Scale resets to C Major when re-opening projects!

Discuss Push with other users.
Citizen

Scale resets to C Major when re-opening projects!

Post by Citizen » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:31 pm

Anyone noticed this?

The selected Scale will remain the same for each new instrument loaded on Push - but when you re-open a project, the Scale will revert to C Major! :evil:

Is this a known bug?

shootdaj

Re: Scale resets to C Major when re-opening projects!

Post by shootdaj » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:45 pm

I believe this may be because the selected scale in not a feature of the track or clip, but rather a setting on the Push itself. It just rearranges the MIDI notes it will send when you change the scale, it doesn't actually send any information about what scale is selected to Live. For your purpose, though, you could use the Scale MIDI effect, which acts like any other effect and saves the scale setting. You can then manually bring up the scale on the Push, or leave it in Chromatic mode and the Scale MIDI effect will automatically transpose it to the proper scale (but you might have to play around with that technique to get it right). I agree, though, that it would be nice to have it saved with each clip.

Citizen

Post by Citizen » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:54 pm

Good points - but if I've forgotten what scale that the original piece was written in, and can't identify it by the notation, then I'm kind of stuck if I want to write additional parts that are in harmony with what was orignally written.

:(

Especially if I've chosen some wacky obscure scale... then there is no chance of my remembering!

shootdaj

Post by shootdaj » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:12 pm

Citizen wrote:Good points - but if I've forgotten what scale that the original piece was written in, and can't identify it by the notation, then I'm kind of stuck if I want to write additional parts that are in harmony with what was orignally written.

:(

Especially if I've chosen some wacky obscure scale... then there is no chance of my remembering!
Yeah sorry but for those cases the only option you may have is to go back and figure out the scale. I have this Android app called "Chord!" and it does reverse scale recognition - you put in the notes on a guitar neck and it tells you what scale it is. It has a LOT of scales built-in so it may at least help you get close to what you originally had. You may want to look into it, or if you'd like to private message me and I can look it up for you.

Dalmu

Post by Dalmu » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:55 pm

I've noticed this too, and this is definitely something that needs to be fixed.

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:37 pm

I can understand that it reverts to a given scale. But I hate that it reverts to in key mode when I keep putting it back to chromatic.
Professional Shark Jumper.

SuburbanThug

Post by SuburbanThug » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:07 pm

There's something about this coming up in the 9.0.3 update but I don't know if it saves your scale with the song. I've been keeping it noted in the title of the song. If I'm not mistaken there's somewhere you can make notes about each individual project?

keithbradyie

Post by keithbradyie » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:15 pm

Have to admit that it is annoying that it resets. Would be great if the 'Scales' feature parameters could be saved to each clip.

SuburbanThug

Post by SuburbanThug » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:16 pm

keithbradyie wrote:Have to admit that it is annoying that it resets. Would be great if the 'Scales' feature parameters could be saved to each clip.
+1

lo.key

Post by lo.key » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:58 pm

or better yet, actually derived from the notes contained in the clip...

ak69

Post by ak69 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:10 pm

I hope they fix this too. In the meantime I cope by creating an empty track and renaming it the name of the scale

Good Night Life

Post by Good Night Life » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:47 pm

Yeah, this issue can definitely kill the creative process when trying to resume work on a track.

mauronedj

Post by mauronedj » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:45 am

Write the scale and the Root note in the project name, trust me it's a good habit :D

bastien

Post by bastien » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:38 am

You can 'Edit info text' on any track or device. Write it into your main chord/harmony part.

Ubik

Post by Ubik » Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:38 pm

i have the same problem, pretty annoying... i have 2 track that i think i choose a unusual scale and i can't remember which but i can still play in non chromatic mode