Screw you Komplete 9 upgrade install discs!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
beats me

Screw you Komplete 9 upgrade install discs!

Post by beats me » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:48 pm

There’s 12 install discs.

First attempt took about 2 hours in and it crapped out on the 3rd disc with an error message. Have to start from scratch. :x

Next attempt took a little longer but crapped out on the 4th disc with an error message. I then noticed there was some smudges on some of the discs. Started over again but wiped clean each disc before I put it in the drive. :x

Next attempt it got about 5 and half hours in but stopped at disc “I”, second to the last. Not because it was dirty but because I didn’t get a disc “I”. I got 2 disc “J”s. NOTE: Before I started installing I saw there was 2 “J” discs but was really hoping it was a misprint on the disc and since I bought it online I can’t just go to a store and replace it. :x

So I sent an email to NI tech support to see how I can get a disc “I”. And I wait. I still activated it though because from what I can tell all the later discs are Kontakt library content which I’m not in a big rush to use anyway.

Now I really know why optical drives and discs need to die. I would have shelled out a little more money if they just would have put the install on a thumb drive. :x

SKerkewitz

Re: Screw you Komplete 9 upgrade install discs!

Post by SKerkewitz » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:06 pm

I don't understand why you have to install from Disc anyways. It's 2013 - a simple download would be nice. And yes, they could still sell the box so everybody without broadcast connection can still install from disc.

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:13 pm

My diatribe above is exactly why we should not be installing from discs anymore. Apple has stopped putting optical drives on almost all of their computers and I’m sure the manufactures that still do are putting in the cheapest drives possible because they know it’s mostly dead technology.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:29 pm

no way! physical media is a good thing to have. maybe not in this case, but i think its a bad idea not to have something more permanent. think of it like this, you can put your pictures, your tax return, or any sensitive info that you want to maintain on a CD. then, you can put that CD in a box, safe, in YOUR possession, not the cloud... that pillar of trust everyone thinks has only their very best interest that of their personal information in mind. there is no working parts on that disc, nothing to break (like on a flash drive). all you need is a reader... which will be around for a while longer.

having to download enough information to fill up 12 DVDs... :|

TYLRbass

Post by TYLRbass » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:41 pm

SKerkewitz wrote:a simple download would be nice.
It's about 80GB of samples if I remember correctly.. that doesn't sound like a simple download to me..

Well, maybe simple but it would take ages if you don't have a very quick connection

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:21 pm

If it's an upgrade, why do you have to install all the content again? The first disc has the new software (Battery and Monark) and then just check the new content (Giant and Session Strings). Nothing else has changed. Did you get a new computer or something? Or were you upgrading from a much earlier version?

For a full install, Komplete Ulitmate was a blessing since it came on a hard drive. Installing Komplete Standard used to be such a Pain. This time it was just plug-in hit install and walk away for 2 hours.
Professional Shark Jumper.

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:47 pm

H20nly wrote:no way! physical media is a good thing to have. maybe not in this case, but i think its a bad idea not to have something more permanent. think of it like this, you can put your pictures, your tax return, or any sensitive info that you want to maintain on a CD. then, you can put that CD in a box, safe, in YOUR possession, not the cloud... that pillar of trust everyone thinks has only their very best interest that of their personal information in mind. there is no working parts on that disc, nothing to break (like on a flash drive). all you need is a reader... which will be around for a while longer.

having to download enough information to fill up 12 DVDs... :|

Good point but even for that you don’t need the workhorse drive you used to have to need and I’m sure manufacturers know that. You just need a drive that can read and write occasionally but doesn’t need to handle 6+ hours of installing something.

I forgot to mention I also bought a $30 external drive specifically for this install because I thought my iMac’s built-in drive was on the fritz. Sloooooow and then the error massages. The new drive ended up doing the same thing. :x

glitchrock-buddha wrote:If it's an upgrade, why do you have to install all the content again? The first disc has the new software (Battery and Monark) and then just check the new content (Giant and Session Strings). Nothing else has changed. Did you get a new computer or something? Or were you upgrading from a much earlier version?

For a full install, Komplete Ulitmate was a blessing since it came on a hard drive. Installing Komplete Standard used to be such a Pain. This time it was just plug-in hit install and walk away for 2 hours.

I was upgrading from Komplete 6. But even then I bought several of the expansion packs that are now part of Komplete 9. I assumed during the install process it scanned the drive ahead of time to see what is already on there. The box said it’s a 120G install but after it prepared to install it said I only needed 89G of space. So I dunno. But also you don’t know what is on what disc. So the content I didn’t already have could be on disc I which I didn’t get or disc J it can’t go to without first putting in I.

