Ableton guess tempo of freestyle jam?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
n2design

Ableton guess tempo of freestyle jam?

Post by n2design » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:27 am

Is there a way to just freestyle on a piano or synth line and when done, have ableton guess what the tempo is?

erikomic

Re: Ableton guess tempo of freestyle jam?

Post by erikomic » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:29 am

while music playing ?

not really.
Tap tempo with footcontroller assigned to the tap tempo is the easest way.

Looper can decide that it sets the tempo of the song but you still have to do an In an out with the foot controller.

So it's not auto but it's better that way.

If you freestyle your own tempo is fluctuent and notes have different length so...

Sional

Post by Sional » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:19 am

In Live 8 you could record your playing as a midi clip and use the midi "Orig. BPM" field to help you determine the tempo at which you played the piece. In Live 9 this useful function has been replaced with a needless midi range function (which no doubt can be controlled by Push)!

nbyte

Post by nbyte » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:39 am

There is a programm called InTime from Circular Logic. It makes realtime beat and tempo tracking!

I have made a short test with it in conjuction with live 9 and it seems to work....

http://www.circular-logic.com/products.html

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:54 pm

When it comes to messing around beforehand. Aside from having Live determine tempos, the other way around is to use indicators to realize Live's tempo (and maybe set Live's tempo to match your playing).

One of my favorite methods is just using a synced delay. As long as it is at a time amount which is very clear to me, it remains invisible to others as I use it. And then I can go from there.

Dragonbreath

Post by Dragonbreath » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:21 pm

You guys dont understand the question.

He wants to record something (midi or maybe even audio) and AFTER hes done recording get ableton to figure out the tempo so he can set the project to match what he just played. (instead of the other way around.)

The looper technique kinda works, Ive tried it before, but you need to really on time with the footswitch.

I was trying to do the same thing before as well, never really found a satisfactory way to do it so just started playing with click or backing track (usualy just a closed high hat playing 1/4 beats, cant stand the metronome sound)

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:37 pm

A 1/4 note delay works almost the same as using a click track. Of course it depends greatly on what kinds of rhythm you play. The great thing about the delay is that it already just seems like part of your instrument.

But yeah, aside from trying to work With the tempo, the options for making Live figure out Your tempo are nearly unusable. As mentioned before, the Looper can have mixed success.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:48 pm

yur2die4 wrote:One of my favorite methods is just using a synced delay. As long as it is at a time amount which is very clear to me, it remains invisible to others as I use it. And then I can go from there.
:? , but that sounds cool. i've struggled with tempo over the years and finally always just settle for either hi-hats or a kick snare combo that i dial up or down to the person playing. if i'm alone... that method sucks. :mrgreen:

anyway can you elaborate a bit more?..
*apologies in advance if this is a case of RTFM or i'm missing the obvious.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:59 pm

I'll maybe have a piano or guitar 'instrument' and a Return channel with a delay that has a bit of feedback. The Delay should be at a note value that makes sense to you. If I do 3/16 note values, I have to be careful and consciously aware of how that interacts with the rhythm of the tones I might be playing.

I'm sure at one time or another we've all experienced those early days of learning/experimenting with Delays where we play notes and the notes might fall in line with the echoes as we plunk around on them.

It is the same concept. Since the note values of a Delay are based on the global tempo, you can just listen to yourself playing and falling inline with the echoes. I personally like 1/4 or 1/8 notes. It makes it most clear in my head. And then as I do that, I just hit Play on the next first beat, everything will match up. Sometimes my way of 'hitting play', will be to trigger an empty record clip slot. No problems :D

Edit: also, I think there is a Dubspot vid that refers to pretty much the same technique. It is tucked away in a Maschine performance vid. Even beyond using just Maschine, it is pretty informative haha.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:52 pm

^ thanks!! :D

*bookmark*

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:03 pm

8) have you used it? any word on the ease of use and/or accuracy?

unlistenable

Post by unlistenable » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:36 am

A method that I use in Live 9 (which I seem to remember seeing posted here before) is to record a MIDI track of 1/4 notes played in time with the freestyle track, then freeze and flatten the MIDI track. Then adjust the Seg. BPM of the flattened MIDI track by moving the mouse until the 1/4 notes line up with the grid. This will give you the BPM. Type this number into the Seg. BPM box for the freestyle track and you have a reasonable estimate that puts it in time with the master BPM (assuming you played your 1/4 notes in time).