export audio for selected tracks

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
snakedogman

export audio for selected tracks

Post by snakedogman » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:31 pm

In the export dialog we currently have the options to export:

a. the master
b. all tracks
c. one specific track, chosen from a list of all tracks in the liveset

It seems odd that the only other very obvious option is missing, which is:

d. the selected tracks.

You might want to export just the drums, but they are split into several tracks. Not possible with Live. You'll have to either export all tracks and delete the files you didn't need, or export each track individually.
Ableton can we please have the option (yes I know, a dirty word for Ableton) to export a combination of several tracks at the same time?

aviavi

Re: export audio for selected tracks

Post by aviavi » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:12 am

+1

the_muffin_man

Post by the_muffin_man » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:02 pm

Maybe you already thought of these, but here's what I would try.

1. If you can, put the tracks you need into a Group - you should be able to select that track upon export.
2. Route all of the tracks you need into a return track. I'm pretty sure you can export a return track. If not, keep them routed to a return track, then create a new audio track, and tell it to take it's audio from the return track. Play your song through once, and record the output from that return into the audio track.

TYLRbass

Post by TYLRbass » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:15 pm

the_muffin_man wrote:Maybe you already thought of these, but here's what I would try.

1. If you can, put the tracks you need into a Group - you should be able to select that track upon export.
2. Route all of the tracks you need into a return track. I'm pretty sure you can export a return track. If not, keep them routed to a return track, then create a new audio track, and tell it to take it's audio from the return track. Play your song through once, and record the output from that return into the audio track.
This solution might work for the OP but in my case I'd like to group all of my channels into 5 stem layers and then export only the 5 groups and master channel.. currently I'm stuck using the All Tracks option, which is fine because I end up with all of those extra .wavs for each individual channel and I just archive those in case my project file goes missing, gets corrupted, etc... BUT it would be nice to simply render my master channel ( to then be sent to mastering ) and my 5 stem layers ( to load into my performance template ) 8)

so +1

erikomic

Post by erikomic » Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:51 pm

If you haven't used Speaker ON/OFF automation, you can just turn Off all unecessary tracks and render master track. Wich would be pretty much like rendering selected tracks.
(With the master plugins OFF if you plan to remix those stems all together...)

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:27 pm

:?:

I am not following the above advice :oops:

Let me make clear. If I want to export stems, I don't want every single track. I just want the main buses (e.g. kick, main perc, additional perc, mid synth, hi synth, ambient sounds, fx buses). I don't want all the tracks inside these groups (snare, hats, toms, more toms, yet more toms, claps, more toms... um, you get my drift).

If I turn these sub group tracks off as suggested above, they will not render, period, and they will be missing from the buses.

So having an option to checkbox which track I want out (and possibly which I want stereo, mono, etc) would be very useful.

The current setup does not bother me. I only have to send stems to a mastering engineer when I actually finish a track, which is once every second blue moon in years beginning with R. But if someone was using Live intensively and professionally to render such stems, the current setup is far from ideal...

erikomic

Post by erikomic » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:49 pm

you might make a new session and just import the tracks needed via the browser > then render-export all tracks.

But of course if the option existed it would be cool
Last edited by erikomic on Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TYLRbass

Post by TYLRbass » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:54 pm

erikomic wrote:Turn off all unwanted tracks is what I meant and export via the master bus...
This works, but it also means that you have to do multiple renders, one for each stem that you are trying to export..

Trust me, I've gone through all of the possible workarounds and the feature request still stands. I appreciate the effort and tips on how to get around this in the meantime but it would really save me (and the OP) a ton of time if we could select which Tracks or Groups to render, check boxes would be nice. 8)

erikomic

Post by erikomic » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:28 pm

erikomic wrote:you might make a new session and just import the tracks needed via the browser > then render-export all tracks.

But of course if the option existed it would be cool
This is pretty much the easiest way to do it I think...
(sorry I edited the post before seeing you had answered to it.)