All external VST's stopped working

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
NEPLE

All external VST's stopped working

Post by NEPLE » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:00 pm

Hey guys, I have project that I've been working on for a few weeks. And tweaking it to no end, anyway I started up my computer this morning and moved all my plugins, after this all the external VST's inside my program disabled itself, giving no sound, and affecting no sound. Now here's where it gets wierd.

1) It only happens within that ONE project

2) They are active (they aren't clicked off) so when I ACTUALLY deactivate the plugin and reactivate it, the plugin works. BUT when I render out the project all the sounds on the project have turned itself off again, and the exported track is without all the sounds once again.

3) There actually is one plugin that does work, and it's the Minimoog, but what's wierd here is that I have two channels using it. And only one of the channels using it works....

This is by far the most annoying problem I have ever encountered in my DAW history. And sicne this is my biggest and proudest project, it's quite frankly driving me insane. Please help

darkenedsoul

Re: All external VST's stopped working

Post by darkenedsoul » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:05 pm

Well, I have to ask this...why did you move your plugins? Did you re-point Live to this new location? That may resolve your issue, then again it may not.

I try not to do anything of that sort just for the situation you are in happening. Trying pointing live to new location, reboot for good measure and see what happens on that set. Why other sets aren't failing is a mystery as they should all have some sort of issue since you moved the plugins.

Mike
http://www.darkenedsoul.net - main website
Ableton Live 8.x/9.x : NI Komplete 8 : Home built 4690K 16GB 500GB SSD, 1TB 7200, 2x2TB.

NEPLE

Post by NEPLE » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:14 pm

darkenedsoul wrote:Well, I have to ask this...why did you move your plugins? Did you re-point Live to this new location? That may resolve your issue, then again it may not.

I try not to do anything of that sort just for the situation you are in happening. Trying pointing live to new location, reboot for good measure and see what happens on that set. Why other sets aren't failing is a mystery as they should all have some sort of issue since you moved the plugins.

Mike
Have already done that, did not work, and I do agree that this does happen when you do stuff like that, I think it's wierd that it happens to EVERY plugin except 1

NEPLE

Post by NEPLE » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:27 pm

BUMP: any mroe suggestions, sorry, but I'm desperate!

bishops

Post by bishops » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:58 am

NEPLE wrote:BUMP: any mroe suggestions, sorry, but I'm desperate!
Hey - having the exact same problem, just started yesterday. I opened a session that I'd been working many long hours on to have it sound very odd. I started going through and sure enough, about 85% of the external plugins are "turned off" even though their active lights are on. I have to click them off and then back on again, and they start working again. These are all legit, non cracked plugins. Waves, Native, etc. Although strangely I believe my Soundtoys effects don't have this problem. I tried closing and reopening the set a couple times and it happens every time the set opens. Unbelievably annoying/frustrating. I haven't tried rendering yet, but good God if it renders with all the plugins "off", this officially makes Ableton completely useless. This is a serious problem - I'm going to submit a support request.

EDIT: I just tried rendering a few bars and it sounds normal, so at least that isn't happening here. But this is still major and needs to be fixed...

EDIT: Sent in support request. one big thing I noticed - I believe some time in the last 24-48 hours Ableton automatically updated itself from 9.0.2 to 9.0.3. I'm thinking maybe this has something to do with it...

kenporter

Post by kenporter » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:20 am

Having the same issue. This seems to be a 9.0.3 bug. It just auto updated today and sure enough my sessions that worked fine in 9.0.2 stopped working. I am going back to 9.0.2 using time machine for now. :(

Ken

darkenedsoul

Post by darkenedsoul » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:58 pm

Great....fix a bunch, break something else....typical software coding as I've seen it happen in the corporate/hi-tech world lol. Hopefully they'll get this resolved asap as this is a major issue IMHO, especially for anyone on a deadline....and have auto-update enabled. I am not sure if I turned that off after 9.0.2 and with that one I had to uninstall/re-install 9.0.2 due to the schema changed problem I hit on loading it up (9.0.1) around the time 9.0.2 hit the streets. They need me to do some SQA for them!

Mike
http://www.darkenedsoul.net - main website
Ableton Live 8.x/9.x : NI Komplete 8 : Home built 4690K 16GB 500GB SSD, 1TB 7200, 2x2TB.

GUY SMILEY

Post by GUY SMILEY » Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:43 pm

Yeah I also experienced this problem.
So now thanks to his little bug I have used up my 'final' activation of my Focusrite plugins.
If I ever have to replace my computer I'll lose them.
:x

steko

Post by steko » Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:06 pm

Rahad Jackson wrote:My Awesome Mix Tape #6

f45

Post by f45 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:14 pm

same thing happened to me :( i used time machine to roll back to the previous version i think an update prompt would be a good idea as opposed to just installing updates without your knowledge so this doesn't happen again! :)

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:22 pm

GUY SMILEY wrote:Yeah I also experienced this problem.
So now thanks to his little bug I have used up my 'final' activation of my Focusrite plugins.
If I ever have to replace my computer I'll lose them.
:x
Mail Focusrite Support UK with your details and the following link:

viewtopic.php?p=1507059#p1507059

Tell them what happened. Ask if they could add an Unlock to your account.
I don't know if that'll get you a new unlock. I never needed support for their products, so I can't vouch for that side of it. Worth a shot.

GUY SMILEY

Post by GUY SMILEY » Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:04 pm

hoffman2k wrote: Mail Focusrite Support UK with your details and the following link:

viewtopic.php?p=1507059#p1507059

Tell them what happened. Ask if they could add an Unlock to your account.
I don't know if that'll get you a new unlock. I never needed support for their products, so I can't vouch for that side of it. Worth a shot.
cheers, that's a good idea.

james.gibbs

Post by james.gibbs » Wed May 08, 2013 11:47 am

Me too!
Ableton, please do not release updates unless you know they work!!
I was singing your praises with Live 9,stupid updates like this can cost you customers!