any word from abes on the poor user browsing in push?

Discuss Push with other users.
Steve Glen

Re: any word from abes on the poor user browsing in push?

Post by Steve Glen » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:30 am

I don't understand, Jesse. How do you put them into your user library? Please be specific.

Asymmetricalmusic

Post by Asymmetricalmusic » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:04 am

Thanks tons Jesse

Please continue to our light in the darkness that is Push.

I'd buy another one if it help get this thing some easy user functionality!

ie: browser mirroring so I can set things up easy in the browser and see the changes on Push's browser!

Come on "Ease Of Use" I'm putting money on this!

scientist

Post by scientist » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:20 pm

Steve Glen wrote:I don't understand, Jesse. How do you put them into your user library? Please be specific.
there should be a FAQ for this, but it is currently offline (and wasn't all that accurate anyway).
current method for browsing your own samples from push:

1. create a new folder in "places > user library" that has the same name as one that appears in "categories > drums > drum hits", e.g. "kicks", so that you now have "places > user library > kicks". (i believe this can also be within a subfolder "drum hits").
2. add a sample (or folder of samples) to "places" in the live 9 browser.
3. move a sample from the newly indexed folder into "places > user library > kicks"
on push:
4. create a new drum rack.
5. select/highlight a drum slot by pressing a pad AND hitting the button just below the sample/pad name in the second column of the LCD display.
6. hit the browse button and your sample should show up within the appropriate folder.

Bobbyandreano

Post by Bobbyandreano » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:58 pm

Push and the Live 9 browser should simply mirror one another allowing Push's knobs and/or cursor buttons plus pads to scroll, preview and swap samples. Anything less or different seems like a big miss to me. Hands on the Push with eyes on the computer screen would be the most enjoyable and practical way for me to work. I really like the new L9 browser, it's weird that my Push doesn't.

brianbacio

Post by brianbacio » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:30 pm

Imagine Korg or some other big name hiting the market with hardware that runs like Push but with THEIR browser laws, asking politely but firmly to arrange your samples just so and so. What chaos for everyone. The rule IS that you build hardware that works smoothly and is a slave to your computer NOT the other way around.
BrianBacio
a modern computer and all sorts of hardware

Forge.

Post by Forge. » Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:59 am

Just to throw another opinion in to the mix....

after having Push for about a week I have come to the conclusion that I can't see myself ever really browsing much on the Push anyway. It takes me back to the old sampler days working on that shitty little LCD which is not something I even vaguely miss.

I see this as a studio tool for making beats, chords, melodies, some clip level automation and triggering clips. Kind of like a MIDI keyboard that's specifically for Live. It's all about the pads. So it's really just filling one gap in the whole production process. It's really not much use when you want to move into the arranger anyway, definitely not for mixing. But for the purpose it's best at it's great, I'm loving it and having great fun with it. But that quickly turns to misery when I try and browse with it, so I just don't waste my time trying to make that one work.

It's always right next to my computer, and it will always be 50 billion times easier to browse on my laptop. The browse button takes me right to the right location, then I can use the trackpad or arrow keys to go through everything (WITH previewing too) far more easily.

If I ever try and use it for a performance then I would do more pre-production first, getting sets ready so that I didn't have to browse, and the laptop is still going to be right there anyway, I'd have to put it somewhere nearby.

I would rather not see Ableton put too much time into trying to make things like the browser do everything, because browsing on it really kinda sucks and always will frankly. There's a reason these tiny monochrome LCDs got left in the 90s!

[/2c]

tonfilm

Post by tonfilm » Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:05 am

Forge. wrote:... I can't see myself ever really browsing much on the Push anyway. It takes me back to the old sampler days working on that shitty little LCD which is not something I even vaguely miss.

I would rather not see Ableton put too much time into trying to make things like the browser do everything, because browsing on it really kinda sucks and always will frankly. There's a reason these tiny monochrome LCDs got left in the 90s!

[/2c]
i like that pragmatism and totally agree. and i also wonder about that oldschool monochrome display... today, it shouldn't be a problem to install a proper dotmatrix which can display more than text and bars. this would allow users to display waveforms or other fancy stuff, if ableton won't implement it.

but back to topic, i also don't see myself browsing for sounds/instruments with push. it was funny at the beginning, but you are 10 times faster on the laptop. only thing i would often use is creating an empty drum rack where i place my samples in. that's would be a nice shortcut, but you have to save one beforehand, you can't open an empty rack... but all other instruments with default preset... why not drum rack?

lo.key

Post by lo.key » Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:52 am

the point being that you already have a great, high quality display sitting right next to your push. the lcd is there most primarily to allow feedback for the knobs. i see it as a foolish marketing blunder for them have phrased this as a computer free controller...

Blendton

Post by Blendton » Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:11 pm

pencilrocket wrote:Pathetic wannabe Steve jobs...
Strange... I'm in fact convinced that

1/ Behles thoughts about Jobs are from zero to some pieces of seconds per month

2/ Do you know, I mean are you close enough to one or more persons who are

a/ germans (professionally serious, and no, it's not "just a cliché", I know what I say) ---

b) CEO of a music soft maker but not really involved in performing, Henke's perfect team-mate to do fair, prepared, scheduled, but most important ACCURATE business and constant improvement : since Behle is a laconic person, sure he knows so well what he's doing : being innovative in a freezed by defect universe depending on something which isn't as before.

Since not so long ago we needed more power : we have it now, the end.

Seriously, I could be weiting stuff for a while, but just go to Youtube's growing collection of WTF performances done with : a computer + a Live 9 edition + a Push on the desk.

Sacrifices are necessary. And if you are still angry about the little "hard to swallow" pill, I mean, changing essentials without warning which imp^lies that some particular user will really be unable to trust Live 9 from its debuts... Well, as I see things in constant evolution and alwaus had a bit more than average insight view about how "whole" things work...

Every disabled customer is a necessary loss. IMHO. And not just mine.

Really, go check videos of shockingly NEW and AWESOME stuff already made by some, and no wotty about the boss : he does the job so well you are indeed the living evidence of his good strategy and skills as a CEO and visionary boss : you just see the cons, because they are already jere, you don't think about any pros because you don't have to, and in one or two years, the CEO will be forgiven ...

BTW,

I try to write a serious and tricky point of view in english, I took 1h30 for this one.

So please, my opinion is just an opinion, but business stuff, I pretty know how it's done. Trust me. Or not, WTF

Warm regards.
Antoine, aka Blendton.

Ableton Live 9 Suite (64-bit) & Ableton Suite 8 + Max for Live (32-bit)
Toshiba Qosmio F750 + lenticular glasses-free 3D
i7 2670QM 2,20GHz - 2x4GB DDR3-1333 - 5400rpm HDD

ZALTA19900

Post by ZALTA19900 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:35 pm

it just doesnt seem logical not to mirror it or have filters on it, its hard to understand maybe it was really hard to code i have no idea because i dont code,
i think someone from ableton should address the people and explain the logic behind it or better still update it we can play out sexy samples.
It makes me want to cry or complain to the government or take up air guita

turbomartin

Post by turbomartin » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:15 pm

Is it possible to browse samples like in the maschine comparison shown below (from 4:00)?

With all the workarounds summed up, I am a little confused. I'm just wondering if it is possible to approach this feature at all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSuFK5_iUew&t=4m0s