Possible to select only specific notes to quantize?

Discuss Push with other users.
towers of silence

Possible to select only specific notes to quantize?

Post by towers of silence » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:06 pm

I'm wondering if it's possible to use the controller to select only certain notes in an Instrument clip to be quantized like you can in Drum Seq mode.
Seems like in a non-Drum Rack track, quantize is an all-or-nothing process.

EDIT- for some reason I thought you were able to select specific drum hits and quantize only those but upon further experimentation I can't seem do that. Nudging, yes, but not quantizing, so maybe I just imagined this being a feature

Also, unrelated, but maybe someone has an answer- in "Clip" mode, is it possible to edit the Start position parameters at the 16th note value level? I did discover that holding the Shift button allows the encoders to edit the Beat value but I haven't found a way to edit the 16th note values from the hardware yet.

Hauke

Re: Possible to select only specific notes to quantize?

Post by Hauke » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:19 am

You may thought that because it says in the video "Learn Push - Creating Beats" that you can quantize only one pad if you press and hold it and press the quantize button. Not working here.

djcyph

Post by djcyph » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:39 am

what you can do is hold quantize and select a specific drum pad and only those hits will be quantized and not entire clip

Hauke

Post by Hauke » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:51 am

Oh, so it is the other way around. Thank you very much djcyph :)

cyclicAMP

Post by cyclicAMP » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:04 pm

djcyph wrote:what you can do is hold quantize and select a specific drum pad and only those hits will be quantized and not entire clip
Has anyone tried this in Note mode?? Hold quantize and select a note?

I am in line, waiting for a Push and am curious about details like this.

Hauke

Post by Hauke » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:19 pm

Just tried it. Seems like in note mode (not a Drum Rack), you can only quantize the clip. I tried to select notes with the mouse in Live but still. But I have to say that Live wants to update Push which is failing at the moment. Maybe after the update you can quantize single notes.

agent314

Post by agent314 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:12 pm

Similarly, is it possible to enable repeat for only a single pad?

I would love to be able to keep a hihat 16th note run going by holding down the pad while still being able to put in beats on the kick and snare off-grid

Asymmetricalmusic

Post by Asymmetricalmusic » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:23 pm

Isn't repeat like other buttons where you can have it be momentary if you hold it down and toggle if you just press it quick?

Hauke

Post by Hauke » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:37 pm

agent314 wrote:Similarly, is it possible to enable repeat for only a single pad?

I would love to be able to keep a hihat 16th note run going by holding down the pad while still being able to put in beats on the kick and snare off-grid
Why don't you put an arpeggiator before your hihat?

Well, you cannot control the velocity, swing and speed like usual, but with some extra controller or mouse and keyboard you can do that on the arp device.

agent314

Post by agent314 » Wed May 01, 2013 7:36 am

Why don't you put an arpeggiator before your hihat?
you cannot control the velocity, swing and speed like usual
The repeat mode on Push is so much more playable than just the arp device

Although that gives me an idea - I wonder if it would be possible to essentially rebuild the arpeggiator in Max for Live to mimic the repeat function on Push

Hauke

Post by Hauke » Wed May 01, 2013 11:58 am

agent314 wrote: The repeat mode on Push is so much more playable than just the arp device

Although that gives me an idea - I wonder if it would be possible to essentially rebuild the arpeggiator in Max for Live to mimic the repeat function on Push
No, it is basically an arpeggiator, velocity, and swing controller. Very good playable as a you said, that is true :)

agent314

Post by agent314 » Wed May 01, 2013 4:58 pm

Right, I'm wondering if it could be possible for someone to build that device, so I could for example put it on my hihat rack slot and leave Repeat off

Interesting.....

Hauke

Post by Hauke » Wed May 01, 2013 6:39 pm

agent314 wrote:Right, I'm wondering if it could be possible for someone to build that device, so I could for example put it on my hihat rack slot and leave Repeat off

Interesting.....
I like that idea.

You really should ask that in the Questions & Answers Thread. Maybe the guys at ableton can implement that in an update later.

mylkoa

Post by mylkoa » Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:55 pm

djcyph wrote:what you can do is hold quantize and select a specific drum pad and only those hits will be quantized and not entire clip
Helpful!!!

alexfsu

Post by alexfsu » Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:51 am

what if you just wanna quantize some of the notes that a specific drum pad hit? like if I hold the note on the sequencer and then press quantize it quantizes everything. if i hold quantize and then press the note on the sequencer, it just erases the note