Battery vs. Drum Racks?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Citizen

Battery vs. Drum Racks?

Post by Citizen » Wed May 01, 2013 6:32 am

I've had Komplete for a while now, but I've never really bothered to look into Battery a great deal. I understand that it is a great drum sampler, but what advantages does it offer a user that already uses Drum Racks in Live?

In a nutshell, it's it worth adding that one extra layer of complexity to your projects to gain the functionality within Battery? :?:

Citizen

Re: Battery vs. Drum Racks?

Post by Citizen » Wed May 01, 2013 10:51 am

Gee, tough crowd...

Anyone?

Asymmetricalmusic

Post by Asymmetricalmusic » Wed May 01, 2013 2:09 pm

I was at this cross road and I choose Drum Racks because of CPU, I did grab all the wav files and adapted them to drum racks. It's a pain in the ass in that respect but I've never looked back.

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Wed May 01, 2013 3:11 pm

I haven't used Battery since DrumRacks, and I don't see why anyone would.

agent314

Post by agent314 » Wed May 01, 2013 4:57 pm

I use Battery every now and again for the sound library, but in terms of functionality and workflow integration drum racks are the winners hands down

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Wed May 01, 2013 4:58 pm

I took my favorite kits from battery and ported them to DrumRacks long ago, and now I dont even use them.

v00d00ppl

Post by v00d00ppl » Wed May 01, 2013 4:59 pm

Asymmetricalmusic wrote:I was at this cross road and I choose Drum Racks because of CPU, I did grab all the wav files and adapted them to drum racks. It's a pain in the ass in that respect but I've never looked back.

I feel the same way about battery. It eats up more cpu on my i7 920 processor than a drum rack would. Battery 4 is nice with the concept that each individual cell has individual outputs, but I can output individually on drum racks too. Battery 4 has the solid mix series of compressors, but with live9's stock compressor and max for live compresors just know how to use a compressor correctly.

Battery 4 does have a cool transient designer, but there's free transient designers out there.

for me ;drum racks rule everything around me (D.R.E.A.M.)
SSL X Desk / Apollo Twin Solo / Sherman Restyler / Ensoniq EPS Classic / Analog Keys / Handsome Audio Zulu

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed May 01, 2013 7:24 pm

JuanSOLO wrote:I haven't used Battery since DrumRacks, and I don't see why anyone would.
When Live isn't the only DAW you use.

stallos

Post by stallos » Wed May 01, 2013 8:04 pm

have found love for battery again with the latest update to version 4
I also use drum racks but started with battery so still use it in projects

theres something just comforting about batterys big pads and the new gui is really slick looking in the new version
The new NI compressors are there which is nice but i also have drum racks and glue compressor so spoilt for choice really
The waves are really easy on the eye and editing is cool

My uses are pretty basic really just firing some hits with simple patterns either played live or midi notes

But if the poster is looking for amazing things that battery does over drum racks I dont have a huge list really sorry
one thing is You can in one click, replace a sample in a cell with a fully fx'd resampled version of itself which is quite nice
Depends on what you are looking for, if racks work use them

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed May 01, 2013 9:01 pm

stallos wrote:have found love for battery again with the latest update to version 4
I also use drum racks but started with battery so still use it in projects

theres something just comforting about batterys big pads and the new gui is really slick looking in the new version
The new NI compressors are there which is nice but i also have drum racks and glue compressor so spoilt for choice really
The waves are really easy on the eye and editing is cool

My uses are pretty basic really just firing some hits with simple patterns either played live or midi notes

But if the poster is looking for amazing things that battery does over drum racks I dont have a huge list really sorry
one thing is You can in one click, replace a sample in a cell with a fully fx'd resampled version of itself which is quite nice
Depends on what you are looking for, if racks work use them

Also as far as I know drum racks don't have a tag based sample browser.

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Wed May 01, 2013 10:01 pm

Battery 4 sort of cosmetic update...no?
Maschine though has got it spot on.. and can also host plugins per 'sound'..
the NI stuff is set with limits...

Drum Racks + various Devices are still the more elaborate and flexible open ended...
almost to the point of abstract.
and now that we can drop Max/msp devices.. the only limit seems to be the CPU

delicioso

Post by delicioso » Wed May 01, 2013 10:21 pm

3dot... wrote:Battery 4 sort of cosmetic update...no?
Much more than cosmetic. There's a lot of new features from what I can see including new filter types that were introduced in Kontakt 5 like the 3 ladder low pass filters and the "daft" algo from Kontakt and Massive. Also has the cool formant filters and bandpass, highpass and notch. New effects including Solid EQ, Solid bus comp,Transient Master, tape saturation, one-knob compressor, new tag-based browser, lots of drag and drop functionality, sidechaining, LFOs and modulation possibilities, being able to apply effects per cell, to groups of cells, or to the master outs - with up to four separate busses, the intuitive routing options, realtime timestretch from Kontakt's Time Machine Pro too. And adds 70 brand-new kits. Certainly an improvement.

That said, I've rarely used Battery since getting Maschine.

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Wed May 01, 2013 10:52 pm

delicioso wrote:
That said, I've rarely used Battery since getting Maschine.
well that says it all doesn't it...

imo Battery4 was a waste of resources as Maschine had made it kindof obsolete..
although Maschine isn't a part of Komplete so battery takes care of drum needs for Komp users so it kindof makes sense..
they could've should've integrated Battery "cells" into Maschine if you ask me.. maybe in V2 ?
the way you can use fx in Maschine is more robust still..

battery was always a great product..
very snappy and easy workflow... (love how you could select pads with horizontal/vertical "scenes" and control them together...
has a very powerful Live MIDI control scheme that not too many I know took advantage of way back when..
and high quality library..
I'm betting Batt4 + Live9 session automation is mighty powerful combination
but yeah..I'm still on K7.. Maschine mostly takes care of drums for me now..
:oops:

moonpie

Post by moonpie » Wed May 01, 2013 11:32 pm

I like battery because of the quick articulations you can set up. Snare rolls, flams etc. Can you do any of these with maschine? This is why the main reason Im using battery now. Just for those quick artics from single samples. Doing them with midi and simpler in a believable way seems like the biggest pain in the ass to get right.

So mostly for hihats and snares Id prefer. Anybody recommend some good sample sets for cymbals for Battery? I like the various stock closed hihats, but any cymbal with sustain has this weird grainy artifact I dont like.

Asymmetricalmusic

Post by Asymmetricalmusic » Thu May 02, 2013 12:52 am

Ableton impulse for Life

What's up now! LoL

I kinda wonder why ableton still carries it over even to L9, oh well thats the least of my wonders about what ableton is thinking......