Is it still considered a rave?

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
beats me

Is it still considered a rave?

Post by beats me » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:56 pm

So bands at a one night event is a concert and several days of bands and/or DJs is a festival. What do you call a one night event with nothing but DJs at a commercial venue? I’m of the belief that raves have an underground element to them, not something advertised on the radio and held at a stadium. Am I wrong?

d.reamonn

Re: Is it still considered a rave?

Post by d.reamonn » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:29 pm

beats me wrote:So bands at a one night event is a concert and several days of bands and/or DJs is a festival. What do you call a one night event with nothing but DJs at a commercial venue? I’m of the belief that raves have an underground element to them, not something advertised on the radio and held at a stadium. Am I wrong?
If it's legal, it's not a rave. What you have there is a soirée.
https://soundcloud.com/maybe-logic

"I wanted to not like your [music], but it's actually pretty awesome. Banana hammock."
- eddiex

infernal.machine

Post by infernal.machine » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:35 pm

I was under the impression that in order for an event to be classified a soirée there must be an absence of people sucking on glowing pacifiers coated in vicks vaporub and STDs.
:?

SuburbanThug

Post by SuburbanThug » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:27 pm

I thought the only people who used the term"rave" post-early nineties were news programs. We called them parties in my town. At a legal venue? Unfortunately I think you're stuck with the un-cool and un-specific term "event."

Da hand

Post by Da hand » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:18 am

I agree, the only people using the word "rave" these days are people who do not know much about house/techno/electro/etc.. events.

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:26 am

Alright, so basically there currently isn't a term.

If I told somebody I was going to an "event" they'd have no clue what the fuck I was talking about, nor would I if they said they are going to an event. Event can be many things and is not synonymous with a bunch of DJs playing a 5,000+ people venue.

SuburbanThug

Post by SuburbanThug » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:42 am

I have been know to say "rave party" when I'm feeling cheeky, when I'm talking to someone who wouldn't assume that I meant a "rave party." At legal venues I often refer to them as shows if it's live sets or "I'm going to see this DJ" or, "Some DJs" if it's DJs. I'm old though. I'm kind of under the assumption that the new scene is a bit less developed than the old-school one when it comes to terms, slang, hip factor. Things seem a little bit mainstream to me now. I'm pretty sure that rave is acceptable terminology to younger people (in America?) these days since actual illegal parties are somewhat far and inbetween. Do they say "rager?" I don't know. I'm out of touch. Don't pay attention to grandpa rave, he's taken a few too many unidentified substances.

[art]

Post by [art] » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:37 am

'Party'.

Da hand

Post by Da hand » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:52 am

beats me wrote:Alright, so basically there currently isn't a term.

If I told somebody I was going to an "event" they'd have no clue what the fuck I was talking about, nor would I if they said they are going to an event. Event can be many things and is not synonymous with a bunch of DJs playing a 5,000+ people venue.
That is the thing, there doesn't need to be a term for it. People trying to find a term for it shows they are trying too hard = not so cool ;) Most events/parties I organise or go to are called just that, no matter how big or legal they are. Most events/parties have a name or a guest DJ(s) playing, so you go with that as the description.

It is the same with a concert. Is there a term for a concert happening in a 5,000+ or 20,000+ people venue versus a 200+ venue?

andydes

Post by andydes » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:00 am

If you're talking to your boss or your mum, it's a concert, performance, gig, etc.

If you're talking to your most fucked up druggy friends, the term rave may be acceptable. But I'd expect it to be all acid house and day glo clothes. Or at least have some element like that.

The word has fallen out of usage. So if you say it's a rave, that's the image it brings up. Nothing to do with there being a correct definition based on legality or anything else.

arafel

Post by arafel » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:38 pm

Your jaded enough to use 'rave' in an ironic fashion...
as a dis upon the commercialization of a once underground subculture, with potential.
But we still go...

I use the term 'wake' to imply the departure of a real loved one.

P.L.U.R
2.8ghz Quad Mac, Live 9.77, Remote25, Maschine 1, Fa-66 optical link, Samson 65a. Dog hair.. lots.

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:35 pm

Not being able to call a large gathering of people where there’s only DJs playing, an epic light show, and most people are bouncing off the walls drunk or high a rave is the same snobbery that says anybody spinning anything other than vinyl isn’t a DJ. Get over it.

The only difference is it’s not at some secret unsanctioned location. Everything else is exactly the same.

SuburbanThug

Post by SuburbanThug » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:47 pm

It's funny how often accuracy and snobbery get confused these days... Only 31 and I feel like I'm approaching 70.

Jack McOck

Post by Jack McOck » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:58 pm

SuburbanThug wrote:It's funny how often accuracy and snobbery get confused these days... Only 31 and I feel like I'm approaching 70.
I often rate the quality of a thread by how much unsolicited personal information people volunteer.

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:25 pm

I’m sure many a 70-year-old went up to a pop band back in the 50’s and went “Your outfit here does not feature strings, woodwinds, or brass sections. How dare you call this a concert! Full orchestras will never die!”