The main thing that turned me off to Ultimate is the drive size it takes up, but since you mentioned it I don't know what percentage of that I already have on the drive. I was looking at it as if I needed that total space available.

The second turn off was the price for which is mostly sample content. I don't use Kontakt all that much as it is.

Dalmu

Post by Dalmu » Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:48 pm

glitchrock-buddha wrote:If it's an upgrade, why do you have to install all the content again? The first disc has the new software (Battery and Monark) and then just check the new content (Giant and Session Strings). Nothing else has changed. Did you get a new computer or something? Or were you upgrading from a much earlier version?

komplete ultimate comes in a hard drive? like you connect it to your pc/mac and use as needed?

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:56 pm

Dalmu wrote:

komplete ultimate comes in a hard drive? like you connect it to your pc/mac and use as needed?

No. You can only use it to install. You can't run the software off it.

In other news...

NI just responded that I can download the disc image. That’s great, but is there going to be some other complicated process after that? Do I just download the file and then right click and burn it to DVD and it will read it like it’s the factory disc? I hope it’s that simple.

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:37 pm

You might have to burn to disc, however it might work by just having the file on your hard drive and when it asks for the disk, you double-click to mount it. Might work, who knows, but you should ask NI.

As for installing all the content, you have little check boxes in the installation wizard when you first install Komplete. It's wise to expand those to see what is going to be installed to make sure it's not installing anything you already have. And you can uncheck things you don't want/need.

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:07 pm

So I downloaded the disc image file and went to burn it to DVD. Problem. DVDs are like 4G and the file is 8G. :x

As an aside, I really like Battery 4 but it's beyond me that they didn't include a slicer. May seem like that would be an incentive to get Maschine, but Maschine is a lot more expensive and does a lot more. It’s not like if they put a slicer in Battery then nobody would buy Maschine. But unlike a lot of music software developers, NI does throw in major features in free updates. So maybe they’ll add it later.

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:42 pm

beats me wrote:So I downloaded the disc image file and went to burn it to DVD. Problem. DVDs are like 4G and the file is 8G. :x

As an aside, I really like Battery 4 but it's beyond me that they didn't include a slicer. May seem like that would be an incentive to get Maschine, but Maschine is a lot more expensive and does a lot more. It’s not like if they put a slicer in Battery then nobody would buy Maschine.
The Battery update was weak. A few effects and a better browser. It's a strange product in between Kontakt and Maschine. Battery used to be about big complex kits and multi-sampled acoustic kits. Kontakt has completely taken over the acoustic kits because it's so scriptable. Maschine is the focus for electronic kits and sequencing and sampling. Battery 4 now seems focused on electronic kits, but it's seems like the "if you don't have Maschine" product. That's about it.
beats me wrote: NI does throw in major features in free updates
Only with Maschine. All Komplete products > Never. Ever.

Liam

Post by Liam » Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:45 pm

Even a brand new DVD can have smudges. I just cleaned one for my wife who had to play some DVD she bought. It ws dirty. The packaging was 'new' so who knows.

I also had some problems with Komplete 6 or 7 discs. They sent a whole new package. Then I cleaned the old one and that worked after all.

You have to look at the new discs from various angles to pick up small defects or dirt marks.

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:20 pm

glitchrock-buddha wrote:The Battery update was weak. A few effects and a better browser. It's a strange product in between Kontakt and Maschine. Battery used to be about big complex kits and multi-sampled acoustic kits. Kontakt has completely taken over the acoustic kits because it's so scriptable. Maschine is the focus for electronic kits and sequencing and sampling. Battery 4 now seems focused on electronic kits, but it's seems like the "if you don't have Maschine" product. That's about it.
Maybe I like it because I really didn’t use Battery 3 that much. So 4 reintroduced me to Battery. I honestly don’t know what the differences are.

I’m sticking to Addictive Drums for my acoustic drum needs. They’re dialed in pretty well as is but the interface is also great for emulating live drummer recording if you know what you are doing. Plus they are always releasing new expansion packs. Just when I think they've covered all sounds, styles, and genres they release another one.

My roommate uses nothing but Logic’s drums and more times than not it’s the GarageBand kits which you can’t alter at all. He just drags over an Apple MIDI Loop to find a kit he likes, deletes the pattern, and taps in his own. Ultrabeat’s interface is too unappealing and complex for his attention span. Fuck, all of Logic’s plugin GUIs need a serious overhaul. They’re embarrassing. Battery would be perfect for his way of working with its easy sample swap and editing and large interface.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:23 pm

i've heard your drums before and they sound great... so how do your room mate's sound?