Akai LPD8

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Amrod

Akai LPD8

Post by Amrod » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:29 am

Hey guys, sorry if the is already a thread but I searched and nothing answers what I want. Basically I'm getting back into using ableton but going to start using controllers more. My question is does the Akai LPD8 auto assign its knobs to each effect or device that is opened? When I switch between effects or device will it auto assign? Or if I have to manually sync the knobs will it remember each time I open a new effect or device and or a new session?

Cheers.

Theo Void

Re: Akai LPD8

Post by Theo Void » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:42 am

There are midi remote scripts floating around the internet that will give you "blue hand" control w/ the lpd8. So yes, it can definitely be done.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=144774

Post by 102455 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:47 am

It seems to me that you require something like Automap from Novation.

See here http://uk.novationmusic.com/software/automap

Amrod

Post by Amrod » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:19 am

Thanks for the quick feed back guys. I believe I have read that the Akai LPD8 is auto mapping (correct me if I'm wrong) so in this case does that mean what my original question was?

Cheers.

Amrod

Post by Amrod » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:25 am

Just checked again and it doesn't say auto mapping, getting mixed up with different units. I've been looking at loads and they have all mushed into one lol. Can you guys suggest any controllers that are small but could auto assign? Like I want. I have toyed with the idea of second hand APC20 or the 40, launchpad and novation zero mkII. I ideally want same cheaper units, my setup would be something like nanokontrol2, lpd8 and a midi keyboard.

Cheers.

Timbeaux

Post by Timbeaux » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:28 am

launchpad, definetly for ur first gear.

nocturn as 2nd, cause u need small setup.

and the sizes of LP and Nocturn fit together

Theo Void

Post by Theo Void » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:48 am

I would definitely suggest the launchpad. I own a ridiculous amount of MIDI controllers, expensive, elaborate, and simple ones and I have to say that my Launchpad is used most out all of them. That said, it does not automatically map to the 8 macro knobs the way you want it to, but there are numerous midi remote scripts that will do it.
I use this one.
http://motscousus.com/stuff/2011-07_Nov ... e_Scripts/

The above script turns the launchpad into a full scale controller for live. Device control, step sequencing, macro(blue hand) is what your interested in, and much more.
Theres also the native kontrol scripts that are AMAZING!!! LPC is $30 but worth every penny! They even have PUSH emulations.
http://www.nativekontrol.com/LPC-Live.html

In case your wondering the rows of buttons can control knobs in the soft-ware.

I love my launchpad and if it ever broke I would instantly buy another one. It is in-valuable.
But like I said above^^^ There are scripts for the lpd8 and most other mainstream controllers to give the functionality you want.

Amrod

Post by Amrod » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:08 pm

Thanks for that, I will now look into scripts and find some that will work. I looked at the Nocturn but would like actual sliders for volume control, hence nanokontrol2.

Cheers.

darkenedsoul

Post by darkenedsoul » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:20 pm

The LPD8 with the other script will map to the 8 knobs for Live devices. Search for Akai LPD8 and you should find several threads, some should have a link to a script/setup that someone was kind enough to put out for us to use. I use it on mine. I haven't done much, if anything, with it in Live 9 so far. But it worked fine in Live 8 for basic knob twiddling. The other gear if you want to get more elaborate, but don't forget the LPD8 does have the 8 pads as well and works well with Impulse or Drum Racks (if set up properly for moving among the rows of pads).

Mike
http://www.darkenedsoul.net - main website
Ableton Live 8.x/9.x : NI Komplete 8 : Home built 4690K 16GB 500GB SSD, 1TB 7200, 2x2TB.

Theo Void

Post by Theo Void » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:32 pm

Look at the second post in this thread! i linked you to a thread right here on the live forum w/ a download link for the script, video tutorial for install, use, etc.

Amrod

Post by Amrod » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:46 pm

Well for what I want I'm going to go for the lpd8 with that script, coz I need pads for drums and to control the drum rack. Then maybe the nanokontrol for controlling the session view, ie volumes, sends, arming, solo, and muting, or a nocturn to do that and set it up to control ableton.

What you guys think?

Was thinking as well maybe the touchosc app for ipad as a clip launcher?

Cheers.

frapal

Post by frapal » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:45 pm

Hi
I couldn't find the link you mentioned #theovoid in reference to script for the Lpd8.
Thanks
Francis Ko
soundcloud.com/francisk0
facebook.com/franciskomusic