live 8 Suite with free upgrade

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Omexis

New user who bought Ableton Live 8 Suite with free upgrade

Post by Omexis » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:57 pm

Hi everyone!

For the 6 months I've been making music with Ableton 8 Suite on my friends computer, I decided to take the plunge and buy Ableton 8 suite with free upgrade to 9 suite. I just received it today and have installed the program data and preset library, but i'm not sure of a few things as tbh I find it a bit complicated.

1. The boxed version comes with 8.2.1, if I click check for updates in the help menu, it brings me to the update to live 9 page. I do want to update to live 9 and keep 8 on my computer, but if I go to archives I can download 8.4 which is what i want! But it's a 1.6GB download! Is this the correct way to update it to 8.4??

2. I haven't installed the rest of the suite 8 contents that comes on the disks, I do plan on using Live 9 soon, but if I install the disk content with live 8, and Live 9 suite comes with the same content, will I have duplicates in both the Live 8 and Live 9 library??

3. Regarding packs, the packs page on Abletons website is now only showing me only Live 9 packs. If I download these without live 9 installed can I still use them with live 8? Is there a common place that packs are stored that Live 8 or 9 can access?

4. Where the hell do I find the link for Ableton Forums on their website without having to type it into Google????

Thanks for your help ;)

outsidesys

Re: New user who bought Ableton Live 8 Suite with free upgrade

Post by outsidesys » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:30 am

1. Yes, but if I recall it right, the 1.6 GB includes updates to the suite content.

2. Yes

3. No, they're optimized for Live 9. So I doubt you'll have much success with using the Live 9 library or packs in Live 8. Also, Live 9 suite is download only, but you have the option to download/install only the Suite Packs you want or need.

4. Probably your most important question, but I don't know. I have the forum bookmarked.

For what it's worth, I would suggest you start using Live 9 sooner than later. You'll have less confusion by starting with it out of the gate.

Omexis

Re: New user who bought Ableton Live 8 Suite with free upgrade

Post by Omexis » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:37 am

Thanks! I'm slowly getting there with the install of 9!