How to locate a sound you have no idea where it is coming fr

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
CancerRidden

How to locate a sound you have no idea where it is coming fr

Post by CancerRidden » Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:25 am

Is there a way in Ableton to locate a sound where you have no idea where it is coming from?

aioffermann

Re: How to locate a sound you have no idea where it is coming fr

Post by aioffermann » Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:54 am

You must use yo bwaaaaaaain

PHY6

Post by PHY6 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:58 am

Any shrink will do...

CancerRidden

Post by CancerRidden » Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:03 am

yup, had to use the old noggin, it was a reverb turning on that was catching artifacts from noise that was being generated earlier in the track

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:03 am

CancerRidden wrote:yup, had to use the old noggin, it was a reverb turning on that was catching artifacts from noise that was being generated earlier in the track
I often really like artifacts once they went trough a reverb and might actually decide to just leave 'em in :)

marcoskohler

Post by marcoskohler » Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:41 pm

Another retarded post!

aioffermann

Post by aioffermann » Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:57 pm

marcoskohler wrote:Another retarded post!
Wow, you're a dick.

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:41 am

What is so retarded my enlightened internet friend, liking artifacts after they went through a reverb, or deciding to leave 'em in!?
Or did you mean your own post?
Inquiring minds want to know... :roll:

ian_halsall

Post by ian_halsall » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:11 am

I tell you what I like but it's quite hard to capture - when you hit spacebar in the middle of the song being played amd all the fx cut out but you get these really nice sounds as it decays away - very difficult to reproduce (bit of a Jaffa)

SuburbanThug

Post by SuburbanThug » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:50 pm

TomViolenz wrote:
What is so retarded my enlightened internet friend, liking artifacts after they went through a reverb, or deciding to leave 'em in!?
I think he was just indicating that rather than post what he meant it would be better if he just said "Another retartded post" rather than make you read his actual retarded post and possibly take it seriously.

TYLRbass

Post by TYLRbass » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:19 pm

ian_halsall wrote:I tell you what I like but it's quite hard to capture - when you hit spacebar in the middle of the song being played amd all the fx cut out but you get these really nice sounds as it decays away - very difficult to reproduce (bit of a Jaffa)
I love when that happens.. not easy to record because obviously as you hit the spacebar any recording will stop but I'm sure its possible to route the audio into another program or record the output of your sound card some how..

I've actually experimented with deleting everything in my arrangement at certain arbitrary points to try and achieve this effect in a track but it doesn't seem to sound the same as abruptly hitting the spacebar..

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:57 pm

TYLRbass wrote:
ian_halsall wrote:I tell you what I like but it's quite hard to capture - when you hit spacebar in the middle of the song being played amd all the fx cut out but you get these really nice sounds as it decays away - very difficult to reproduce (bit of a Jaffa)
I love when that happens.. not easy to record because obviously as you hit the spacebar any recording will stop but I'm sure its possible to route the audio into another program or record the output of your sound card some how..

I've actually experimented with deleting everything in my arrangement at certain arbitrary points to try and achieve this effect in a track but it doesn't seem to sound the same as abruptly hitting the spacebar..
Yeah recording those FX'd artifacts is probably the more professional approach :oops:

But I actually like this sort of randomness. It is almost to me as if those belong to the things that make a "personal sound". Like certain artifacts were always part of the "analog sound". (referring to analog synth here mostly)

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:00 pm

SuburbanThug wrote:
TomViolenz wrote:
I think he was just indicating that rather than post what he meant it would be better if he just said "Another retartded post" rather than make you read his actual retarded post and possibly take it seriously.
Without meaning to troll, that's actually why I put the "or did you mean your own post" line in. It seemed a possibility... 8)

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:02 pm

If the post was so retarded, why u putting it through reverb?