Hey Ableton -WTF?!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Citizen

Hey Ableton -WTF?!

Post by Citizen » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:52 am

A 600 page PDF manual...with NO contents page?!

8O

Are you kidding me?

artpunk

Re: Hey Ableton -WTF?!

Post by artpunk » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:43 am

It does have a table of contents. In the pdf viewer there is usually an option to expand the sidebar which will show either thumbnails, table of contents, whatever is an option in any given document (some have more options than others)

“... it was just to make an average listener go: ‘What the fuck is this?’ That’s a real inspiration for me and something that I will explore more on upcoming recordings.”
- Wally De Backer (Gotye) quoting Ween's intention behind making records

timothyallan

Post by timothyallan » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:53 am

Nope, they are NOT kidding you.

K1D1M35N

Post by K1D1M35N » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:38 am

They should switch to HTML help, much more convienent to browse while on the machine.

For printing out PDF is ok though.

bastien

Post by bastien » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:31 pm

K1D1M35N wrote:They should switch to HTML help, much more convienent to browse while on the machine.
Not so useful on an e-book reader though.

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:44 pm

No contents page; but Chapter 1 is a guide to the contents; there a long and detailed list of html bookmarks and the whole text is hyperlinked which basically makes it a decent html guide. Also a decentish index. I find I can find what I am looking for fairly easily, on the all too rare occasions when I RTFM.

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:15 pm

In general the Manual could be more informative. I find it is accurate as a documentation of the features, but crucial aspects of how the software behaves (e.g. the browser) could be described in a lot more detail.

Citizen

Post by Citizen » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:34 pm

OK - found that contents in side tab. Still, it is customary (not to mention VERY helpful) to include a hyperlinked contents page within the content of a PDF.

Also, not having a contents page makes the document pretty useless if someone should want to print out a portion of it.

Anyway - does anyone know how to adjust the sensitivity of Pushs pads - couldn't find it in the manual.

artpunk

Post by artpunk » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:44 pm

Citizen wrote:OK - found that contents in side tab. Still, it is customary (not to mention VERY helpful) to include a hyperlinked contents page within the content of a PDF.

Also, not having a contents page makes the document pretty useless if someone should want to print out a portion of it.

Anyway - does anyone know how to adjust the sensitivity of Pushs pads - couldn't find it in the manual.
Not sure what page number it is in the manual you have (as pages have been added with new beta releases) but it is there in the Using Push section under 'Setting User Preferences' (its 27.10 in my user manual) -you can expand the sidebar table of contents wherever there is an arrow, it drills down pretty specifically.
Also there is this:
https://www.ableton.com/en/help/learn-push/

:D

“... it was just to make an average listener go: ‘What the fuck is this?’ That’s a real inspiration for me and something that I will explore more on upcoming recordings.”
- Wally De Backer (Gotye) quoting Ween's intention behind making records

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:23 am

or you could search for "sensitivity" in your PDF reader...