Maschine in Live: controller & workflow/screen question

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Faldoe

Maschine in Live: controller & workflow/screen question

Post by Faldoe » Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:15 pm

I wanted to know who uses Machine in Live - with the Maschine controller. Your thoughts, and also if having the Plugin Maschine screen and the Live screen becomes a hassle - having to deal with both, minimizing Maschine's window. I like a lot of Maschine's sounds - synths and kits, more than Live's, however I like Live for looping/live performance, and the effects.

I'm currently using a Launchpad (which I'd probably keep always) but I'm thinking of getting the Maschine controller.

Any thoughts, comments or advice?

Buleriachk

Re: Maschine in Live: controller & workflow/screen question

Post by Buleriachk » Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:44 am

I just went the Maschine route after agonizing over Push, and I must say that Maschine's integration with Ableton works really well, once you learn it. Ableton's huge strong point (IMO) is the flawless audio time-stretching for loops, but Maschine is HUGE for MIDI control.

I first purchased a Mikro, thinking it would be sufficient, and liked it so much that I returned it and purchased the full Maschine. Then I decided I needed portablility, and just ordered another Mikro. Maschine and its libraries are very, very powerful tools.

And this is from an huge Ableton fan (who just upgraded to Live 9 Suite from Live 8).... and has no regrets whatever....

Faldoe

Post by Faldoe » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:27 am

Thanks Bul, very informative. I figured the larger Maschine controller would be the way to go. besides the portability of the Mikro, does it lack in control over the bigger controller?

rishi

Post by rishi » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:09 pm

I love Maschine. The NI Remote Script turns the Maschine into a great controller for Live too. Consequently, would go for the full Maschine over the Micro because the knobs are great for controlling all your macro's / devices in Live as well as parameters in Maschine.

I build patterns in Maschine but drag them to Live to do all my midi. I dont use the Maschine sequencer at all.

I have a 2nd monitor so I can move GUI's around. The Maschine window can be resized and the sections can be minimized. So, generally, I have the sequencer and Modulation sections minimized and it set to the smaller GUI size and its easy enough to work with. However, if you are on a 13" MBP using the Maschine GUI and Live is a pain.

Timbeaux

Post by Timbeaux » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:28 pm

i only buyed the micro when the mk2 cames out. so i just paid 185 euro for it. if u really want the normal maschine, maybe u can get a maschine mk1 .u can get it for 400 euro as refurbushed version. cause i dont know if 140 euro are worth the money to get colored pads.

the cheapest way would be to get a maschine mikro and an lpd 8 or nocturn to controll the 8 macro's. (as i did)

i use my maschine only as drum trigger for the drumrack. and as a stand alone drummaschine in live (just the audio input to live).

oh, i forgot. i didnt use maschine as a live controller. i tried it, but it wasnt satisfying.

Theo Void

Post by Theo Void » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:10 pm

I just recently bought a Mikro when I couldn't get a PUSH due to them being back-ordered for months. I loved it so much that I returned it and got the Full size Maschine!!! I absolutely LOVE this thing!!! It's amazing and honestly I'm happy it happened this way or I may have never got a MAschine. I haven't used PUSH yet but I can't imagine it being better than Maschine. This thing literally does EVERYTHING that I've ever wanted in a controller and soft-ware integration package. My whole work-flow just changed for the better and I couldn't be happier.
I have yet to use the Live template since I've just been building everything in Maschine and then dropping it into live for further processing. Maybe I'll go check that out!

<3 Maschine

Buleriachk

Post by Buleriachk » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:24 pm

It does everything the bigger controller does, but is not as intuitive, since you really have to learn the shortcuts, and it takes longer to get around. Once you learn it, it can be very fast, but Maschine itself is different from Live (or other DAW's), so there is a learning curve even with the big one.

OMO, the right way is to learn on the big one, and then if you need the portability, go for the Mikro, not the other way around....

Of course an even better alternative is the Maschine + APC40......
Faldoe wrote:Thanks Bul, very informative. I figured the larger Maschine controller would be the way to go. besides the portability of the Mikro, does it lack in control over the bigger controller?

Faldoe

Post by Faldoe » Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:36 pm

rishi wrote:I love Maschine. The NI Remote Script turns the Maschine into a great controller for Live too. Consequently, would go for the full Maschine over the Micro because the knobs are great for controlling all your macro's / devices in Live as well as parameters in Maschine.

I build patterns in Maschine but drag them to Live to do all my midi. I dont use the Maschine sequencer at all.

I have a 2nd monitor so I can move GUI's around. The Maschine window can be resized and the sections can be minimized. So, generally, I have the sequencer and Modulation sections minimized and it set to the smaller GUI size and its easy enough to work with. However, if you are on a 13" MBP using the Maschine GUI and Live is a pain.
Cool, thats a long the lines of what I'd do.

Quick question - can you set pattern/loop lengths for the maschine on the controller? Usually by default the pattern length is one bar and I always need to adjust it to 2 or 4. It would be nice to be able to do that on the hardware.

Timbeaux

Post by Timbeaux » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:16 pm

holding pattern button down and use the knob to adjust from 16 to 64 steps

Faldoe

Post by Faldoe » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:34 pm

Timbeaux wrote:holding pattern button down and use the knob to adjust from 16 to 64 steps
cool. Now I just need a steady job. Someone has an MKI maschine near me for $300

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:15 pm

Faldoe wrote:I wanted to know who uses Machine in Live - with the Maschine controller. Your thoughts, and also if having the Plugin Maschine screen and the Live screen becomes a hassle - having to deal with both, minimizing Maschine's window. I like a lot of Maschine's sounds - synths and kits, more than Live's, however I like Live for looping/live performance, and the effects.

I'm currently using a Launchpad (which I'd probably keep always) but I'm thinking of getting the Maschine controller.

Any thoughts, comments or advice?
A second monitor would certainly be very usable in this set up. But when I work on my 13" MBP (my standard Live template has now 2 sessions of Maschine in 2 group tracks) I usually assign keyboard mappings to the track headers in Live (using the "key" tab in Live) and turn on auto hide plug-in window.
This way just a short key on my computer keyboard switches between the different Maschine GUIs. The switch between the 2 instances on the Maschine Contoller then is of course necessary to switch which Session you actually control (Shift+Step)
Last edited by TomViolenz on Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:21 pm

rishi wrote:I love Maschine. The NI Remote Script turns the Maschine into a great controller for Live too. Consequently, would go for the full Maschine over the Micro because the knobs are great for controlling all your macro's / devices in Live as well as parameters in Maschine.

I rather stay longer in the Maschine sequencer, because if you go into the Step sequencer mode, it is the most hands-on feel to change any Midi issue. Be it timing, velocity or the note, as well as the automation of all the parameters per step. It's for me actually one of the strongest points for the "Maschine Method".

SilverNeedle

Post by SilverNeedle » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:12 am

I have Maschine, I know I really haven't pushed it though. I occasionally use it in stand alone for just messing about and it can be quite fun to play with like that (id always bounce and bring into Logic to mix though)

Downloaded the Live template the other day but haven't had chance to get any kind of flow with it yet. I haven't built my own either, but I'd still recommend it.