or maybe just MIDI...

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
skiptracer

or maybe just MIDI...

Post by skiptracer » Thu Apr 24, 2003 3:14 pm

Maybe not MIDIMIDIMIDI, but say, something like optional MIDI. Like maybe a third party extremely simple sequencer/VSTi host that could be loaded or not loaded depending on your needs. Also, i hate how the projects are called "live sets". I don't use Live for live, only use it for the studio part, recording and arranging. I also plug my guitars and basses in and apply FX in realtime.

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Fri Apr 25, 2003 5:45 am

I agree, something simple. either a MIDI playback VST or the ability to see Standard MIDI files in the browser and drop them onto a slot.

KISS keep it simple, stupid!
MBP M1Max | MacOS 12.7.2 | Live 11.3.20 | Babyface Pro FS | Push 3 (tethered) | a whole other bunch of controllers
Ableton Certified Trainer
Soundcloud

Agnishvatta

Post by Agnishvatta » Fri Apr 25, 2003 1:55 pm

I agree as well, although if I had the choice to, then I would keep Live audio only. So if midi is implemented, I hope that it will be transparent to those who have no desire for it.

A module of some sort or just something that is actually optional and uses no resources when not loaded, which could also help to keep Lives foot print small if midi does find its way into Live.

I guess ReWire "almost" dismisses the issue of no midi in Live for me. After the next bug fix update it seems like ReWire will be near perfect.

podprod

midi

Post by podprod » Sat Apr 26, 2003 1:40 pm

Agnish:
Think abot it for a minute before you dismiss midi..
Midi power is not simply to play sounds from modules..not to mention virtual synths and samplers midi is used by every major audio program to lock the audio to a numerical grid which is an important feature in pro recording.
Why use rewire and run another audio /midi program to get added features.
If you only use audio the lines have already been blurred being that people using giga,kontakt,unity and the like need midi to trigger the samples and loops in a time grid(midi)and save cpu and ram in a big way.
please..midi and audio is not us and them..
Midi is now 20 years old and one of the few constants in music production we can count on.
By keeping the thought only in audio you might be missing out on some professional techniques and uses that you might enjoy.
Best regards to all
PODPROD