Faulty LCD screen on Push????

Discuss Push with other users.
Slaphead1000

Faulty LCD screen on Push????

Post by Slaphead1000 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:51 pm

Hi all!

PLEASE HELP!! :-/ Finally got my Push and it has what I think might be a fault - equally it could be me doing something dumb. The writing on the LCD screen (kits, fx etc from Live 9) doesnt appear!! It has appeared, at times, but it's not there.

Any ideas? System reboot? Firmware update?

As you can probably tell, I'm very new to Push and only had Live 9 few days ago

Thanks in advance

badeshi

Re: Faulty LCD screen on Push????

Post by badeshi » Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:11 pm

does it still send MIDI data? do the pads etc work?

my screen went blank due to bad firmware update, but all of it stopped working until I fixed...

Asymmetricalmusic

Post by Asymmetricalmusic » Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:38 pm

User mode is blank?

otherwise IDK

good luck.....

Slaphead1000

Post by Slaphead1000 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:18 pm

Yes the MIDI all still works - all the pads too e.g they trigger drums etc - but no text on the screen.

Re 'User' Mode - tbh I'm not entirely sure how To know what mode I'm in (as it's screen didn't work out of the box the usual process of learning it's modes etc didn't take place) My guess is by virtue of pressing every single button in multiple ways I've had it in and out of user mode. Is the 'user' button a toggle for this mode?

I did try switching it on without USB - this brings up what I think is the shop demo mode, which I believe should show txt on the screen. This mode initiated but again without text :-/

Thanks BTW for your help so far - I'm kinda hoping someone comes up with something as I'm facing several months wait for a replacement.

panten

Post by panten » Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:54 pm

This sounds like a serious issue with the LCD. My advice would be to contact official support. This post from David explains.

viewtopic.php?f=55&t=192396

Slaphead1000

Post by Slaphead1000 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:18 pm

Thank you - regrettebly it seems it might be a serious hardware fault.

However, I have a bit of an electronics background (I mess with my vintage synths a little and used to mess around with radios) and I'm going to have a look inside (I know, famous last words ). My hunch is that the screen is simply unplugged - perhaps a knock in transit has unseated a cable - I'll have a quick look and report back. My experience with hardware is that it's rarely an actual fault, more often something disconnected.

Again, much appreciate all the ideas and feedback

Slaphead1000

Post by Slaphead1000 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:20 pm

:) Nailed it!!!! It's working.

Took a look under my Push's bonnet and found the ribbon cable that connects the LCD screen to the main board was everso-slightly unseated. Unclipped it - pushed it in properly and clipped it back in place & BOOM it works!!!

Thanks all for help. I'm a happy camper again. I'm now going to get watching YouTube tutorials on how to use the bl**dy thing :)

panten

Post by panten » Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:59 pm

O.o BOSH and you're in :)

Congratulations on being brave enough to take apart a brand new faulty piece of equipment and actually fix the damn thing.
Well done sir.

oh btw..

http://www.reddit.com/r/abletonpushvideos/new/

cyclicAMP

Post by cyclicAMP » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:54 am

Nice work Slaphead1000! You went with your gut, and it paid off!

lo.key

Post by lo.key » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:47 pm

glad to hear you got it working properly!

Geometrico

Post by Geometrico » Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:00 pm

Hello,
i have the exact same problem ! Just received my Push and nothing ever appeared on the LCD screen, but MIDI works, i can produce some sound.. I tried to re-update the firmware several times, change the USB cable, but nothing changed.
Can you tell me if the procedure you used is doable by someone who knows nothing about electronics? :)
Will it cancel the warranty if i open it myself?
Best,
Slaphead1000 wrote::) Nailed it!!!! It's working.

Took a look under my Push's bonnet and found the ribbon cable that connects the LCD screen to the main board was everso-slightly unseated. Unclipped it - pushed it in properly and clipped it back in place & BOOM it works!!!

Thanks all for help. I'm a happy camper again. I'm now going to get watching YouTube tutorials on how to use the bl**dy thing :)

tedlogan

Post by tedlogan » Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:45 pm

Slaphead1000 wrote::) Nailed it!!!! It's working.

awesome! These small victories kick huge asses.

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:14 pm

cyclicAMP wrote:Nice work Slaphead1000! You went with your gut, and it paid off!
...by possibly voiding his warranty ;-)

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:17 pm

Geometrico wrote:Hello,
i have the exact same problem ! Just received my Push and nothing ever appeared on the LCD screen, but MIDI works, i can produce some sound.. I tried to re-update the firmware several times, change the USB cable, but nothing changed.
Can you tell me if the procedure you used is doable by someone who knows nothing about electronics? :)
Will it cancel the warranty if i open it myself?
Best,
I would assume the answer to this would be: yes and yes :(