Push developer kit: M4L devices for Push!

Discuss Push with other users.
Shokol8

Re: Push developer kit: M4L devices for Push!

Post by Shokol8 » Wed May 01, 2013 1:03 pm

S4racen wrote:
astartes72 wrote: Just my two cents, but a Kit like this for the other grid Based Controllers (Launchpad, the APC´s, the livid Controllers) would be awsome....
Challenge as it would involve re-writing the whole of the remote-script for this kind of work to be repeated... The APC40 for example is a nightmare to hack with all the different ways that it can be flushed and grab control back to the defaults...

Cheers
D
I do agree but for the APC 40 , for a fist of dollars you can already get a beautiful config. made by nativecontrol at this adresse http://www.nativekontrol.com/apC_Series.html , watch the vid', but then true if you want to perform the remote script yourself, sell it after for the time consuming, if it's really woth the changes!
Shokol8
Paris, Bristol
MBP i5 2.3Gh 8GB 500SSD, 1TB HDD
Sierra Suite 9.7 Edirol FA101
CME VX5, Irig Keys Pro
APC40/Push 1
Ipad Air, Alesis I/O dock, NI S4 & F1
http://soundcloud.com/dr_goldsylver-fastfinger

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Wed May 01, 2013 4:22 pm

tregouetsylvain@yahoo.fr wrote: I do agree but for the APC 40 , for a fist of dollars you can already get a beautiful config. made by nativecontrol at this adresse http://www.nativekontrol.com/apC_Series.html , watch the vid', but then true if you want to perform the remote script yourself, sell it after for the time consuming, if it's really woth the changes!
I would rather people visited www.isotonikstudios.com and got the Isotonik device from there if we're advertising ;-)

Cheers
D

Shokol8

Post by Shokol8 » Wed May 01, 2013 9:14 pm

S4racen wrote:
tregouetsylvain@yahoo.fr wrote: I do agree but for the APC 40 , for a fist of dollars you can already get a beautiful config. made by nativecontrol at this adresse http://www.nativekontrol.com/apC_Series.html , watch the vid', but then true if you want to perform the remote script yourself, sell it after for the time consuming, if it's really woth the changes!
I would rather people visited http://www.isotonikstudios.com and got the Isotonik device from there if we're advertising ;-)

Cheers
D
well fair play , ididn't know they had a solution for the APC40, I really wonder if i'm going to sell it now, i will keep it in place plus the push! arghh!
And btw , i wasn't advertising , as i havn't bought the config. i did think a lot about it, but experimenting making songs, i wasn't ready to invest more yet!
Shokol8
Paris, Bristol
CME VX5, Irig Keys Pro
APC40/Push 1

sphiralstudios

Post by sphiralstudios » Thu May 02, 2013 5:45 am

First of all, thanks flocked for all your work! I also immediately saw the monome-emulator (plus!) potential of Push and was glad to see no time was wasted by those more skilled than I in implementing this possibility.

Today I got tired of waiting for 9.0.4 official release and downloaded the beta so I could try out the dev kit, since you posted it fixed the problems in 9.0.3. (I had originally tried it with 9.0.3 with the same problems previously described by others). Sadly, I still have yet to get the Push objects to operate properly.

Now I can grab the grid using push_grid but only with a toggle, i.e. Device/Track Selected does not seem to be working for me. I saw because789 had similar problems with Device/Track Selected but couldn't figure out how to patch the posted solution into this object since it isn't a subpatcher.

When I go through the Interactive Overview patch, all kinds of weird things are happening. The only things that seem to work properly are the display and I think the encoders.

I get multiple <"SpecialPhysicalDisplay" object has no attribute 'send_value'> errors when I grab the grid with push_grid, and another one when I try to send any message to it. No output from push_grid when pushing the pads. I tried replacing the contents of push_grid with the patch posted by because789 but with no change in behavior.

Also a <'PadButtonElement' object has no attribute '_set_mode'> error when I grab or try to change the mode of the touchstrip, also no output from push_touchstrip.

push_scene_buttons doesn't seem to respond at all. push_state_ and push_select_buttons seem to grab the right buttons (they go dark) but the test messages light up different buttons than they should. The "set 2 2 2" message to push_select_buttons makes the 'Double' button on the left of the Push blink, for example. None of them are producing output except push_select_buttons, and that only when I push the 'Double' button, not the select buttons. Also when I release push_select_buttons, the Double key continues to blink.

I'm a long-time Max user, though I wouldn't say I'm a guru by any stretch. I haven't spent a lot of time with M4L specifically, and my programming skills aren't strong enough to go 'digging around.' It's disconcerting that I'm having these problems when it seems no one else is? Hopefully I'm missing something obvious. I have my Ableton User Library on an external HD; I've tried running the devices from that folder as well as from the Cycling 74 folder on my internal HD just in case there was a path issue though I wouldn't think there should be. I've also tried redownloading the dev kit (and restarting everything). I'm running Live 9.0.4B1, Max 6.1.2 (full), 32bit of course, on a MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo OS 10.6.8.

