Battery 4 + Live 9 Drum Racks

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Destro

Battery 4 + Live 9 Drum Racks

Post by Destro » Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:30 am

Does Battery 4 work with Live 9's drum racks?

Or do I have to jump through a few hoops to get them to work together? If so, how complicated is the procedure?

Thanks!

outsidesys

Re: Battery 4 + Live 9 Drum Racks

Post by outsidesys » Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:53 pm

Conceptually, they're pretty close to being the same thing. How are looking to integrate them? As far as I know the only thing you'll be able to do is drop an instance of B4 into a Drum Rack pad.

Destro

Post by Destro » Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:17 pm

I have Ableton's Push. Its step sequencer mode only works with Drum Racks, not the normal piano roll.

Basically, I'm wondering if I'll be able to use Push's step sequencer mode with Battery 4.

Asymmetricalmusic

Post by Asymmetricalmusic » Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:08 pm

Drum rack with external instrument dropped on to it? maybe route MIDI to the old IAC bus on macs ( I haven't used that since osx 10.4)

Just my first thought. Hope you can get it working

Maybe you have to route the b4s output to a different track

Hope this helps

marcoskohler

Post by marcoskohler » Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:20 pm

What do you want to accomplish? Battery 4 Library comes in unencrypted .wav's this time so you could just use the samples if you wanted.

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:14 pm

If you really want to use Battery (rather than just the samples), you can load it onto a cell, put that to accept all midi ins. Then use external instrument devices, sending to Battery. If you have no more pads then Battery has outs, you can use the midi out and audio in for the ext. instrument for all Battery's outputs. Otherwise you can do that for some and leave the rest of the outs of Battery's pad.

One thing to keep in mind is that Battery 4's library is now designed by octaves. They use a consistent approach to the Kick being on the C, snares and hats on consistent keys etc. So the most intuitive mapping appraoch with Drum Racks is likely to use only the first 12 pads of a given square for a single line of Battery's Kit.
Professional Shark Jumper.