How to stop Push light feedback from other midi controllers?

Discuss Push with other users.
glitchrock-buddha

How to stop Push light feedback from other midi controllers?

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:09 pm

I was playing yesterday in Live where I was controlling Push and someone else was playing e-drums. Although the E-drum channel was set to only receive from the e-drum kit and my other channels were set to only receive from Push, I was still getting the light flashing on all the notes where the e-drum was playing. No midi outs were set. This would be the same with another keyboard controller. It's very distracting, I don't want the lights flickering all over from other midi signals on other tracks when I play push.

How can I stop this?
Professional Shark Jumper.

coleb

Re: How to stop Push light feedback from other midi controllers?

Post by coleb » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:56 am

if i remember right, push sends midi notes out starting on channel 6 and uses the next channel for each column of pads. i.e. 2nd column of pads is channel 7, etc.. i'm assuming they respond to the same notes that they send too (although I can't test that just right now)

so you could try making sure that the other midi devices that run through ableton are using midi data on channels other than 6-13. let me know if that works, because i'm curious to hear.

glitchrock-buddha

Re: How to stop Push light feedback from other midi controllers?

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:21 am

Thanks for the tip, I'll give it a shot. Hopefully it's that easy to change. Sometimes it would actually be really cool to have the notes light up when someone else is playing a keyboard in the same set, that lets the Push controller see what they're playing (I'm thinking mainly of musician friends who aren't so skilled with keys or melodic instruments but might like to play push). But when I've got e-drums set up, I definitely don' t want those flashing all over the place.
Professional Shark Jumper.