Help With Drum Rack in Ableton Live

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
isaacturner

Help With Drum Rack in Ableton Live

Post by isaacturner » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:33 am

Hey guys, I got my Ableton Launchpad pretty recently, and I love it, but I have one problem. I want to set up drums on my launch pad trhough drum rack, just like all the tutorials say. I go to the plugins tab, I click on the instruments folder, and I see the Simpler and Impulse plugin, and the instrument rack and the drum rack folder. When I click on either of those there is nothing but a folder that says "current project." As if the plug in isn't there. I really hope I can get some help on this. Thank you for your time. -Isaac

T.L.D.R. Drum rack and instrument plug in is missing.

darkenedsoul

Re: Help With Drum Rack in Ableton Live

Post by darkenedsoul » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:46 pm

First off, what version of Live are you running (32 bit/64 bit)? What OS are you running on? If Live 9, did you download your packs from Your Software from your account at ableton.com? You need to give us more information in order to try and assist you. Also look at the help area of ableton.com as it may answer some of your questions.

Mike
http://www.darkenedsoul.net - main website
Ableton Live 8.x/9.x : NI Komplete 8 : Home built 4690K 16GB 500GB SSD, 1TB 7200, 2x2TB.

isaacturner

Post by isaacturner » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:11 pm

I have Live 8 Launchpad Edition (8.2.1). I got a Mac Book Pro Snow Lepord 64 Bit. Please Help.

darkenedsoul

Post by darkenedsoul » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:14 am

Well I can't be of much help due to a) do not have a launchpad and b) not on Mac computer. But, did you load all the packs in that came with the launchpad edition disc(s)? I can't help you beyond that. Check the main ableton site under Help as well.

Sorry I can't be of much assistance.

Mike
http://www.darkenedsoul.net - main website
Ableton Live 8.x/9.x : NI Komplete 8 : Home built 4690K 16GB 500GB SSD, 1TB 7200, 2x2TB.

DJ_Zombot

Post by DJ_Zombot » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:40 pm

Can you even use drum racks with the launchpad edition? I thought you had to have full or suite to use drum racks.

ttilberg

Post by ttilberg » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:09 pm

I believe you cannot create new drum racks, but you can load existing ones. This is why the drum rack "device" is missing from the menu.

You'll need to find existing presets. -- I think you can download some Live Packs from the site for free --- Like the Drum Machines pack -- I think that one is free? Good luck!
Tim Tilberg - Duluth, MN | SoundCloud - Arsenal
2011 13" MBP w/8GB ram | Live 9 Suite, Reason 6.5, FXPansion DCAM/Etch/Maul, Izotope Ozone 5

boderekstits

Post by boderekstits » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:16 am

yes the Drum Machine racks are free and great.

isaacturner

Post by isaacturner » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:07 pm

Great thanks so much guys! This is what I found http://blog.braindub.com/brazzarack/

Is this what you were talking about?

boderekstits

Post by boderekstits » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:50 pm

no. the drum machine kits we are talking about are available from ableton's website. essentially they are drum racks created from classic drum machine samples. and it's free (I'm pretty sure).

ttilberg

Post by ttilberg » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:48 pm

2011 13" MBP w/8GB ram | Live 9 Suite, Reason 6.5, FXPansion DCAM/Etch/Maul, Izotope Ozone 5

isaacturner

Post by isaacturner » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:59 pm

That looks like what I could be looking for but it says Page was not found. And I am pretty sure the drum rack should have came with abelton live launchpad edition because this guy http://www.wimp.com/launchpadmashup/ made his stuff in user 1 mode and dragged his sounds into the drum rack.

ttilberg

Post by ttilberg » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:36 pm

Nah, it's well documented that Launchpad edition cannot modify drum racks. I feel like I remember a statement going out a while ago that says that the launchpad edition won't exist any longer, and that it just operates as an Intro license... Or maybe it was the other way around. Either way, you should contact Ableton support for a feature comparison, because I can no longer find it on their website. Maybe if you're lucky, and it is the case that Launchpad editions are now treated as "intro" (which include drum racks) you might be able to get an intro license -- who knows.

It looks like Drum Machines live pack is only at standard level and higher, so that's probably why it isn't available to you.

You have to realize that the version of Live you are playing with is basically just a limited demo version so that there is at least SOME software to hook up when you buy the hardware.

I highly recommend downloading a proper Live Trial and playing with that a bit. For 30 days you can use the trial to full extent, saving and everything -- afterwards the only limitation is that saving is disabled (I believe?)

isaacturner

Post by isaacturner » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:54 pm

Are you sure the LaunchPad edition doesn't have drum rack capabilities? Check out this screenshot. http://imgur.com/0EHZJU6,qlPRt5R

ttilberg

Post by ttilberg » Wed May 01, 2013 2:39 pm

Yes, you can only load preset drumracks, not edit existing ones (meaning you cannot create a new one either). That's why we were suggesting using a live pack that has drum racks.

The disk your Launchpad came with should have some presets to install though as well, so you at least have something to play with. And there should be (used to be????) free packs on Ableton's site. But now that everything you see is tied to your account, it's hard for me to help you, as I see everything available.

You should consider contacting Ableton support directly for this issue, they can give you the official words, and maybe help point you in the right direction.

isaacturner

Post by isaacturner » Sun May 05, 2013 5:28 pm

ttilberg wrote:Yes, you can only load preset drumracks, not edit existing ones (meaning you cannot create a new one either). That's why we were suggesting using a live pack that has drum racks.

The disk your Launchpad came with should have some presets to install though as well, so you at least have something to play with. And there should be (used to be????) free packs on Ableton's site. But now that everything you see is tied to your account, it's hard for me to help you, as I see everything available.

You should consider contacting Ableton support directly for this issue, they can give you the official words, and maybe help point you in the right direction.
Okay when I get home in a week Il check the disc and hopefully I will find something. Thank You.