Using Microtonic as a step sequencer for other plugins and

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
joe europe

Using Microtonic as a step sequencer for other plugins and

Post by joe europe » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:09 pm

Hi folks

Seeing as Live doesn't have a drum step sequencer I'm trying to use Microtonic (by sonic charge) which is a drum synth with a step sequencer to do this job so I can control an external drum module and also drum rack so I don't have to mess about with the piano roll to program drums.

I've set up Microtonic on a soft synth channel. Then I've put in an additional midi channel, selected midi input from the Microtonic channel, set the monitor on the midi channel to IN, and hey presto... nothing. I'm almost 100% sure that the step sequencer in Microtonic puts out midi and so can't see a flaw in my plan.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

su

Re: Using Microtonic as a step sequencer for other plugins and

Post by su » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:31 am

I think Live's stepsequencer is called the midi editor. :wink:

I got your method to work. Make sure to select microtonic in *both* dropdowns underneath "MIDI From".

joe europe

Post by joe europe » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:23 pm

Thanks man - just had a look but i can only select Microtonic in the 1st dropdown underneath "MIDI FROM" - the second dropdown is just for pre and post fx. The extra midi channel just doesn't pick up any midi from the microtonic channel.

hmpf

:)

su

Post by su » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:29 pm

Hmmm.

Not all vsts require you to select an input channel (that second dropdown), but microtonic does. Did you try both versions of microtonic? There's a single channel version and a multichannel version.

As I say, I can get the microtonic step sequencer to drive another midi track here so I'm stumped. It sounds like you're doing everything right.

Maybe post a picture?

Bagatell

Post by Bagatell » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:45 pm

su wrote:As I say, I can get the microtonic step sequencer to drive another midi track here so I'm stumped.
Works fine here too.

joe europe

Post by joe europe » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:10 pm

really weird - did i say I was using the microtonic as an AU rather than VST? maybe herin lies the problem?

su

Post by su » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:40 pm

I'm on win, so hopefully a mac person in the know will stop by.

joe europe

Post by joe europe » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:50 pm

ok cool - thanks for all your help anyway!

Bagatell

Post by Bagatell » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:35 pm

joe europe wrote:really weird - did i say I was using the microtonic as an AU rather than VST? maybe herin lies the problem?

That's your problem.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:46 pm

Bingo, you have to use the VST version for this, not the AU.

joe europe

Post by joe europe » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:00 pm

hallelujah!

thanks

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:36 pm

joe europe wrote:Hi folks

Seeing as Live doesn't have a drum step sequencer I'm trying to use Microtonic (by sonic charge) which is a drum synth with a step sequencer to do this job so I can control an external drum module and also drum rack so I don't have to mess about with the piano roll to program drums.
I don't get this at all.

If I imagine the perfect drum sequencer it's this: All my Drum sounds, by name listed on the left, with grid lanes to the right. Velocity bars at the bottom for easily editing adjacent hits continuously. Then a modulation view over the same area for writing in automation/modulation either freehand or in grid steps. It turns out Live's piano roll is indeed the perfect drum sequencer.

Now if I imagine an awkward setup that needs "messing around" it's this: Fixed buttons to assign drum steps where you can only see one drums sequence at a time and you can't see notes in between the given step length, nor input them without significant hassle. These sequences are input into a device that stores a limited number of patterns and to change these pattern in the DAW, a different note must be assigned to the patterns and entered into the midi clip, thereby creating an extra step for changing patterns. To control other instruments, it must route it's signal out to a different track therefor also taking up more tracks.

Not to sound argumentative, I'm just completely at a loss as to how anyone would want to avoid "messing around" with the piano roll, which in terms of Drum sequencing just doesn't get any simpler or more convenient, in favor of all the actual messing around you need to do in the second scenario. This has always boggled my mind...
Professional Shark Jumper.

joe europe

Post by joe europe » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:28 pm

See your point but I'm used to old drum machines and want to sequence an external drum module (monoxide airbases) in a different way to using piano roll.

Have used piano roll on ableton or cubase vst before that for years and do love them but sometimes you got to mix it up.