Thanks for any help - I can't wait to get this stuff working, especially since my new arc4 should be shipping soon (I skipped shelling out the $ for a monome grid specifically because I knew the Push was going to be my grid) I guess my next step should be reinstalling 9.0.2 and seeing if I have the same problems.

greaterthanzero

Post by greaterthanzero » Sat May 04, 2013 2:06 am

I haven't installed the 9.0.4 beta -- your problems may be common there for all I know.

neuromodulator

Post by neuromodulator » Sat May 04, 2013 3:56 am

between the beta and the current release version, some of the push controller numbers changed. that's why you're having problems. some of the devices in the kit will need new arguments (e.g. "control_surfaces 0 controls 13" might be "control_surfaces 0 controls 14" now). learn to use "get name" and "getinfo" messages with live.objects hooked up to a "print" object; with that you can figure out %99 of any task you want to accomplish.

sphiralstudios

Post by sphiralstudios » Sun May 05, 2013 6:59 am

right on, thanks. looked into this and fixed almost all the problems. I found the controller numbers for 9.0.4 beta to be:

grid - 137
select buttons - 50
state buttons - 59
scene buttons - 68
touchstrip - 139

hope that saves folks some time.

the only error I'm getting now is the touchstrip still doesn't see _set_mode. For now the pitch bend mode is good enough for me, but something in there isn't working right for me.

Incidentally, I did try reinstalling 9.0.2 to see if the old controller numbers worked there but still had problems. Not too concerned though since getting these to work.

Now I just need to get the Device/Track selected object to work so I don't have to use the toggles to grab the push objects. Will the patch hashed out earlier in this thread by flocked and because789 do that? Where do I put it?

cheers

BlennyMusic

Post by BlennyMusic » Sun May 05, 2013 9:08 pm

astartes72 wrote: Back to Topic: Any Plans from the ceators site to port more M4L Monome devices? (i hope so as i can´t get my head around M4L, so i´m only a user)
I've just finished porting the Monome application Boiingg over to Push using this developer kit. It's working in 9.0.2 with Max 6.1.2.

I've rewritten most of the user interface code but have only slightly modified the underlying javascript. I've converted the user interface objects to maxforlive objects so patterstorage can be used. This is very nice because the presets can be stored in your session. I've taken advantage of the select and state buttons so one can scale through presets while the song is playing. You can also change the note on each column using the encoders and save presets all using Push.

I'll post a video link shortly.

Shokol8

Post by Shokol8 » Sun May 05, 2013 9:44 pm

BlennyMusic wrote:
astartes72 wrote: Back to Topic: Any Plans from the ceators site to port more M4L Monome devices? (i hope so as i can´t get my head around M4L, so i´m only a user)
I've just finished porting the Monome application Boiingg over to Push using this developer kit. It's working in 9.0.2 with Max 6.1.2.

I've rewritten most of the user interface code but have only slightly modified the underlying javascript. I've converted the user interface objects to maxforlive objects so patterstorage can be used. This is very nice because the presets can be stored in your session. I've taken advantage of the select and state buttons so one can scale through presets while the song is playing. You can also change the note on each column using the encoders and save presets all using Push.

I'll post a video link shortly.
I can't wait to see that! ;D
Shokol8
Paris, Bristol
CME VX5, Irig Keys Pro
APC40/Push 1

BlennyMusic

Post by BlennyMusic » Mon May 06, 2013 3:13 am

tregouetsylvain@yahoo.fr wrote: I can't wait to see that! ;D
Here you go!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cP8fTsZ4334

Dchild

Post by Dchild » Mon May 06, 2013 7:10 am

@BlennyMusic - Looks great, are you planning on sharing?

irrelevance

Post by irrelevance » Mon May 06, 2013 8:00 am

BlennyMusic wrote:
Here you go!

Great to see development for this device so soon! Looks very interesting. I did notice an audible glitch at 1.10 when you switched from filter tweaking to sequence.

BlennyMusic

Post by BlennyMusic » Mon May 06, 2013 12:16 pm

Dchild wrote:@BlennyMusic - Looks great, are you planning on sharing?
Thanks! Absolutely! See below.
irrelevance wrote:
BlennyMusic wrote:
Here you go!

Great to see development for this device so soon! Looks very interesting. I did notice an audible glitch at 1.10 when you switched from filter tweaking to sequence.
You're right. This glitch happens occasionally when using external VSTs / Live effects with high CPU usage or when switching devices. For this glitch it's the latter. I'm still working out a couple bugs, hence the reason I haven't released this out into the wild yet. It seems to be related to efficient data flow through the max patch which is harder than one would think. Dealing with the javascript adds a level of complexity. I did, however, want to get a video out to demonstrate what's possible with max for live, this developer kit, and Push. Florian Zand has done a great job putting this kit together. Without it, development would be taking much longer.

Because789

Post by Because789 » Tue May 07, 2013 8:27 pm

sphiralstudios wrote:right on, thanks. looked into this and fixed almost all the problems. I found the controller numbers for 9.0.4 beta to be:

grid - 137
select buttons - 50
state buttons - 59
scene buttons - 68
touchstrip - 139

hope that saves folks some time.
Thanks for that!
sphiralstudios wrote:Now I just need to get the Device/Track selected object to work so I don't have to use the toggles to grab the push objects. Will the patch hashed out earlier in this thread by flocked and because789 do that? Where do I put it?
Maybe you already figured it out but if not, you have to replace "path control_surfaces $1 components 150" by "path control_surfaces $1 components 148" in the Device/Track select object (right click on the object, "Object", "New View of <none>").
Live 9.5 (64bit), Max 7.0.6, Windows 10, Push 2, Korg electribe2, Bass Station II, Launch Control XL, Faderfox DJ3

M4L

nbyte

Post by nbyte » Wed May 08, 2013 8:56 pm

Does anyone figured out the right numbers for "This device entered.amxd" and "Push_Display.amxd" to work?