How to update our .py remote script for L9 ?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Valiumdupeuple

How to update our .py remote script for L9 ?

Post by Valiumdupeuple » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:19 pm

Hi.
It seems that some changes happened that makes some of the custom python midi remote scripts not working in L9.
Can someone tell us what do we have to change in our scripts?
Hanz Petrov had update his apc40 emulation and fcb1020 scripts, so some people knows what to do...
(hanz are you here?) :)

Cheers

Ableton Denver

Re: How to update our .py remote script for L9 ?

Post by Ableton Denver » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:39 pm

As I see it (still getting to the most simple solution).

There is a "scene" class that has been added. This needs to be subclassed before you can get close to biz as usual.

I have seen a few ways to go about it and we are determining the best way to address this in rebuilding the Control surface web app for Live9. (modern.dj/app).

My Python chops are growing, but not as strong as I want - we are building a new decompiler to open source more scripts.

The scene class is not a row like you think, I posit that we are looking at a proto "paging" system in the scripts (ergo the higher level almost bootstrap quality).
closed the user group on purpose.

Emerah

Post by Emerah » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:18 am

I have to spend sometime on the new modules to figure out what they do but here are the most obvious changes:

1. the import of the Capabilities module and the addition of the 'get_capabilities' function in the __init__.py module
2. the import of the 'with_statement' from __future__ module in the main script (must be imported on the 1st line of the script)
3. the use of 'with component_guard()' function under class __init__
4. the use of decorators like '@'

a quick remedy to L8 scripts is to add the with_statement import on the 1st line of the script like this:

from __future__ import with_statement

now under 'def __init__(self, c_instance)' add 'with component_guard()' like this:

class 'scriptName'(ControlSurface):

----def __init__(self, c_instance):
--------ControlSurface.__init__(self, c_instance)
--------with self.component_guard():
------------"continue writing your variables"

the decompiled L9 scripts are available here (search the forum if you don't have them already), take a look at any of the scripts for good examples. of course this is only what my eyes caught so far.
it never ends. neither does it begin where you think it does. its only in your mind.

Valiumdupeuple

Post by Valiumdupeuple » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:20 pm

Thx for all these informations!
I'll investigate.
Cheers.

Ableton Denver

Post by Ableton Denver » Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:16 pm

Nice - got scripts updates but the color/box is MIA. Tips are welcome. I will drop a blog post out there for all fo us when I get it under wraps.

Thx mucho.

Emerah

Post by Emerah » Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:59 am

MIA?

also what controller and script are you using?
it never ends. neither does it begin where you think it does. its only in your mind.

Ableton Denver

Post by Ableton Denver » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:18 am

I got it - I will have a blog post out soon, prolly on djnsm.com on how to update simple scripts to 9. You tips helped, but there was more I needed to find.

Thx for being engaged. Hit me via twitter to connect if you want - @djnsm

What script am I using?...my own - I write them. I also wrote the web app that writes live8 scripts (yes Py).

The live9 web app is looking to be OFF THE HOOK!!!! - I will be testing the code and building for the next 2 weeks while I am in NYC. Release for the end fo spring.

These fools better not mess with the API...

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:11 am

Wicked, I'll be in touch!

Cheers
D

Emerah

Post by Emerah » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:03 pm

@AbletonDenver

this if funny, because I too used your web-app produced scripts to learn from when I started learning python :) thanks for the great web-app service man :)

Chris_Nilson

Post by Chris_Nilson » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:32 pm

@AbletonDenver : Thank you so much for your work !

I'm a new "remote script" user and I have one question about it ! I work on a projct in my engineering school wich is a controller midi (like a Launchpad but I add some potards, faders and an LCD screen) based on a Arduino. I manage to send midi from Arduino to Ableton Live but I can't do it from Ableton to Arduino.

In fact I use a 4*4 box (like Launchpad) but I would that all the clip wich are in this box turn on the right led on my matrix button pad and I would like to receive the color information about these clip (I use RGB led). Is it possible to do it with remote script ? Just someone could help me by giving me an exemple of code. I'm stuck with it :/

quirksmode

Post by quirksmode » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:36 pm

I don't suppose anyone knows where I can get the working decompiled scripts for the APC40?

Chris_Nilson

Post by Chris_Nilson » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:43 pm

quirksmode wrote:I don't suppose anyone knows where I can get the working decompiled scripts for the APC40?
I suppose that you want the decimpilde scripts for Live 9. You can find them here https://github.com/gluon/AbletonLive9_RemoteScripts

octavious

Post by octavious » Fri May 17, 2013 1:15 am

nevermind. sry.